Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help with my G&G M4 ! :(

Options
  • 12-08-2012 12:30am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 175 ✭✭

Okay, so I got back from my skirmish and decided to clean out the barrel. I did the normal procedure but I noticed that the barrel assembly was a bit loose. The body pin was also almost out so I decided to open the gun up for the first time to have a look-see. I found out that the kind lads at MIA had taken a little lazy shortcut and drilled the piston. :mad: but that's beside the point.
    So I just popped the upper receiver back in place and continued to clean the barrel. I normally re-adjust the hop-up before I put it away so I put in a fresh mag and fired away.

PROBLEM - My gun isn't feeding quite right. In semi-auto it goes ok for about ten shots then starts to dry-fire and double feed. I have never encountered any problems of such before and have no idea what it could be? Approx How much would it be for a gun tech to fix the gun? Any tips?

If it helps the gun is just over a year old and skirmished about 4-5 times.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭Southern Dandy

brian888 wrote: »
    Okay, so I got back from my skirmish and decided to clean out the barrel. I did the normal procedure but I noticed that the barrel assembly was a bit loose. The body pin was also almost out so I decided to open the gun up for the first time to have a look-see. I found out that the kind lads at MIA had taken a little lazy shortcut and drilled the piston. :mad: but that's beside the point.
    So I just popped the upper receiver back in place and continued to clean the barrel. I normally re-adjust the hop-up before I put it away so I put in a fresh mag and fired away.

PROBLEM - My gun isn't feeding quite right. In semi-auto it goes ok for about ten shots then starts to dry-fire and double feed. I have never encountered any problems of such before and have no idea what it could be? Approx How much would it be for a gun tech to fix the gun? Any tips?

Don't suppose the spring that separates the hop-up chamber from the receiver fell out while you dismantled it?

If you bring it to a tech, get yourself a new cylinder and spring. Your better off. No doubt this will open a tin of worms soon. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,901 ✭✭✭T4RGET

before you start over thinking this it could be something simple as the hop up rubber being dislodged after cleaning it. My advice is take the hop up unit apart and re-assemble it, then try again. if it's still not feeding properly, it may be something more serious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 175 ✭✭brian888

Don't suppose the spring that separates the hop-up chamber from the receiver fell out while you dismantled it?

If you bring it to a tech, get yourself a new cylinder and spring. Your better off. No doubt this will open a tin of worms soon. :)

You seem to be onto something there. Although I didn't see spring there at all ?

T4RGET wrote: »
    before you start over thinking this it could be something simple as the hop up rubber being dislodged after cleaning it. My advice is take the hop up unit apart and re-assemble it, then try again. if it's still not feeding properly, it may be something more serious.

Can you tell me how to do so? I have no experience and would like some help.:o

Have a look on youtube its not difficult at all.

The spring I mentioned is on the outside of the hop-up chamber, and when you slide the barrel and chamber back into the barrel it should spring back if you press it down if that makes sence.

• Advertisement

Can you tell me how to do so? I have no experience and would like some help.:o

hmm :p. it may the spring but my G&G Raider has no spring and it never mis feeds.
    I can walk you through it but tbh it's prob best to get a youtube video, or bring it to a retailer, if it's not too busy they may be able to do it there and then for ya, it's a 5 mins job. If you're up to it I'll post up a walkthrough for you?

yeah I probably lost that somehow. The barrel assembly is just sitting there loosely wobbling about until I push the receivers back in place.

yeah I probably lost that somehow. The barrel assembly is just sitting there loosely wobbling about until I push the receivers back in place.

what do you mean? the outer barrel or inner barrel?

hmm :p. it may the spring but my G&G Raider has no spring and it never mis feeds.
    I can walk you through it but tbh it's prob best to get a youtube video, or bring it to a retailer, if it's not too busy they may be able to do it there and then for ya, it's a 5 mins job. If you're up to it I'll post up a walkthrough for you?

Yeah I didn't even see the spring in the first place. I'd be delighted if you had the time to do that for me :) But I'd rather fix this gun and use it for the next few months before getting a new one.

I'm not too familiar with G&G aeg's now but most of the aegs Ive seen have that spring on the chamber.

They may very well have none, brands can vary. Its odd that the aeg worked perfect until you took off the receiver which led me down that path of the spring. I doubt its a gearbox issue but having said that could be just a coincidence.

• Advertisement

It could have been my firend tbh. I've been using it for over a year probably once a month till the last few weeks no probs whatsoever. I gave the friend the gun and I am guessing he didn't wind the BBs a lot and dry fired a good bit? I don't know what he did but I'm guessing it was that. All I did was open the gun up and looked at it for like 5 minutes then put it back promptly

• Registered Users Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭Inari

What is the 'normal' procedure that you followed? And which barrel assemble; inner or outer?

In all likelihood you will have pushed your hop up chamber and rubber slightly off of the inner barrel, resulting in your feeding problems. It happened a lad in the store the other week, though he had torn the hop up rubber as well.

If you're confident doing a bit of tinkering, all you have to do is separate the receivers, remove the inner barrel and hop up assembly, pop off the green circlip and remove the barrel from the hop up chamber (be sure to hold the chamber upside down) - apply downward pressure as you remove the barrel to take the hop rubber out with it.

Inspect the rubber, and provided it's not torn then reseat the hop rubber (there's a line in the rubber and on the barrel; you simply push it back on so that the mound sites inside the window in the barrel, and then you put the barrel back inside the hop chamber (there's a seam line on the chamber; keep the line in the barrel in line with that seam line) and then pop the circlop back on & test :)

Yeah I didn't even see the spring in the first place. I'd be delighted if you had the time to do that for me :) But I'd rather fix this gun and use it for the next few months before getting a new one.

even if you did loose the spring just take one out of a pen (the little spring found at the tip of the clicky pens) it may not fit perfectly but try it and see if it makes a difference.

aas fort he hop up:
    1) first thing is to obviously take the inner barrel out and move the aEG and anything else out of the way, some of the parts are pretty freakin' small :(
    2) to start. unscrew the small screw found on the plastic gear (the one you turn to adjust the hop up).
    then remove the other plastic gears on the outside of the chamber (use a flat head to remove the metal discs holding the gears together (I'm trying to do this form memory as I don't have on infront of me, so some of it may be a little off :P)
    3: take the gears off ( they hold each other together due to their design to start with the adjusting wheel removal then work from there). once they're off there should be a little silver pin towards the back of the chamber. take this off and you should be able to take out the arm that adjusts your hop up (the one at the top which pushes down into the chamber). NOTE: be careful taking the arm out, the hop up nub sits in that and it's tiny so don't loose it :)
    4)now flip the chamber upside and there should be a little plastic C-clip (it holds the inner barrel steady and you'll find it on the bottom of the hop up chamber towards the barrel, it being a G&G I'd say it's green)
    5) once that's out, the whole barrel will come out. there is a rubber at the end of this but it's petty hard to loose.
    6) now makes sure none of the rubber parts are torn and if you wanted to this is a perfect time to clean the inner barrel properly.
    7) to put the barrel back together, look into the rubber that was on the inner barrel and you should see a little raised area running along the inside fromw here you;re looking to what would then be the back, this raised area, will sit into the barrel which as a matching groove, makes sure that sites correctly before re-assembly.
    the rest of the hop up chamber is just the reverse of what i posted.
    I hope this helps mate

Lads I will give it a go later, as there is nothing to lose really. If I keep using it as is it will keep damaging the gun so I will have to fix it some way or another. If it's not fixable by me I will bring to a tech. If it's too much hassle I 'll have to skip a few skirmishes and wait for the new rifle to be bought.

Lads I will be away from the computer for an hour or two so ...
    Thanks for the advice, much appreciated.

Guys so I took the gun apart and re-assembled the hop-up as it was perfect to start with. I was wondering is the air nozzle supposed to move back and forth for each shot? and the gearbox is sounding shriekier is that makes sense.

So now after re-assembling the gun it's firing better but still not great. Also I have noticed I have to wind the mags waaayyy more often than usual now.

So now after re-assembling the gun it's firing better but still not great. Also I have noticed I have to wind the mags waaayyy more often than usual now.

so what's fixed and what's still wrong with it and yes the airnozzle should move back and forth a bit at least, if it didn't you'd have a broken tappet plate.

so what's fixed and what's still wrong with it and yes the airnozzle should move back and forth a bit at least, if it didn't you'd have a broken tappet plate.

The gun is the same, but a slight bit better on feeding now. Same problems sometimes doesn't feed and sometimes double feeds. The air nozzle is moving back and forth substantially. is that a problem?

I have to wind all of mags much more now, prob every 10-12 shots and the consistency isn't great.

The gun is the same, but a slight bit better on feeding now. Same problems sometimes doesn't feed and sometimes double feeds. The air nozzle is moving back and forth substantially. is that a problem?

I have to wind all of mags much more now, prob every 10-12 shots and the consistency isn't great.

what BB's do you use?

• Advertisement

SG Airsoft home brand mixed with MIAs home brand.

I sometimes use G&G but not all the time. maybe one bag of G&G every 6 bags of the cheap ones

I sometimes use G&G but not all the time. maybe one bag of G&G every 6 bags of the cheap ones

right I'm not going to say anything about your current BB's that's not fair on the retailers but swap to .20g king arms BB's and see how you get on. if you knwo anyone around that plays airsoft that uses them, try and use their BB's and see if it makes a difference with the KA BB's

Also I really wouldn't mix BB's of different brand, i may just be over cautious but I'd advise against it :)

I understand what you're trying to say :) But I have been mostly using these and haven't given me a problem before. I just can't see it... I will definitely try upgrade to better BBs tho because I seem to be using less and less every time I skirmish..

I understand what you're trying to say :) But I have been mostly using these and haven't given me a problem before. I just can't see it... I will definitely try upgrade to better BBs tho because I seem to be using less and less every time I skirmish..

could be a bad batch, try switching and see what happens.

mis feeds and double feeding is 9 out of 10 times down the either the BB or the hop up.

Where do you think I should go for someone to fix this for me? I really wanna just leave it be.

Where do you think I should go for someone to fix this for me? I really wanna just leave it be.

well i see you're in Dublin so you have a few options
    Sgairsoft I'm sure will fix it
    Hobbyairsoft is in rathcoole and I use as my main retailer for gear and repairs
    you could also get in contact with leftyflip, he's in dublin and does repairs

• Registered Users Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭Inari

I would heavily bet on the BB's being the culprit. Own brand BB's are run off in batches - they can be good, and they can be bad.

Personally I would say go for higher quality BB's - there are tonnes out there that people love, and are known for high quality:
    Excels, KSC, TM, G&G, KA, Bioval, Madbull Premium, etc.

Own brand BB's are cheaper, and cheaper for a reason. The higher quality BB's have more QC, and are shipped better so there is less chance of deformities occurring in transit etc.

Try different BB's first, definitely. If you're near enough to me I can give you BB's to try through it and see if it helps?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,363 ✭✭✭gerrowadat

SG Airsoft home brand mixed with MIAs home brand.

Ah jesus. You've pretty much mixed the worst known BBs available in Ireland with the second worst. Ignore the ****in lies they'll tell you about them being made in the same factory. They're not, and they're not worth the economy.

Buy REAL G&G, Excel, or King Arms BBs, then rule out BBs as the problem.

• Advertisement

Inari wrote: »
    If you're near enough to me I can give you BB's to try through it and see if it helps?

Haha Thanks for the offer but I'm not THAT broke, yet. ;) I will definitely try use some KA instead of the cheaper ones. The G&G ones I use sometimes are pretty good, yeah

Advertisement