Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Battery question

Options
  • 09-08-2012 10:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭

Sorry for yet another noob question but my G&G M4 "manual" is well, er, (rhymes with night) and doesnt go into great detail on a lot of things.

For instance, is it ok to leave the nimh battery connected or should I disconnect it after use? The gun is kept in a secure place so there's no danger of anyone getting at it. It's just that I feel that constantly taking off the front barrel To connect/disconnect the battery will over time, loosen the barrel and o ring. When do you know when it's time to recharge the battery? I use lipos in my rc planes and they can be recharged at any time. However nimh don't like to be charged from half full as far as I know:confused:

How often should you clean out the barrel? Again the manual doesn't even mention this. How do I get access to the barrel to put the cleaning rod in? I presume I clean from the firing chamber out to the muzzle and not the other way round?

Sorry again for the basic questions but I can't find any answers online.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭Inari

You needn't worry about opening the battery compartment in an M4A1 - that is accessed via the delta ring, which is a very simple mechanism, and although it will loosen up, that alone will not cause any problems.

I would recommend disconnecting the battery, though it is not of the utmost importance.

As for charging NiMh - they do not suffer charge memory like NiCd batteries, so you can charge them at any stage without worrying about discharging etc, so I really wouldn't worry about it.

Cleaning the barrel is something that is not an exact science as to how often. If you use it infrequently, once a month. If you use it skirmishing regularly, then clean the barrel before/after use (either or), to clear any dirt/grit from the last games.
    To clean the barrel you put a piece of non-linting cloth (J cloth, cotton from a T-shirt etc) through the cleaning rod, turn your hop up all the way off (large wheel all the way back towards you). Wet the first strip of cloth with some water, and feed it down the barrel (from muzzle end), and be gentle. You then feed dry cloths down the barrel until one emerges clean. It's about taking your time and being gentle with it. There are other more effective ways (such as removing inner barrel assembly), but for getting going the above is one of the easiest methods

• Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭BankshotDrew

Sorry for yet another noob question but my G&G M4 "manual" is well, er, (rhymes with night) and doesnt go into great detail on a lot of things.

For instance, is it ok to leave the nimh battery connected or should I disconnect it after use? The gun is kept in a secure place so there's no danger of anyone getting at it. It's just that I feel that constantly taking off the front barrel To connect/disconnect the battery will over time, loosen the barrel and o ring. When do you know when it's time to recharge the battery? I use lipos in my rc planes and they can be recharged at any time. However nimh don't like to be charged from half full as far as I know:confused:

How often should you clean out the barrel? Again the manual doesn't even mention this. How do I get access to the barrel to put the cleaning rod in? I presume I clean from the firing chamber out to the muzzle and not the other way round?

Sorry again for the basic questions but I can't find any answers online.

Inari was bang on. Don't leave the battery connected when not in use. Charge the battery fully then use the gun in a skirmish for example. Next time you need the gun just charge again fully, does not matter if you didn't use the whole charge the last time. Clean the barrel whenever you feel like it. Regular maintenance is not mandatory but keeps the gun performing well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭Kashkai

I use the gun every night for about 30 minutes target shooting in my back garden. So the battery has had about 2hours usage since it was fully charged on Monday. Last night, I felt it wasn't as powerful as it was when fully charged.

It's best to charge the battery fully. Don't mind whatever charge it still has. It won't harm the battery.

Best to make a gun work on a fully charged battery than to make it struggle with a low charge.

• Advertisement
Advertisement