Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gearbox and set up questions

Options
  • 11-08-2012 8:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 939 ✭✭✭

Hi folks looking to upgrade an m16 and have a few questions
    If I got one of these new ultimate v2 gearboxes , matched it with a ultimate hop up unit and a madbul ver II 6.03 would I get the quality I am aiming for given the money spent 200 odd yo yo s .

And what motor , and MOSFET maybe ?

After all that would it be lipo compatible ?
    Don't like the term lipo ready as it is vague across the brands

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭Southern Dandy

eddiejn wrote: »
    Hi folks looking to upgrade an m16 and have a few questions
    If I got one of these new ultimate v2 gearboxes , matched it with a ultimate hop up unit and a madbul ver II 6.03 would I get the quality I am aiming for given the money spent 200 odd yo yo s .

And what motor , and MOSFET maybe ?

After all that would it be lipo compatible ?
    Don't like the term lipo ready as it is vague across the brands

Don't see why you would not have a good set up there. Ultimate gearboxes are made by lonex and from what I seen of them in reviews they look quality. Talk to SOCOM he has that gearbox if you have any queries.

G&P M120 is always a good choice, there are a lot of great quality motors, systema magnum, tokyo marui EG's, list goes on...

As for the mosfet, Do you want burst settings, active breaking and all that jazz or do you just want to protect your trigger contacts? If al you want in a mosfet is preventing arcing then like I recommended to another fella make one your self. It's cheap as chips, and fairly easy to do if your good with your hands.

And yes that is all lipo ready. I think most, not all aeg's will accept 7.4v lipos no problem but 11.1v and your just asking for trouble unless it is heavily upgraded.

• Registered Users Posts: 939 ✭✭✭eddiejn

Thanks for the reply dandy , feel a lot more confident in the purchase decision ..
    This 16 is a special project and going to be running an extended long type silencer
    So inner barrel length need s to be longer than 630 believe it or not but at the moment bb s are nt clearing the silencer one in four splitting inside .
    What's the max barrel lenght that can be purchased ? And would the ultimate v2 m100 gearbox provide enough air behind the bb to still allow accuracy over distance ? For barrel lenght 700 + maybe even 800

• Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭$kilkenny

did u change the cylinder in the gearbox to the right size needed for your long barrel??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭Southern Dandy

eddiejn wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply dandy , feel a lot more confident in the purchase decision ..
    This 16 is a special project and going to be running an extended long type silencer
    So inner barrel length need s to be longer than 630 believe it or not but at the moment bb s are nt clearing the silencer one in four splitting inside .
    What's the max barrel lenght that can be purchased ? And would the ultimate v2 m100 gearbox provide enough air behind the bb to still allow accuracy over distance ? For barrel lenght 700 + maybe even 800

Yeah skilkenny is right, the air volume in your cylinder should be a an ideal ratio of 1.7:1 (I think) to volume in your barrel. Please someone correct me if im wrong but you may need a non ported cylinder for a longer barrel, these vary in class depending on the air volume.

The longest barrel I have seen is a 640mm never seen barrels at 700 or 800, the more time the bb stays in the barrel the more of a chance it will knock around in there an effect accuracy. Remember barrel length is not important (thats what she said). Ive seen cqb M4's with short TBB's and excellent hop-up's pushing further range than most long barreled aeg's.

• Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭$kilkenny

i might be wrong but what i picked up from reading about this before that a longer barrel will incease your accuracy yes no problem, but it hinders your effective range by a good bit because the bb spends more time slapping off the inside of your barrel, maybe even 10-20 meters with a 640mm barrel compared to a 270mm and maybe a 363mm barrel.

i remember someone also saying, i think it was inari that the best lenght barrel for range/accuracy is around 410mm

also an m16 is long as it is, around 1m and i have one and its a little tricky to manouver even outdoors, with your 640mm barrel your adding another 130mm to it and if you extend your inner barrel you cannot take off your silencer and your gun will be shorter, it will be as long as it is and you cannot change it in a matter of minutes. i made this mistake with my M4 cqb and a gemtech silencer, im planning on putting it back to original lenght now

have you skirmished the m16 yet with just the silencer on and see if you like it? if you find youself taking the silencer off all the time or banging into things with it then it might not be a great idea

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭Inari

Whether or not you get the 'quality' that you're aiming for depends on what your definition of quality is, and what exactly you are looking for the gun to do afterwards.

Remember that a gearbox is a relatively simple piece of equipment - all it does is cycle, so by changing it you're looking at making it cycle faster, more consistent, or looking for better trigger response. You can also try to make it more reliable, and run quieter. But realistically you're better off (in my opinion) starting from a base, as in all likelihood you're going to be changing parts as you go anyway. So your current gearbox would serve fine to upgrade.

What are you looking to get out of the gun? More range, better accuracy, higher levels of consistency, higher ROF, better trigger response, 3 rd burst etc?

Advertisement