Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows 7 Security Patches causing KSOD every time on clean install

Options
  • 10-08-2012 4:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭

Hey all,

Trying to get a Vaio VPCEB4XOE going again. 7 64 HP installs fine, crucial drivers go in fine. .Nets go in fine. But EVERY(been around the block 4 times now) time I put in the security patches the machine KSODs or this latest time just comepletey fails to boot. Repair disks etc are useless.

I could just block out all the security updates but its something I'd really rather not do. There are different reports of bad patches online, but nothing I can firm down, I dont have an error code to go on so diagnosis is a bitch.

Anyone got any ideas?

TIA,
    ED-E

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,855 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

try crucial drivers / .net after patches - change load order

http://www.wsusoffline.net/ use this to apply patches - so only one download, local copy may work better

you could use a partition imaging program like clonezilla to take snapshots along the way so you only need to roll back to the last point of failure

unlikely but check for malware

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

I've gone in and wiped it with gParted so it shouldnt be malware. Discovered graphics driver isnt actually behaving(I had no reason to assume it wasnt). May be related to the install nuking itself, investigating.

Thanks for the suggestions, will give them a look tomorrow.

Considered TrueImage-ing but too time consuming to do so many.

The main cause of KSODs is incorrect NTFS permissions - I've managed to recover from them by resetting the permissions offline using a live CD.

Tearing my hair out at this one.

Chmod is running as we speak, see how this goes, hope to frack you're right Karsini.

ED E wrote: »
    Tearing my hair out at this one.

Chmod is running as we speak, see how this goes, hope to frack you're right Karsini.

How did you do?

I got it going by assigning Full Control of the Windows directory to:
    Administrators
    Local Service
    Network Service
    SYSTEM
    TrustedInstaller

... and assigning Read and Execute access to the Users group.

For Vista and 7 that's technically not correct (they expect Full Control to TrustedInstaller only) but I was trying not to screw things up.

• Advertisement

Vivard was the first thing to actually pick up on this. Smart and CHKDSK didnt report anything ^^

ORIG0140.jpg

Hmm, so it's a bad hard disk then? I've never seen that program before... guess you learn something new every day. :)

Advertisement