Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Message Mountain Lion and Notification Center Question

Options
  • 10-08-2012 10:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭

Hi,

I decided to try out Messages on Mountain Lion instead of Adium, because Adium doesn't support iMessages (yet ... http://imfreedom.org/wiki/IMessage).

So far I like it, I don't need to see buddy list, and I like the fact that the GUI doesn't need to be running to receive messages.

What I don't like is the fact that when the first message is received in a new chat, Messages loads up and takes the focus. This is especially annoying when I'm running another app in full screen mode, this causes the Desktop (space) to switch before Messages loads. All I would like is the Notification Center alert to appears and disappear and I can decided if I want to answer it myself.

- I've removed all the Alerts from preferences, but that made no difference.
    - The notification center preference don't appear to help.

I was hoping someone that is used to iChat could point me in the correct direction?

Thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Maybe I'm misunderstanding you, but this never happens to me. Never happened with iChat either. When a new message arrives the app stays in the background.

You are talking about the app jumping to the front, yes? Not the alert from Notification Centre?

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭unnamed

Maybe I'm misunderstanding you, but this never happens to me. Never happened with iChat either. When a new message arrives the app stays in the background.

You are talking about the app jumping to the front, yes? Not the alert from Notification Centre?

Thanks. Yes, the app is jumping to the front. Do you keep Messages/iChat app open all the time?

Hi,

If the Messages App is running (it doesn't have to be to receive new messages) the focus problem won't happen.

If the app is not running, it gets launched when a new message is received and the app takes the focus.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,153 ✭✭✭bkehoe

My messages app never automatically starts and pops up when an iMessage is received.... the message simply appears in the notification centre!

Odd ...

I might trash my preferences and see if that fixes it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement