Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A few questions for non drinkers.

Options
  • 11-08-2012 3:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭

1.Does the desire to drink diminish over time,as in do you think about it less and less the longer you are sober etc?

2.Is giving up alcohol one of the harder things you have done in life?

3.Is there anyone who hasn't found that their life has improved significantly since they gave up drinking?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Irish_Elect_Eng

LOL...

I love the assumption that people that don't drink had to "give it up" and are not people that simply do not drink alcohol for all the myriad of reason that they may decide to do so..

Like any substance-abuse issue, if a person is indeed addicted it is very hard to give up and requires willpower, strength of character and support to do so. For those people I am sure that there are very few whose lives did not improve significantly.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭OMARS_COMING_

LOL...

I love the assumption that people that don't drink had to "give it up" and are not people that simply do not drink alcohol for all the myriad of reason that they may decide to do so..

Like any substance-abuse issue, if a person is indeed addicted it is very hard to give up and requires willpower, strength of character and support to do so. For those people I am sure that there are very few whose lives did not improve significantly.

Ok.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

1.Does the desire to drink diminish over time,as in do you think about it less and less the longer you are sober etc?

3.Is there anyone who hasn't found that their life has improved significantly since they gave up drinking?

1 Yes, For me it certainly has with thoughts of drinking alcohol diminishing to all but micro seconds every few weeks.

2 Once again for me it was yes.

3 My life has 100% improved in every aspect .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

LOL...

Very true.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭Siuin

I never had a desire to drink to begin with. If anything, being in a drinking environment (particularly one where people are going OTT and getting completely shítfaced) only serves to increase my desire not to drink.
    No, it was one of the easiest.
    I guess my life has improved in that I'm being more true to myself rather than feeling as if I *must* drink in order to fit in. I'm more comfortable just being myself and not needing the crutch of being drunk to enjoy myself or be sociable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭mravaya

Interesting question, I never really gave up drinking, as I got older I drank less and less and got to the point where I found it pointless getting pi$$ed just for the sake of it. Now if I go into a pub I am happy with a mug of coffee infront of me and I stay out of buying rounds of drinks, simply because my coffee only cost a euro or 2. Many of my friends will just buy me a coffee anyway cos I will be their taxi driver at the end of the evening anyway. Since I do not spend my dosh on booze and I do not smoke either i have been able to save something for that rainy day, have an extra holiday treat my kids to more things. Am I happier for not drinking, well I am not unhappy for the lack of booze in my life.

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭gillapino

Never really was that heavy of a drinker but around 16 or 17 experimented like most of my friends, had a few bad experiences just never really got into, but nowadays have no desire whatsoever to drink, whenever i'm out for dinner or in a pub i'd always get a coke, the smell of most alcohol is enough to turn me off ! And the feeling of being drunk or tipsy just doesnt appeal to me anymore

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭hubba

1. Yes, for sure, in my case, but I think your attitude to quitting is importatnt. If you quit thinking I'm 'giving up' something and feel all deprived about it then you are going to wish you could whereas if you feel you are glad to be out of the trap, that you don't need it and would rather live without it then you just get on with life, no regrets.

2. Quitting smoking was much more difficult. I think I was more physically addicted to cigarettes. Psychologically, quitting drinking was a challenge alright. Drinking is part of Ireland's culture and you are setting yourself apart from the majority. You have to have things straight in your own head before you take that on.

3. No. My life is much, much better than before quitting. See my previous posts for plenty of detail!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭Aykina

hubba wrote: »
    1. Yes, for sure, in my case, but I think your attitude to quitting is importatnt. If you quit thinking I'm 'giving up' something and feel all deprived about it then you are going to wish you could whereas if you feel you are glad to be out of the trap, that you don't need it and would rather live without it then you just get on with life, no regrets.

That's such a good point - I think getting to that stage of feeling glad to out of the trap or relieved not to be part of that game anymore - helps resolve a lot of the head games!

Anyway to answer:
    1. Yes
    2. No
    3. No - life takes a completely different tone (or did for me) which keeps changing. When I drank (I've always been very on/off with alcohol, am now on a very extended off phase) it was actually quite boring

Advertisement