Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Confused . I NEED HELP!

Options
  • 12-08-2012 11:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13

hey,

Ive been teaching myself to produce music the last 8 months and ive been using FL studio. Im getting pretty solid at it but one thing i cannot seem to grasp is when changing from one melody to another on a single track. its quite hard to explain but the result of my productions usually sound like i put a load of tracks together in windows movie maker.

each melody sample i create for a song doesnt seem to sync in with the next.
    if anybody has any tips or link me to a video tutorial i would be very grateful

thank you
    Dale.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭Hayte

I dont understand what you mean. Do you mean that your songs seem to sound like they are obviously built from looping segments?

Theres a bunch of ways you can get around that, like scoring an entire section in one pattern. In the playlist window it will look like a really long clip rather than a series of short repeating clips with a few variations in different patterns. Later on you can break it up into smaller segments in their own patterns if you want.

If you wish to avoid the feeling of repetition and disjointedness you can also:

1) Play the entire melody from beginning to end on your keyboard and record all the MIDI directly into the playlist. This will preserve all the slight timing errors and happy accidents, but you need to play tight or it will sound like a mess. You can correct very obvious mistakes later by manually moving the note triggers around.

2) work on your composition. It may just be that your composition is disjointed with alot of obvious repetition and jarring transitions.

Its hard to say without seeing/hearing what you are talking about and the kind of music you are trying to write.

These days I like writing dance music that is intentionally based upon repetition so there are no verses or choruses or sudden changes. Its meant to be hypnotic so the idea is that you lose a sense of the beginning and end of the song and just get caught up in a continuous swell.

But heres the thing, your brain is really good at picking up on repeating patterns and its kind of annoying. So making deliberately repetitive music is not easy to do with loops. You have to disguise the obvious repetition a bit like how a texture artist tries to eliminate tiling effect. You want to make it seemless, not like its built from a bunch of repeating tiles.

Theres lots of ways to do that which involve trickery in production and composition but it helps to understand how your brain thinks about sound. The idea then is to lead your ear by making certain things stand out to focus your attention and then gradually shift that focus elsewhere. I find this hard to describe in words but it can be done using loops. It is however much more involved than just copy pasting blocks in the playlist. If you do that, it will sound repetitive in an obvious and annoying way.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Dale94

I think I get what your trying to say Im really thankful for the advice. thanks a million (:

Advertisement