Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Horrible impression for tourists from - disgusting incident

Options
  • 10-08-2012 3:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭

I was walking up olly plunket street the other day. Seemed to be a good few visitor/tourist types around. All going well until up near the top I saw these few, 2 young wnas and two lads sitting on a window. You' know the type - rough looking not the sort you'd like to be hanging around your door. Any one of the lads had he's arm around this one and I didn't think anything of it. I was a bit firther up the street when I heard a girl screaming and shouting "i'm not fúckin kissing ya". I looked back and what i could see was yer man had grabbed her and was basically pumping his crotch into her arse. He was trying to force her into a doorway and she had her foot up on the jamb trying to resist. The other lad was thinking it was a great laugh and the other girl fúcked off around the corner. I though it was disgraceful as he was basically trying to rape her in full public view.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

I was walking up olly plunket street the other day. Seemed to be a good few visitor/tourist types around. All going well until up near the top I saw these few, 2 young wnas and two lads sitting on a window. You' know the type - rough looking not the sort you'd like to be hanging around your door. Any one of the lads had he's arm around this one and I didn't think anything of it. I was a bit firther up the street when I heard a girl screaming and shouting "i'm not fúckin kissing ya". I looked back and what i could see was yer man had grabbed her and was basically pumping his crotch into her arse. He was trying to force her into a doorway and she had her foot up on the jamb trying to resist. The other lad was thinking it was a great laugh and the other girl fúcked off around the corner. I though it was disgraceful as he was basically trying to rape her in full public view.

Did you report this to the local Guards? :confused: You might do so if you could as something might be picked up by local CCTV footage from a shop.

(if it is oliver plunkett street, Killarney) I see & hear about the local Guards on patrol a fair bit recently and they've the cars/van on the road a fair bit too so it wouldn't have taken one long to reach that street and possibly find out the full extent of this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 588 ✭✭✭R.Dub.Fusilier

so you think you saw a young man trying to rape a young girl and you kept walking up the street?

as the other poster said did you call the Gardai ?did you go to aid the young girl ? if you were a bit scared to get involved did you at least let a shout out to let the lad know that you saw him ??

please say you did something

• Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭haulagebasher

No I didn't say or do anything. I was with my GF and I wasn't about to get into a tangle with 4 or 5 scumbags and end up getting stabbed with a syringe or whatever. I'm just saying that that whole carry on creates a terrible impression on visitors to Cork City and the place has really gone to the dogs with skangers of late. Tis like the film the Living Dead or whatever these days as you constantly have to cross the street to avoid hordes of zombie like junkies/whinos/skangers. Tis a mess and something needs to be done to stop the place going down the pan altogether. I can out the other day to see a zombie with the eyes rolled back in his skull propping up on the traffic lights - I lived in waterford before and that sort of thing is practically unheard of there. I was back in WD for the Spraoi and I didn't see a single junkie or whino but in Cork the place is absolutely crawling with these assholes.

You have to immediately ring 999 or the number of Killarney Gardai.

Getting involved could be risky.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 588 ✭✭✭R.Dub.Fusilier

there are people like that all over the country but all you have to do if you dont want to get involved is call the Gardai and tell them you seen a girl getting attacked.

if people like this bother you enough to turn on your computer and log on to the boards forum put it up on an internet the least you could have done was call the Gardai to stop one of them attacking someone else in the street.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭Straight Talker

No I didn't say or do anything. I was with my GF and I wasn't about to get into a tangle with 4 or 5 scumbags and end up getting stabbed with a syringe or whatever. I'm just saying that that whole carry on creates a terrible impression on visitors to Cork City and the place has really gone to the dogs with skangers of late. Tis like the film the Living Dead or whatever these days as you constantly have to cross the street to avoid hordes of zombie like junkies/whinos/skangers. Tis a mess and something needs to be done to stop the place going down the pan altogether. I can out the other day to see a zombie with the eyes rolled back in his skull propping up on the traffic lights - I lived in waterford before and that sort of thing is practically unheard of there. I was back in WD for the Spraoi and I didn't see a single junkie or whino but in Cork the place is absolutely crawling with these assholes.

I was in Waterford this past August.I saw a group of about 10 scobes shouting threats at each other at 5pm in broad daylight on the main street.I also stumbled into Ballybricken Green and i encountered some drunks brawling,some skinheads sitting on a bench and some scobes loitering around.This was at 3 in the afternoon.A local told me that someone was mugged by junkies in Ballybricken at 7pm a few weeks before that.The thread about it is on the Waterford city forum.So i have seen that carry on there in front of my own very eyes.:pac:I've also heard about this carry on before because Jackie Burchall who does the Waterford walking tour was on the News and Star a couple of years ago complaining about his customers getting abused by drunks!To be honest i think Cork is a much nicer city than Dublin and Limerick and i find the city centre to be grand during the day although it get's a bit dodgier in the evening.

Cork 1990 All Ireland Senior Hurling and Football Champions

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 265 ✭✭unclejunior

what is it with some people that they think they must behave somehow accordingly to tourists expectations?
    what planet do you live on op? do you honestly think i feel responsible for what a couple of scumbags do in dublin? any tourist who would like to paint all irish people with the same brush desrves a good kicking. theres plenty of them around alright but if they had to live here they wouldn't be so smug like the way a lot of them behave around temple bar

i bet your the kind of person who lives up the irish stereotype when you're abroad just to make other tourists feel comfortable

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

This "think about the tourists" attitude bugs me.

We should be clamping down on antisocial behaviour for the good of those of us who live here.

We should be prettifying places and eliminating litter for the benefit of those of use who live here.

I'm sick of this atitude which suggests that if we didn't have tourists then widescale fighting, puking, littering would be acceptable.

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭havetoquit

Gosh, that was a pretty graphic description! Horrid and to think that you stood and watched all this taking place!

I guess you could not intervene, as you would probably have been set upon by the three of them, but not a nice experience I have to say. This kind of thing is cringe worthy, especially in front of visitors to our shores. What on earth must they think.

There was a time when we used to be a little shocked seeing young lovers kissing on the streets of Paris or Rome, but at least it was romantic and devoid of foul language and very normal compared to that kind of behavior.

I think if I had any doubt that any person was being attacked or fumbled with against their will and appeared to be helpless in the situation, I would not hesitate in using my mobile to call the police and have the perpetrators removed. They were causing a public offence anyway to my way of thinking, especially as children could very well have been in the vicinity.

parsi wrote: »
    This "think about the tourists" attitude bugs me.

We should be clamping down on antisocial behaviour for the good of those of us who live here.

We should be prettifying places and eliminating litter for the benefit of those of use who live here.

I'm sick of this atitude which suggests that if we didn't have tourists then widescale fighting, puking, littering would be acceptable.

Yes, I take back my own reference to tourists and what they might think, but of course it is obvious that we as Irish people are disgusted. I guess what the posters were getting at is that apart from ourselves, it does give a horrid impression.

No, I don't actually think that decent minded tourists would be stupid enough to judge a whole nation on what they see in any given area of our country, but they do pay well to come here and it cannot enhance their experience to come out onto the streets and witness such scenes as this along with young people lying about in vomit, urine etc etc.

They would be the first to tell you that yes, this sometimes happens in their cities too, but not quite on the same scale and that police generally do move such people on, to avoid both locals and visitors having to be intimidated by it all.

The drink and drugs culture is rampant here, as we all know and this contributes to much of the incidences and because our towns and cities are small, then it is all the more noticeable.

I noted when recently in Germany that in the middle of the day, a group of young guys were sitting in a circle quietly drinking some beer, but becoming a little noisy. Within seconds the police had them moving and told them they were causing offence and bad example to children and others who wanted to enjoy their shopping or sitting out having a coffee along the cafes on the street.

The young people made no protest and moved away quietly.

I have witnessed on many occasion our own people causing chaos and disrupting the public in holiday destinations abroad, but again, they were swiftly dealt with and so at least the local people and those paying to come to the area felt that this kind of thing was not being tolerated and taken as the norm.

I cannot find any excuse for loutish bad behavior, regardless of location or nationality...simple as, but if it is being tolerated or ignored, then there is little hope that it will change.

If our police do not have the resources to deal with such disturbances, then why not do as in some countries and appoint street wardens who are given the necessary authority to deal with it. I have seen it work in other places, so why not here?

• Advertisement

Sorry, I came in a bit late with this discussion and my comments are probably not that relevant now, but felt the topic needed some reference, as feel strongly about it as much as all those who have commented before me.

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭Luca Brasi

When we have Judges giving suspended sentences to druggies who attack doctors and nurses in A and E you can understand why scumbags think they can get away with acting the thug. You can also understand why newly qualified nurses are more interested in working abroad or in private hospitals

I could not agree with you more and so true. Our legal system is seriously lacking and needs to be addressed.

The prison system itself also needs to be reviewed.

Do you ever get the feeling that those who we pay to legislate and make necessary changes to improve the situation do not care?

Surely on this small island with such a low population, one would think that it would not be impossible to introduce a workable strategy.

Those causing the concerns are a minority who could so easily be dealt with if the will were there.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 mc3

At the very least you should've called the gardaí...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭juneg

The op did right to keep walking.

I wouldnt want my son stabbed for getting involved in a row of any description on the streets.

• Registered Users Posts: 756 ✭✭✭Laneyh

havetoquit wrote: »
    Yes, I take back my own reference to tourists and what they might think, but of course it is obvious that we as Irish people are disgusted. I guess what the posters were getting at is that apart from ourselves, it does give a horrid impression.

No, I don't actually think that decent minded tourists would be stupid enough to judge a whole nation on what they see in any given area of our country, but they do pay well to come here and it cannot enhance their experience to come out onto the streets and witness such scenes as this along with young people lying about in vomit, urine etc etc.

They would be the first to tell you that yes, this sometimes happens in their cities too, but not quite on the same scale and that police generally do move such people on, to avoid both locals and visitors having to be intimidated by it all.

The drink and drugs culture is rampant here, as we all know and this contributes to much of the incidences and because our towns and cities are small, then it is all the more noticeable.

I noted when recently in Germany that in the middle of the day, a group of young guys were sitting in a circle quietly drinking some beer, but becoming a little noisy. Within seconds the police had them moving and told them they were causing offence and bad example to children and others who wanted to enjoy their shopping or sitting out having a coffee along the cafes on the street.

The young people made no protest and moved away quietly.

I have witnessed on many occasion our own people causing chaos and disrupting the public in holiday destinations abroad, but again, they were swiftly dealt with and so at least the local people and those paying to come to the area felt that this kind of thing was not being tolerated and taken as the norm.

I cannot find any excuse for loutish bad behavior, regardless of location or nationality...simple as, but if it is being tolerated or ignored, then there is little hope that it will change.

If our police do not have the resources to deal with such disturbances, then why not do as in some countries and appoint street wardens who are given the necessary authority to deal with it. I have seen it work in other places, so why not here?

Resourcing may well be an issue but the police would have to know about the incident first. If nobody phoned them then I guess in this instance they didn't know about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 bofinfan

City can be rough at any time of the day or night.

Points taken on that and I do understand the difficulties.

I think it would be so great if, we were to adopt the practice of eating a little, even snacks whilst having a drink, especially if it is going to be turned into a long session, as I think the drinking on an empty stomach and in such large quantities exasperates the problem and hastens the drunk stage without doubt.

So sad that so many tend to associate getting drunk as having fun, when in fact we know alcohol to be a depressive which can manifest itself with aggressive and even violent behavior. I guess it is mainly to do with some people not recognizing when they have reached the border of being jolly, or merry and still pleasant company, to being obnoxious, disrespectful, boring and argumentative.

For women, drunkeness seems to carry even more risks, as quite often their temporary loss of inhibition is exploited, often with horrifying outcomes.

Those who want to see this matter addressed are often seen as kill joys, miserable etc by the heavy drinking brigade, but I see it as being a responsible drinker who wants to enjoy a night out without having to often leave early to avoid the fracass that often ensues on the streets outside. I want to be able to take my group of foreign students for a great night out without them having to witness such scenes as have become the norm in recent years.

Last year, even though I took them to what would be deemed as a very decent pub in a lovely area, it transpired that a group of hen party girls who had clearly had an all day session and were in another section of the pub, came downstairs and began fighting with each other and it became so nasty that blood was spilled and the police called...eventually. The students were so concerned and shocked and it spoiled their evening entirely. I would not blame them if they even had doubts as to whether my judgement of a suitable venue was questionable, as they declined another night out in Dublin for the duration of their stay.

I hasten to add that they were adult students.

Ah well, am sure that change will come in time...........

• Registered Users Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭LeoB

This behavior is sadly becoming more prevalent all over Ireland and I think as more Garda stations close it can only give these thugs more scope for anti-social behavior as Gardái are more stretched. They then have a queue of Do gooders coming in to say give this one or that one a chance. Every incident of anti-social behavior or assualt should be phoned to Gardái.

Until such time as Gardai show zero tolerance and Judges wake up to what is happening on the streets Im afraid it wont change. I would impose very serious fines on public order offenses (stop their dole for a few weeks if unemployed) €100 for a week for 5 weeks if they work, get them to sign on twice a day for 3 months 7am and 11pm (a curfew) and a minimum of 250 hours community service. Read the local papers and the same names crop up again and again. We as a country have never dealt with anti-social behavior.

One other thing that could be considered is banning some people from taking alcohol. They would do a simple swab test every day for a month and if they break it their penalty should be increased.

Advertisement