Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Evrybody hatin' on G&G

Options
  • 11-08-2012 6:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭

I've decided to get back into airsoft after about a year break. When I was playing G&G were considered a high quality brand and were pretty much exclusive to very active airsofters because of the price of their guns (at that time they didn't accomadate the lower budget airsofters like me). So I've been looking through the forums the past few days and several times I have seen people criticizing the quality of G&G's recent products. So what exactly did they do to their guns that everybody is complaining about? Are they skimping out on their internals or what?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,984 ✭✭✭NakedDex

Airsofters need something to collectively b*tch about. Flavour of the month. It changes more often than celebrity break ups. Give it six weeks and it'll be something like "Thunder B's aren't loud enough", or ".23g is the new .25g".

• Registered Users Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭Inari

There have been quite a few changes:
    - Their nylon-fiber reinforced plastic used to be produced in Taiwan, and now they have switched that to Chinese plastic - not necessarily a bad move except that it now binds on the selector plate causing the gun to fire in full auto in safe, or to stay firing without finger on trigger. Solved by simply lubricating selector plate and body so that there's much reduced friction

- Gears: They always made their gears out of two different metals/alloys - the sector & bevel gear were made out of a much stronger one than the spur, which never mattered because there's not that much stress on the spur gear anyway. However now the sector gear is made out of that material too, which smacks of bad-idea.

- Screws: They've also since changed the screws used to seal the gearbox - they used to be hex screws, and have switched to philips (for the most part), and the heads seem to be an awful lot more prone to ringing than they used to.

All of those things don't mean that much, but it does take away from their products. They still make great guns, but with the likes of the raider I just cannot see it as a great gun for the money, when I know there are better ones for cheaper. They've never had great motors, and now there are more (albeit minor) issues, yet the price remains the same.

That's pretty much it, or at least as far as I know

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭Nuke1973

Inari wrote: »
    There have been quite a few changes:
    - Their nylon-fiber reinforced plastic used to be produced in Taiwan, and now they have switched that to Chinese plastic - not necessarily a bad move except that it now binds on the selector plate causing the gun to fire in full auto in safe, or to stay firing without finger on trigger. Solved by simply lubricating selector plate and body so that there's much reduced friction

- Gears: They always made their gears out of two different metals/alloys - the sector & bevel gear were made out of a much stronger one than the spur, which never mattered because there's not that much stress on the spur gear anyway. However now the sector gear is made out of that material too, which smacks of bad-idea.

- Screws: They've also since changed the screws used to seal the gearbox - they used to be hex screws, and have switched to philips (for the most part), and the heads seem to be an awful lot more prone to ringing than they used to.

All of those things don't mean that much, but it does take away from their products. They still make great guns, but with the likes of the raider I just cannot see it as a great gun for the money, when I know there are better ones for cheaper. They've never had great motors, and now there are more (albeit minor) issues, yet the price remains the same.

That's pretty much it, or at least as far as I know

The nylon fibre bodies bound to the selector plate too Kev

• Registered Users Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭MerryDespot

As Dex said, we've had a variation on this thread every six months with G&P, Classic Army (flavour of the year back in 2009 in terms of moaning), King Arms, Ares (Magpul Masada rubbish-ness anyone) - whatever.
    I can't speak for the newer G&Gs, as I haven't bought one of their aeg since I picked up a F2000 last year, but those that I did have never let me down and were good out of the box performers.
    I've had G&Ps crap themselves, a King Arms gearbox crack and even issues with a VFC (won't somebody think of the children - is anything sacred!?!)...

I wouldn't be overly surprised if we see more of this with all manufacturers. The simple fact is that none of us are awash with cash these days which means that less stuff gets bought, which means that corners have to be cut to keep profits up.

Of all the manufacturers the ones which have been consistenly least crap (rather than good) have been LCT and VFC. I've yet to have a serious problem with either - at least when purchased stock/new. The issues I mentioned above with a VFC were with a second hand aeg.

Aye, every manufacturer has issues, absolutely no doubt there.

It all comes back to a thread that was up here a while back on here about expectations. I guess it all falls back to what you expect from the gear.

For the record I do not dislike G&G - in fact I own their LR300, SCAR-L, F2000 and M4A1, and I love them all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,901 ✭✭✭T4RGET

i personally think it's not down to the fact that the Raiders are now 'bad', i think it's because they aren't as high of quality as they used to be. This for me has me doubting G&G's methods right now. Every company needs to make money and reduce costs were possible but by decreasing the build quality, it may still be a good AEG for the money but not as good as it was when first released so now people are worrying about G&G's motives. that's just what i think anyways, and that's how I see it right now. and also on a side note, this G&G hating as you say applies only or mainly to their combat machine range as their top tech stuff is still very good as far as i know :)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

It would take a rifle to appear on the market that when malfuncitons actually maims and disfigures players, to climb over Classic Army as the number 1 absolute ****box manafacturer.

Or JLS...they are ****ing awful aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭The Amazing Spiderman

TheDoc wrote: »
    It would take a rifle to appear on the market that when malfuncitons actually maims and disfigures players, to climb over Classic Army as the number 1 absolute ****box manafacturer.

Or JLS...they are ****ing awful aswell.
    Really? I always thought CA were regarded as a reasonably good brand (perhaps on par with Jing Gong)? Don't know about JLS's airsoft range but their music is utter rubbish!

Don't know about JLS's airsoft range

My opinion of them was forever tainted when T4RGET came into me and told me about his JLS rifle had sheared its outer barrel by screwing on the flash-hider. Doesn't that just scream quality :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭Southern Dandy

Are the CA prolines any good? Or is it all CA in general in your experience Doc?

• Advertisement

Are the CA prolines any good? Or is it all CA in general in your experience Doc?

Prolines are grand...they're just overpriced for what they are to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,438 ✭✭✭✭thermo

the prolines are ok if you change the piston straight away as the "reinforced" pistons are crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭Southern Dandy

Prolines are grand...they're just overpriced for what they are to be honest.

I noticed that, over 500euro for the LWRC M6. It would want to be good for that kind of cash.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭Kashkai

I just called into the place I bought my M4 to pick up a face mask. I asked the guy in the shop if he'd recommend a scope for my M4. He asked me what M4 I had and I said a G&G and he replied that they were overpriced and no better than cheaper brands. I then told him I had bought the M4 there and he said I could have bought a cheaper AEG and had similar performance. Now I've only had the M4 a week but so far so good and I'm happy with it. I love the blowback feature on it too as it adds a bit of realism. Not nice to hear someone dissing your new AEG though, especially in the very shop I bought it from:rolleyes:.

As I was leaving, he said they would be reducing the price of their G&G F2000 from €380 to €290 in a few days to shift stock. I had a look at the gun and it is different to the usual M4/AK rifles that a lot of airsofters use but would I buy one after the shop guy dissing G&G? I don't know tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭The Amazing Spiderman

I just called into the place I bought my M4 to pick up a face mask. I asked the guy in the shop if he'd recommend a scope for my M4. He asked me what M4 I had and I said a G&G and he replied that they were overpriced and no better than cheaper brands. I then told him I had bought the M4 there and he said I could have bought a cheaper AEG and had similar performance. Now I've only had the M4 a week but so far so good and I'm happy with it. I love the blowback feature on it too as it adds a bit of realism. Not nice to hear someone dissing your new AEG though, especially in the very shop I bought it from:rolleyes:.

As I was leaving, he said they would be reducing the price of their G&G F2000 from €380 to €290 in a few days to shift stock. I had a look at the gun and it is different to the usual M4/AK rifles that a lot of airsofters use but would I buy one after the shop guy dissing G&G? I don't know tbh.
    MIA once told me that they refused to stock Dboys because the are nothing but trouble. Shortly after he said this the store was full of them

• Registered Users Posts: 2,404 ✭✭✭ricka

Sorry if that's how you interpreted our conversation.How you've worded my comments is not exactly how I feel I had expressed my opinion but I guess that's how you saw it.
    Anyway hope you'll forgive me and you're not put off coming back to us

• Registered Users Posts: 3,901 ✭✭✭T4RGET

Don't know about JLS's airsoft range

My opinion of them was forever tainted when T4RGET came into me and told me about his JLS rifle had sheared its outer barrel by screwing on the flash-hider. Doesn't that just scream quality :D

yeah that kinda annoyed me too :( the range and rate of fire was pretty decent but it is and always will be a china rifle. I now have the g and g f2000 and even though i am selling it it's an amzing aeg, i just need the money but it's some aeg out of the box and im nearly 100 percent sure its catogorised as a g and g top tech so happy days

ricka wrote: »
    Sorry if that's how you interpreted our conversation.How you've worded my comments is not exactly how I feel I had expressed my opinion but I guess that's how you saw it.
    Anyway hope you'll forgive me and you're not put off coming back to us

I bought the G&G M4 from one of your colleagues who recommended it over the other M4 models in stock. As I'm a complete noob to airsoft, I went along with his recommendation. I was a bit taken aback when you said I could have bought something cheaper and got the same performance:eek:. I'm happy with the G&G though and it's nice and accurate, hitting cans at 30 metres. That's why I was looking at getting a scope as I'd like to hit cans at 40 metres+:D

No hard feelings on my part Ricka as I've gotten good service from your store the few times I've visited. It's just the different opinions on my AEG from your colleague and then yourself that knocked me back a bit. I'd hate to think I've bought a lemon. Although if you want to offer a further reduction on a F2000, I won't refuse:P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,404 ✭✭✭ricka

I bought the G&G M4 from one of your colleagues who recommended it over the other models in stock. As I'm a complete noob to airsoft, I went along with his recommendation. I was a bit taken aback when you said I could have bought something cheaper and got the same performance:eek::D. I'm happy with the G&G though and it's nice and accurate, hitting cans at 30 metres. That's why I was looking at getting a scope as I'd like to hit cans at 40 metres+:D

No hard feelings on my part Ricka as I've gotten good service from your store the few times I've visited.
    Fair enough, in hindsight it was a pretty stupid remark.I'm pretty sure you bought a G&G M4 Full Metal Blow Back rifle for €220 which to be honest is a great deal.What I should have said was that our CYMA and DBOYS M4's are equally good in my opinion and are the same money.
    There would be lots of guys here who would disagree with that completely,but I've watched CYMA and DBOYS quality rise to that of the percieved higher end brands over the last few years.
    To put it short I dont think G&G are bad but a lot of the 'lesser' brands have caught up

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭OddysAirsoft

We have reviewed a hell of a lot of guns over the last 2 years - and for the first part of my airsofting life I have been a devout G&G lover -but having tested more than a number of bogies lately my faith in G&G has been rocked a bit!

Regardless of brand, some guns are better than others coming from the same batch - quality control is a major issue, and sometimes it can be the 'luck of the draw' whether you get a good un or not! I would agree with Richard - some of the more budget producing companies have made great strides lately and are equal to G&G, if not better!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,363 ✭✭✭gerrowadat

MIA once told me that they refused to stock Dboys because the are nothing but trouble. Shortly after he said this the store was full of them

This is/was a pretty normal thing for a lot of shops to do. Slate stuff they don't stock, then talk it up when it comes in.

ricka wrote: »
    Fair enough, in hindsight it was a pretty stupid remark.I'm pretty sure you bought a G&G M4 Full Metal Blow Back rifle for €220 which to be honest is a great deal.What I should have said was that our CYMA and DBOYS M4's are equally good in my opinion and are the same money.
    There would be lots of guys here who would disagree with that completely,but I've watched CYMA and DBOYS quality rise to that of the percieved higher end brands over the last few years.
    To put it short I dont think G&G are bad but a lot of the 'lesser' brands have caught up

Yes, that's the M4 I bought alright. Your colleague said it was from an earlier batch (2010?) that were a lot better than the current models. I've fired off about three thousand bb's in the week I've owned it (that's why I bought another bag today) and its been flawless so far. Though I suppose it would want to be after just a week:D

When it comes time to buy my next AEG, I'll hopefully be more informed on makes and models and I'll be more sure of what I'm buying (and not be so sensitive:rolleyes:).

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭Nuke1973

Yes, that's the M4 I bought alright. Your colleague said it was from an earlier batch (2010?) that were a lot better than the current models. I've fired off about three thousand bb's in the week I've owned it (that's why I bought another bag today) and its been flawless so far. Though I suppose it would want to be after just a week:D

When it comes time to buy my next AEG, I'll hopefully be more informed on makes and models and I'll be more sure of what I'm buying (and not be so sensitive:rolleyes:).

Well I could be wrong but if it's full metal then it would be part of the TopTech line which hasn't been suffering as much as the fibre Raiders in terms of quality issues and if it's a 2010 vintage then even better again.

I would say the performance of a G&G TopTech M4 would be well above that of a CYMA or Dboys or a G&G Fibre Raider and at €220 I'd consider it a bargain.

Most people buying G&G M4's usually go for the fibre body and it is on these(in particular) that the drop in quality is apparent in my opinion. MY first M4 was a 2010 Raider and it was quality and is still going strong(for someone else) but I would not touch one of the new ones.

I'd go so far as to say whomever steered you to that gun did you a favour and if Ricka knew it was a G&G full metal as opposed fibre body you might not have got that response(regardless of where it may have been bought).

It was Ricka's colleague Inari who put me on to the G&G M4 and he did point out that it was from the 2010 batch which were allegedley superior to current models (I'm a noob so what do I know?).

I've fired my nephews M4 and G36 and my own M4 is a lot more "real" in look and feel than their aegs. Mine feels so solid (well it is metal compared to their plastic guns) and its a nice weight. The blowback feature is gimmicky but it's a nice touch and it is a very accurate gun even though I'm just using the metal sights. I am very happy with my purchase and wouldn't swap it for another make. My plan is to start skirmishing and then to upgrade the gun as I progress in airsoft.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Never bought into the g&g hype here every tom dick and harry that didn't own one playing airsoft for about a week its the greatest aeg ever here we go again ,
    When airsoft here started growing here we all wanted Mauri ,but opted for classic army same preformance metal receivers ,CA had the best m16 ,mp5 ,g36 range all until they dropped the biggest clanger ever by introducing the sport line range which fell apart in the hundreds only the sport lines suffered appalling failures,brand ruined ,the same happened with g&g when the first arrived in Europe they went the same except the arrived with issues from the outset ,the company went away and invested in r&d and came back with big improvements and went from strenght to strenght ,the only reason I personally haven't bought a g&g aeg is the niggly problems every new gun seems to have bogey selectors ,motors at this stage in the game quality control should have these niggles exstinct ,add the price increase 30+% depending on retailer mark up its another off put

Gatling wrote: »
    Never bought into the g&g hype here every tom dick and harry that didn't own one playing airsoft for about a week its the greatest aeg ever here we go again

Perhaps I'm picking you up wrong but is that comment along the lines of "ah the noob thinks he has the greatest gun ever"?. For the record, I'm the type who researches the hell out of things before I commit my hard earned. I think I've asked every question possible about eye protection, face protection, camo gear, sights, pistols etc on this forum and everyone has been great with giving a lot of helpful advice. I've fired other makes of aegs and found them wanting, too light, too plasticky, full of rattles (and I'm not talking bb's here). Yes there may well be a better M4 out there but I'm not at the stage where I'm going to spend twice what my M4 cost just to have the best of the best. Hell, even if I was that stupid, I'd bet someone would still say I made the wrong choice:rolleyes:.

Maybe I've got the wrong end of the stick here and you meant something else (your sentence is a little confusing). However there are noobs who jump in to activities like airsoft without thinking too much and then there are noobs who have done their homework;)

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Kinda got me wrong ,when g&g started appearing in here people were lauding them as the greatest aeg makers in the world both noob and experienced players despite never using /owning one long term one .its the same as the haters they heard this and they heard that its a pet hate ,I research the hell out of gear before I buy too ,I want my aegs to work 100% out of the box not after i spend cash on niggly issues that shouldnt be there,

I hope the mods don't mind this, but since I've been mentioned I'd prefer to address it:

The G&G M4A1 Carbine (full metal & blowback) is indeed a TopTech model, but TopTech and G&G are one in the same. The G&G raiders have gone downhill, and the M4 in question is from their 2010 line (they were all packed with 2010 calendars in their shipping cartons), which confirmed a lot of our speculation as to the slip in G&G's quality.

Now, the biggest reason I recommend the G&G over the likes of the CYMA (which I also own, by the way), is because the CYMA is still the same price, and likely will remain that way. The G&G is an opportune moment, and rock bottom price - I already owned 4 M4's, and even I picked one up. When lined up side by side, and all costs factored in, the G&G wins in this instance because of cost & overall performance. If the cost was like they were in 2010, you'd be looking at €390+ (in fact I think they were €410), so in that instance the performance gains over the CYMA would NOT be worth €190.

It's all relative.

Once again, I just want to apologise to the mods if the above ain't cosher :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

Have a g&g toptech m4 tgr 416 and it's top drawer but it was top drawer money ( without getting into funny money guns like real sword etc). Still some room for upgrade but shoots great out of the box and very solid. The raider is however a bit plasticy, however no more so than my backup ca sports line. I think that g&g use the halo of high end models to sell budget guns at higher prices, when these are a let down people get rightly annoyed as they paid top money that price bracket and expected better.

• Advertisement

Gatling wrote: »
    Kinda got me wrong ,when g&g started appearing in here people were lauding them as the greatest aeg makers in the world both noob and experienced players despite never using /owning one long term one .its the same as the haters they heard this and they heard that its a pet hate ,I research the hell out of gear before I buy too ,I want my aegs to work 100% out of the box not after i spend cash on niggly issues that shouldnt be there,

Fair enough, I misinterpreted your post. Sorry about that. I agree with your point (now that I understand what you're saying). Yes there are sheeple out there who will either praise or slag off an item even if they themselves have no personal experience of it, just because their friends praise it/slag it off. For some people, having their own informed opinion, is a alien concept.
    I hope the mods don't mind this, but since I've been mentioned I'd prefer to address it:

The G&G M4A1 Carbine (full metal & blowback) is indeed a TopTech model, but TopTech and G&G are one in the same. The G&G raiders have gone downhill, and the M4 in question is from their 2010 line (they were all packed with 2010 calendars in their shipping cartons), which confirmed a lot of our speculation as to the slip in G&G's quality.

Now, the biggest reason I recommend the G&G over the likes of the CYMA (which I also own, by the way), is because the CYMA is still the same price, and likely will remain that way. The G&G is an opportune moment, and rock bottom price - I already owned 4 M4's, and even I picked one up. When lined up side by side, and all costs factored in, the G&G wins in this instance because of cost & overall performance. If the cost was like they were in 2010, you'd be looking at €390+ (in fact I think they were €410), so in that instance the performance gains over the CYMA would NOT be worth €190.
    (

I don't normally name names in posts Inari but in this instance, it was a way of saying you gave me great, unbiased advice both on here, by pm and in person before I bought my first AEG. It was meant as a compliment and I hope you take it that way:)

I don't know how I feel when I hear that my M4 was in the €400 price bracket at one stage. Do I feel I've gotten a great bargain or will I be paranoid about skirmishing in the dirt with it:D

Advertisement