Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can you test face protection?

Options
  • 12-08-2012 5:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭

Do retailers in Ireland allow you to test face protection before you buy it? Shouldn't they allow you to shoot it point blank with a gun under 1J to prove that it will withstand a shot when it matters?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,539 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

Buy eye protection with the relevant safety standard stamped on the lens and you won't need to test it.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭The Amazing Spiderman

Blay wrote: »
    Buy eye protection with the relevant safety standard stamped on the lens and you won't need to test it.
    What about full face and mouth protection though?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,901 ✭✭✭T4RGET

well I'm not trying to be funny but i can't see any retailer selling dodgey safety gear, that's just bad form. all lenses have little markings on them, usually in the top corners and there is a guide to show you what it can withstand, mine can take a 12g shotgun shot from 12feet, as for the mesh mask, most of them are metal mesh, have pretty small gaps and the mesh is bent slightly outward to increase strength.
    Don't think you have much to be worrying about mate :)

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭The Amazing Spiderman

T4RGET wrote: »
    well I'm not trying to be funny but i can't see any retailer selling dodgey safety gear, that's just bad form. all lenses have little markings on them, usually in the top corners and there is a guide to show you what it can withstand, mine can take a 12g shotgun shot from 12feet, as for the mesh mask, most of them are metal mesh, have pretty small gaps and the mesh is bent slightly outward to increase strength.
    Don't think you have much to be worrying about mate :)
    That's what I thought but watch this keep in mind this is shot in the USA and the guns are above 400 fps there. But I still wouldn't risk something as valuable as my sight by trusting these. Also the paint can ship off the mesh into your eyes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,901 ✭✭✭T4RGET

That's what I thought but watch this keep in mind this is shot in the USA and the guns are above 400 fps there. But I still wouldn't risk something as valuable as my sight by trusting these. Also the paint can ship off the mesh into your eyes.

that's worst case scenario though (I don't use mesh and never will, I have poor eye sight so mesh hinders it) BB's chipping and getting in behind the mesh is a bigger problem that what a 450 fps AEG can do. I've seen countless people wear those mesh goggles and non of them have even dented at our limit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭Inari

I'm sure Dex will be in here, but no, no retailer is going to let you shoot the eye or face protection, because shooting it effects the structural integrity of it. What a lot of people forget about is that your safety rating is effectively a once off - you're supposed to replace your lenses after any/every direct hit. Now realistically no one does this, as our limits are a measly 1j, but it's still not something you want to be doing.

If you go for ANSI rated eye protection (i.e. not mesh) then you've nothing to worry about.

As for the lower mesh masks and paint/BB's chipping - it can happen, put it's a lot less force than the BB hitting you instead, hence why you wear the mask! Due to the very nature of Mesh it will let particulates through, so if you do not want that to be able to happen then you wear a solid mask (which causes more fog).
    It's why I wear full goggles - I'm a wuss and don't like dust/grit in my eyes, so I take the positives with the negatives (e.g. fog etc), but I don't worry about it for my lower face - I just don't like getting shot in the mouth, so mesh it is!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,363 ✭✭✭gerrowadat

Yeah, a lot of eyepro has marks on it after a point blank hit with 1J.

I was in an airsoft shop in sweden before Berget, and they had done a bunch of stuff to the eyepro they were selling, put metal pellets, .22, and gravel shrapnel through it to demonstrate its stopping power.

Personally I think if it's not ESS, Bollé, or another well-known brand, it's not worth saving the 20 quid or so. Good-quality eyepro is cheap relative to its value, and I don't understand people who buy lowest-common-denominator ****e. protip: if the eyepro you're wearing cost less than your tac vest or pistol, you might be doing it wrong.

Advertisement