Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows7/xp Partition Question?

Options
  • 12-08-2012 12:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭

hello,

my laptop is running windows 7 home premium. i have created a partition to put xp on it for work related reasons.

when i use the xp disc to load the partition i geta blue screen of death

Stop 0x0000007B or INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE.

now if i try to boot another disc, lets say windows 7 or vista disc it loads perfectly and i can choose a partition and i have no problems.

i have all versions of xp on different disc so i know its not something as silly as bad or marked discs. also i have tried the xp discs on different machines and they work fine.

so i know its something related to my machine.

is this a driver issue or boot issue. the blue screen happens when the xp disc is in the process of loaded drivers.

has anyone had a similar issue to this, any help would be appreicated!!!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,835 ✭✭✭Torqay

XP does not support SATA controllers natively hence it cannot detect the drive. During Windows Setup you will have to press F6 when prompted to load 3rd party drivers and then load the controller driver (which you may find at the manufacturer's web site) from a floppy disk. You laptop doesn't have a floppy drive? You can slipstream the drivers into a Windows XP installation CD (e.g. with nLite).

Installing XP after Windows Vista/7 isn't as straight forward as you may think:

How to dual boot Windows 7 and Windows XP’ with Windows 7 installed first

Have you considered a virtual machine with Windows XP instead? (VirtualBox is free)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

+1 on Virtubox - my 'stuff I don't want the wife to find' has never been safer! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭looking_around

If you want an XP & 7 partition, you need to install the older OS first and then the newer on seperate partition. Otherwise there's conflicts.

If you mean by "conflicts" that XP will overwrite the Windows 7 boot loader during the installation, the issue has been addressed in the tutorial which I have linked in my previous post. Otherwise, they'll live together happily ever after. ;)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,011 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Set the SATA mode from AHCI to Legacy/IDE mode in the bios as well if possible, may help. You will also need to slip stream SATA drivers as well (otherwise Windows XP setup won't find a drive at all)

Nick

• Advertisement

yoyo wrote: »
    Set the SATA mode from AHCI to Legacy/IDE mode in the bios as well if possible, may help. You will also need to slip stream SATA drivers as well (otherwise Windows XP setup won't find a drive at all)

Nick

Well, XP Windows Setup will find the drive if the controller is set to IDE without slipstreamed drivers. You can install XP in "IDE mode". Then you install the controller driver in XP, reboot and change back to AHCI. Windows XP should be working fine. Then restore the Windows 7 boot loader.

But if the OP's applications do not require 3D graphics acceleration, a virtual machine is the better solution. No hassle and in seamless mode, the XP applications integrate perfectly into the host environment.

Advertisement