Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for Car Lessons in an Automatic Car in Ennis

Options
  • 10-08-2012 10:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭

Does anyone know of an instructor who does lessons in an automatic car. I have contacted the Irish School of Motoring and am awaiting a response from them. I have tried searching online but could only find one in Limerick.

I have tried driving lessons in a manual but feel I would be more comfortable in an automatic. I know there is an instructor in Ennis who will teach be in an automatic if I buy a car and that is a last resort option. But I would prefer if I had my full licence before I got a car as that surely would affect the cost of my insurance for the year or is there a way around this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭IrishMumOf1

Only have those cars in Dublin, can't help me :(

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

My mother passed her test a couple of years ago in an automatic and she got lessons with Mark Nealon who she couldn't praise highly enough, but I think she had her own car, I'd recommend giving him a ring and ask, if he doesn't ask if he knows anyone around town that does have 1 and if still no good if there's anywhere to rent an automatic for tests.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

I've just realised I've spent more of my life with a driving license than without, I feel old now

• Registered Users Posts: 73,394 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Problem is, if you do your test in an automatic, that's all you're allowed drive.

You just need to find an instructor you get on with and you'll get there.

My sister did her test in the UK in an automatic and can only drive automatics now, wasn't really an issue till now that they have a 15 year old that is going to want to start driving in a couple of years and they don't need 2 cars.

My mother did her test in Ireland in an automatic and there was a clerical error and they never put the limit on license to only drive automatics, which oesn't really matter cause she wouldn't drive anything but her own Fiesta anyway

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭IrishMumOf1

Ringing around all the driving instructors, no joy yet, yes I do know I will be only allowed to drive automatic as I say I have had lessons in a manual and can drive them, but would prefer not to have to change gears.

I could rent one for the test but I want to take some lessons in one to get comfortable before my test which I say will be soon.

Just emailed a guy in Limerick who does lessons in an automatic in Shannon to see if he will fit me in.

Advertisement