Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donations to the Homeless

Options
  • 10-08-2012 7:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭

Hey guys.

I didnt know where else to put this and felt this was the right place, if I'm wrong let me know.

Anyway, the point. I want to donate some clothes to SVDP and others like that, I have tons of old (but still in good condition) clothes here, but I have no jackets, heavy winter ones, that I'd like to give directly to a homeless shelter or, whatever the Irish equivalent is. I dont want them being sold I want people who need them getting them. I have 4 large rain proof wooly jackets, 2 wooly jumpers and some weather proof gear that I think would be better served on people then in a shop, but i have NO idea where to go or who to give it to, or if theres even a charity that takes them for people.

If anyone could gimme an idea or point me in the right direction I'd really appreciate it.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,346 ✭✭✭Rev Hellfire

If you're looking for a homeless charity in particular then I'd suggest you contact simon

http://www.simon.ie/index.php?page=contact-us

While its nice to think of you clothes going directly to needy, sometimes the charity can get more bang for their buck by selling clothes which gives them revenue to finance such things as shelters, respite homes, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭Edg3

Thanks for the idea.

Well I have other clothes to go for sale from the charities but I'd rather the jackets go to them because with winter coming I think they'd do more good on someone, then in a shop waiting to be sold.

But yeah I'll contact them. Thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,776 ✭✭✭up for anything

Here's a load of google hits for men's homeless shelters in Dublin (if that's where you're located). You could find your nearest and drop the coats in personally if you want them to go straight to someone's back.

It's a good idea as lots of places need emergency clothes etc - women's refuges being other places where they need direct donations as sometime they have to kit out entire families immediately for weeks at a time.

Im not from dublin but thats probably the best place to do it.

Thank for the link, helps me alot. I was hoping I could find somewhere closer but dublin will do fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

While Im sure you got sorted OP the issue I guess is that if you give a homeless person a warm top and they're hungry they'll logically look to barter a good top for food if at all possible where a charity could get closer to market value for your clothes and hopefully feed more homeless. Well that's my uneducated guess on the subject.

• Advertisement

Hey ShooterSF. Im not sorted yet and I understand what your saying but at the same time, someone will get some good use out of the clothes. Id like to think it'd bring warmth to someone in deadly need of it. Im not going to hand it to someone on the street, but what Im saying is I'd like it to go as part of collective help to the homeless. While food is very important, its not much use if the person is frozen to death. And while these jackets arent life saving heaters they will help a little with the cold irish weather. If i can give it to someone, like SIMON who might use it directly instead of selling it then that'd be nice to.

Advertisement