Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A RIR WW1 medal....

Options
  • 10-08-2012 11:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭

that needs identifying, please.

A friend has posted this on another Irish forum, and I wonder if anybody here can help him to identify it for him?

Quote - 'The Medal has C with small v in the center, the Medal is star shaped, dated 1914 to 1915. The name on the medal is J Conway, Private, number 7-8531, R.IR.Rifles.

All help with this would be much appreciated.'

I'll echo his last sentence.

tac
    vcrai.com

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Cardinal Richelieu

tac foley wrote: »
    that needs identifying, please.

A friend has posted this on another Irish forum, and I wonder if anybody here can help him to identify it for him?

Quote - 'The Medal has C with small v in the center, the Medal is star shaped, dated 1914 to 1915. The name on the medal is J Conway, Private, number 7-8531, R.IR.Rifles.

All help with this would be much appreciated.'

I'll echo his last sentence.

tac
    vcrai.com

Sounds like a 1914-1915 Star medal

ww1_1914_15_star_ob.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭tac foley

Sounds like a 1914-1915 Star medal

ww1_1914_15_star_ob.JPG

Thank you, Sir. I'm most obliged to you, and so is the OP.

Best wishes

tac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 588 ✭✭✭R.Dub.Fusilier

here is James Conways medal index card. looks like he landes in France on 22-12-1915 and was entitled to the silver wound badge.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭tac foley

Great stuff!! That is fantastic - thank you so much!

tac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 588 ✭✭✭R.Dub.Fusilier

here is the SWB roll, he is at the top of the page.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭johnny_doyle

his pension record is available to view on Ancestry.

Aged 19 when he enlisted in August 1915 at the Thomas St recruiting office. A bootmaker from Dublin, 16 Great Augustine St. Discharged in Chichester as a result of pulmonary TB contracted on service.

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documentsonline/medals.asp

Advertisement