Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to buy fruit seeds?

Options
  • 12-08-2012 1:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭

I've been looking around online for fruit seeds, but everywhere only seems to sell vegetable seeds or 1-2 year old fruit trees. I want to start my own from scratch, but with nowhere selling the seeds, I might just have to buy the fruit and take the seeds out of them and plant them :rolleyes:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

Chiltern Seeds used to do them.

Fruit tends to be a little fiddly to grow from seeds, you may need to stratify the seeds, etc.

If you want lessons in how to grow fruit from seeds, PM me; I've an organic gardener friend who has developed his own apple breeds, etc; you could go down on a WWOOF weekend if you're prepared to work your butt off (as he and his family do).

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,482 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

the problem with growing apples from seed is that they don't come 'true' to the parent.
    the fruit of a particular tree is due to the genetic makeup of that tree; but a seed is 50% the genetic makeup of the pollinating tree, which is a different variety, and the genetic combination is random. so most trees grown from seed resemble crab apples, with only a few proving useful.

this is why apple trees are always sold as grafts - there has only ever been one bramley apple tree grown from seed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

Though my organic farmer buddy has grown on many apple trees from seed, and has delicious self-developed apple breeds now... I'm not sure if he grafts them onto a rootstock after starting them or what, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭Builderfromhell

Best place for trees is irish seedsavers in scariff Co. Clare
    http://www.irishseedsavers.ie/

Advertisement