Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Silvering oak

Options
  • 10-08-2012 12:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,672 ✭✭✭

Hey guys.I was wondering if anybody knows of anyone that can supply oak beams that have had similar treatment to whats described here

http://www.cheshirebrickandslate.co.uk/?page=timber&sub=silvering

Alternatively if someone has tried this technique themselves can they advise how easy or difficult it is to achieve

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 49 zebrano.96

i have made oak beams for customers in the past but are of hollow construction,much cheaper than solid and lighter. whats the applcation load bearing or non load bearing.roof beams are up so high that its hard to tell its manufactured. The finish u describe sounds easy enough, i usually distress beams and carve dates names into them and or stick a large wooden acorn on it.you can see a ROOF BEAM beam on my website WWW.JOHWOODCRAFT.COM
    HOPE THIS HELPS:)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,672 ✭✭✭seannash

Its loadbearing alright so the hollow option isnt viable even if I did get I steel beam and dressed it with an oak cover.oak beams are easily got but I dont like the colouring on them as i'm trying to avoid having too much wood in the room
    I need two upright beams too so I really want to get the silver look on it.its one of two oak beams in the whole house so I want to try get them perfect.
    Cant view the website at the minute but will later (on my phone)
    I did think the process might be easy but i'm finding it difficult to talk to anyone who has achieved it.
    I had thought of adding a dating detail however I was going to use branding rather than carving.still undecided.
    I may have to contact the website for more information

• Registered Users Posts: 49 zebrano.96

try that finish on a test peice first ,it sounds simple to do have limed and colour washed its easy to do and you probably want a rustic look.
    ash or other types of wood beams would probably work out cheaper if you are silvering them it could be ok.Woodmills would cut beams to suit but would be green need a bit of seasoning .if the beams you want are of any size there is massive weight in them lifting it into position above your head is hard work need a gang to do this.i think they are expensive enough wood gets more expensive the thicker it gets:(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭Double Barrel

Sean
    At one time there was a product on the market (Cabot's Bleaching Oil, which I cannot find at the moment), it worked to grey/silver an oak & cedar rose trellis I built for my wife. Prep work was a simple sanding and product application.

Sean
    At one time there was a product on the market (Cabot's Bleaching Oil, which I cannot find at the moment), it worked to grey/silver an oak & cedar rose trellis I built for my wife. Prep work was a simple sanding and product application.
    Thanks for that I'll try locate some of it :)
    By any chancee is there any pics available of the trellis :)

• Advertisement

That actually seems like a viable option double barrell
    Thanks for the suggestion

Advertisement