Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eye and face protection.

Options
  • 11-08-2012 3:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭

I've visited three airsoft retailers now looking for eye and face protection. However they were all honest enough to say that all goggles fog up, no matter how expensive they are or what the manufacturers claim. I was then going to go with mesh but I heard that a bb can shatter and go through the mesh, so that put me off.

Can anyone recommend a good eye and face protection system please and where did you get it? Is a one piece system better than separate goggles and mouth protection? I'd also like to get a helmet as well or is this necessary?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,438 ✭✭✭✭thermo

i use one of these with the peak and throat guard removed
    http://www.seairsoft.net/product_details.php?id=493&catid=2
    never once had a bb shatter on it and come through.

helmets are not really needed unless your going for a "look".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭Kashkai

I was thinking about getting a helmet as I didn't fancy getting a bb on my skull, especially after seeing what my TM P226 pistol can do to a coke can, I.e. blow a hole in it:eek:

There's always something else to buy for this sport!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

Dave I have taken direct burst of full auto in the face, throat, head, and every other Body part including the sorest of all the ears and fingertips.

They hurt but they are not that bad, yeah a bb can put a hole in a can but it's not a firearm, it's not dangerous. I wear glasses and if indoors a face mask to protect the teeth, outdoors there is no need and I wear a balaclava and glasses, most of the time e balaclava is around my neck like a shemagh.

Us older chaps have to keep cool, your too hot or fogged up, your slow and you will take more hits.
    Don't stress, your hits should sting, it's encorragement to keep moving :), I have only had e skin break once or twice and I didn't know about it u till the post game shower.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭Zomg Okay

I'm currently using a clone of the Bollé X800 ballistic goggles which I picked up in Hobby Airsoft's Cork branch.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSTL2jcmDa8CTDPZhFAsCPlBgYLimiHprrG37gO8mMYCapy_ZLX

They're worth looking into as they're solid and about as fog-proof as you're likely to get (think a full game day with only one bit of fogging, and not even enough to stop me seeing fairly clearly). As for face protection, when I play outdoors I usually don't protect my mouth, preferring to just keep it closed. :P In CQB though, I use a metal mesh half-face mask like this but in olive drab:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRrqsETlKrrvRnfD29ErUa7-auawMDPbgOEQh7CWR6is-3J74XO2g

I bought that one second-hand off another airsofter but you should be able to find one in just about any retailer.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭The Amazing Spiderman

Wear full face protection. Even when playing outdoors. Do not sacrifice mouth protection for comfort! It's not worth 900 quid in dental fees and a couple of extremely painful sleepless nights. I was shot from about 30-35 yards away while playing at an outdoor site. It's amazing what one BB can do. My tooth was so bad that the anesthetic made it feel worse!

Don't wear mouth protection your gonna have:
    3p7xh7.jpg

• Advertisement

Thanks to all for the replies. I know eye protection is a must but I was unsure about getting a mask for the lower face and in particular the teeth. I think I will just to be on the safe side. I had a front tooth broken in a fall before and it wasn't fun!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,901 ✭✭✭T4RGET

I use the same set up as Zomg Okay.
    But i use airsoft 'glasses' instead of goggles
    liek these:
    http://www.hobbyairsofter.com/Airsoft-Accessories/Goggles-and-Masks/Bolle-Viper-Clear-Lens-Shooting-Glasses

The have no frame around them, it's all see through and they wrap very far around your head, feels like you're not even wearing them and it keeps you peripheral vision in tact. On a side note: I've had these fog up once while i was hiding under a shrub on a cold day, that's it. I find them to be the best eye protection I've ever bought :)

I used to use Neoprene as a lower face mask but it slipped off and i got shot in the face.. and speaking of dental bills (think you can piece the rest together)
    anyways now i use the lower mesh mask to protect my teeth, and you can shape it so you can still get pretty close to your stock to look down the scope/sight/irons

• Registered Users Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭Inari

Eye and face protection is something that, in my opinion at least, requires constant reinvestment. You'll buy some that will work, but not work as well as some others, and then you'll buy them and eventually run into their limitations.

But it's your eyes, and it's your teeth, so in my opinion it is definitely worth the investment. I have gone through 3 different types of mesh lower mask, neoprene masks, full face and roughly 4 or 5 pairs of goggles and glasses, and I'm still likely to purchase more until I find the absolute in perfection for me.

T4RGET wrote: »
    I use the same set up as Zomg Okay.
    But i use airsoft 'glasses' instead of goggles
    liek these:
    http://www.hobbyairsofter.com/Airsoft-Accessories/Goggles-and-Masks/Bolle-Viper-Clear-Lens-Shooting-Glasses

The have no frame around them, it's all see through and they wrap very far around your head, feels like you're not even wearing them and it keeps you peripheral vision in tact. On a side note: I've had these fog up once while i was hiding under a shrub on a cold day, that's it. I find them to be the best eye protection I've ever bought :)

I used to use Neoprene as a lower face mask but it slipped off and i got shot in the face.. and speaking of dental bills (think you can piece the rest together)
    anyways now i use the lower mesh mask to protect my teeth, and you can shape it so you can still get pretty close to your stock to look down the scope/sight/irons

I bought a pair of those glasses from hobbyairsoft as well but I thought they'd be only suitable for target shooting and not skirmishing. Would they stay in place when running around? I'm thinking worst case scenario here where they would slip just as someone fired at your face. I know, call me Mr. Negative but these things happen. I suppose I could wear them when going for a jog to see how they stay in place.

I'll definitely get the lower face mask though as a broken tooth hurts more than any bb hit would.

I bought a pair of those glasses from hobbyairsoft as well but I thought they'd be only suitable for target shooting and not skirmishing. Would they stay in place when running around? I'm thinking worst case scenario here where they would slip just as someone fired at your face. I know, call me Mr. Negative but these things happen. I suppose I could wear them when going for a jog to see how they stay in place.

I'll definitely get the lower face mask though as a broken tooth hurts more than any bb hit would.

I've had my tooth shot out, it's not fun. as for the glasses. I've used them now for about 3 months now without them ever falling off, even while rolling, sliding and all the other crazy stuff we airsofters do :P
    also there should have been a little elastic strap with them, I got one with mine so you can tighten is around your head :)

• Advertisement

T4RGET wrote: »
    I've had my tooth shot out, it's not fun. as for the glasses. I've used them now for about 3 months now without them ever falling off, even while rolling, sliding and all the other crazy stuff we airsofters do :P
    also there should have been a little elastic strap with them, I got one with mine so you can tighten is around your head :)

I broke my front tooth in a fall and I had half a tooth left in my mouth - OUCH!

I haven't taken the glasses out of the package yet as I was going to return them to get goggles but thinking about what you've said, they might be a better solution as air can circulate around them and thus reduce the chances of fogging up.

Now to find me a mask with a half skull on it like "Ghost" out of Call of Duty (although he died in COD2 didn't he?):rolleyes:

I broke my front tooth in a fall and I had half a tooth left in my mouth - OUCH!

I haven't taken the glasses out of the package yet as I was going to return them to get goggles but thinking about what you've said, they might be a better solution as air can circulate around them and thus reduce the chances of fogging up.

Now to find me a mask with a half skull on it like "Ghost" out of Call of Duty (although he died in COD2 didn't he?):rolleyes:

no idea mate, don't play CoD :p Battlefield for me :)
    here ya go
    http://www.hobbyairsofter.com/Airsoft-Accessories/Goggles-and-Masks/%20V1-Strike-Steel-Half-Face-Mask-TMC

Cheers Target, exactly what I had in mind. Now to get time off work to spend some more money in Hobbyairsoft.;)

Btw, I have Battlefield 3 as well but it's a hell of a lot tougher than COD was and I finished that game on Veteran

• Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

Honestly, I've tried just about every configuration, and I end up going for the super cheap chinese plastic mesh mask every time.

I wear a helmet over it just to protect the tips of my ears when it's cold and a scarf so I don't get any tough-to-explain welts on my throat at work the next day, but unless you're going for a more realistic look, the tenner mask is just the job. Anything else feels a little too hot, constrictive or unweildy. The commander mask offers more protection, but just feels a lot fussier and that little bit more rattley, and the goggles & glass just get foggy or smeared too easily for my liking.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,363 ✭✭✭gerrowadat

ESS ICE or ESS Profile. The ICE have better coverage, and they have a strap so they're not going anywhere.

I don't know of an Irish retailer that does ESS, but the quality is absolutely top notch and I've taken direct hits to the eyes without even marking.

You can have full coverage, or no fogging, but not both.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭BankshotDrew

gerrowadat wrote: »
    ESS ICE or ESS Profile. The ICE have better coverage, and they have a strap so they're not going anywhere.

I don't know of an Irish retailer that does ESS, but the quality is absolutely top notch and I've taken direct hits to the eyes without even marking.

You can have full coverage, or no fogging, but not both.

For the ESS ICE glasses you can get them here.

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/Two-Pair-ESS-ICE-Ballistic-Glasses-Warranty-Grade-/380459411156?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item589525e6d4#ht_1980wt_1037

They are used USGI (United States Government Issue) that are returned by troops. This is a reliable seller and sells legit used stuff.

I have bought Revision and ESS eyewear from them before and have tested it with my gun. I put about 50+ shots @ approx 300 fps with .2g BB Point Blank range and the minor marks just wipe off. Wearing these I have no worries while playing Airsoft.

Advertisement