Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pet friendly accommodation Dublin

Options
  • 11-08-2012 5:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12

Hi, I am moving from Kerry to Dublin soon and will be bringing my reptile collection with me. Anyone know of anywhere not too expensive that allows pets in the city center or near bus routes to there? Am most likely going to have to rent a 1-bed or studio due to other peoples unwillingness to share a house with so-called 'creepy-crawlies' (lack of space is not an issue obviously we aren't talking about exercise-needing dogs or cats here) but I would have no issues sharing with people who like or don't mind reptiles.
    If anyone has any suggestions I would be most appreciative.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

Hi, I am moving from Kerry to Dublin soon and will be bringing my reptile collection with me. Anyone know of anywhere not too expensive that allows pets in the city center or near bus routes to there? Am most likely going to have to rent a 1-bed or studio due to other peoples unwillingness to share a house with so-called 'creepy-crawlies' (lack of space is not an issue obviously we aren't talking about exercise-needing dogs or cats here) but I would have no issues sharing with people who like or don't mind reptiles.
    If anyone has any suggestions I would be most appreciative.

Do a search on daft and click on "pets allowed"?

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Teddy Dalton

Done that Millem, found one place alright that doesn't look too bad, although it is a bit pricey. (€500 per month studio apartment) I also saw a few 3-bed places that would be ideal if 2 other snake-friendly people happen to see this lol.

Done that Millem, found one place alright that doesn't look too bad, although it is a bit pricey. (€500 per month studio apartment) I also saw a few 3-bed places that would be ideal if 2 other snake-friendly people happen to see this lol.

Why don't you ring around the places (that dont say pets allowed) and tell them your situation, the house I am in now
    didn't mention anything about pets. I just asked agent before viewing it and 3 years later we are still here!

Good idea, I'll try that now thanks :)

I had assumed that would be a no-go as when I checked all the student accommodation leases they specified 'no animal, pet, fish, bird, reptile or insect my be kept in the apartment or unit' which seems fairly clear-cut to me, so I thought all places would be like that. I'll start ringing and emailing now, thanks again :D

Good idea, I'll try that now thanks :)

I had assumed that would be a no-go as when I checked all the student accommodation leases they specified 'no animal, pet, fish, bird, reptile or insect my be kept in the apartment or unit' which seems fairly clear-cut to me, so I thought all places would be like that. I'll start ringing and emailing now, thanks again :D

I think when you put an ad on daft you need to click pets allowed which a lot of people don't bother doing the same with "dishwasher, parking etc". If you don't ask you won't get! I do think €500 for your own place will be the going rate but the heating maybe included in the price.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

In our development the rule is no pets that cause a disturbance, so reptiles would be ok. I'd chance viewing places that don't mention it and they say it to the landlord. A reptile won't be out and about in the property will not contribute to wear and tear or damage the property so I can't see how they would be a problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭CamillaRhodes

Agree with the above poster; just ask the landlord whether they'd be ok with your pets. I've gotten my last 2 rental places that way, with 2 cats (who are much more 'intrusive' on a house than you pets would be) so I reckon you'd be fine. Private accom is gonna be more flexible than student residences. Getting house-mates who are happy to share with more unusual pets, however, might be harder - 500e for a studio isn't a bad price these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Saw one ad on daft that alowed pets "but I draw the line at reptiles..."

Graces7 wrote: »
    Saw one ad on daft that alowed pets "but I draw the line at reptiles..."

yeah it's unfortunate that reptiles are the pets probably most suited to apartment life but also have the greatest stigma attached :(

i'll keep looking anyway i've a few potential options i'm looking into.

Advertisement