Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Career as a kayaking instructor

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,702 ✭✭✭ec18

How long is that course? I don't konw much about it but there's one in Kinsale VEC thats really well run and respected all the guys down there are well known in the industry abroad and in Ireland, or if you're really serious about it you might consider the degree program offered in GMIT Castlebar?

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭NathanKingerlee

I'd agree with the previous post; the GMIT Degree Course or the 2 year Kinsale Further Education Instructor Course are the best two courses in the country in my opinion.

Don't waste your time with these fast-track/9 month FAS or similar courses.

You probably won't be able to make a career just from a kayak instructor qualification though; you'll need several outdoor activity qualifications.

It's a tough, tough industry; currently being pulled down by VEC funded public outdoor education centres who can afford to under-cut and under-value adventure tourism. So at the risk of sounding pessimistic I'd suggest thinking twice about getting into it as a job. Keep it as a hobby!

Give me a DM if I can offer you any more help.

• Registered Users Posts: 872 ✭✭✭Zuppy

I find it odd you can only choose between either kayak or orienteering. You will need more than both of them together. Maybe rock climbing or sailing or mountain leader as well.

And I am a fan of the VEC system. :-)
    It taught a lot of kids about the outdoors and took kids to the countryside who would otherwise never been or had the money to try those sports.

The private sector offer more benefits for more money but if you look at the UK, some of the biggest problems and near misses have been at the hands of the private sector. The PGA incident caused a lot of regulation which we also got hit with and higher insurance too.

The VEC won't survive the next few budgets anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 BrunoCert

bizzyb wrote: »
    Hi Guys,

Would this outdoor education course on page 19 of this VEC brochure be a good route for a career as an instructor? http://www.offalyvec.com/images/file/Adult%20Ed%20brochure%202012-3.pdf

My brother is interested in doing this. Did you ever decide to go and if you did how did it go?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭martinedwards

agree with the idea of having several disciplines to offer.

up here you can do archery or orienteering an a weekend each, so add those to hillwalking, sailing and canoeing, maybe rescue boat operator too......

• Advertisement
Advertisement