Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pistols - gas v co2?

Options
  • 09-08-2012 7:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭

Been researching pistols all day and I can't understand which is better, I.e. gas or co2 pistols. Reviews by owners of either system seem to say that their choice of power (ie gas or co2) is better than the other:rolleyes:.

My own preference is for a reliable pistol, accurate and with realistic blowback. Then TM HICappa 4.3 has been recommenðed but the Sti 1911 also comes with many positive reviews.

So which system is better, gas or Co2 and what pistol would you recommend?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,901 ✭✭✭T4RGET

Been researching pistols all day and I can't understand which is better, I.e. gas or co2 pistols. Reviews by owners of either system seem to say that their choice of power (ie gas or co2) is better than the other:rolleyes:.

My own preference is for a reliable pistol, accurate and with realistic blowback. Then TM HICappa 4.3 has been recommenðed but the Sti 1911 also comes with many positive reviews.

So which system is better, gas or Co2 and what pistol would you recommend?

Thanks

both systems are good in their own way

Gas:
    the advantage gas has is that it's usually cheaper to run a Green gas pistol than Co2 pistol
    the other advantage is a gas pistol will usually look more realistic as the mags don't stick out the bottom of the gun to cater for the Co2 mag

the disadvantage gas has is that ot cools down a lot quicker, and ireland being cold at the best of times (today being an exception :)) it means that a gas pistol may not get the full mag of before the gas cools down all the way especially if you don't use the pistol straight after filling it

CO2
    now Co2 has one main advantage. it works. and it works well especially in irish climate, like mentioned.
    they offer more recoil and more power (if you're after the latter)
    another advantage is that some Co2 pistols will take the mags of their gas counter parts (like the KJW M9's). so you can have best of both :)

CO2 pistols are usually more expensive to run as each mag needs one Co2 bulb.
    CO2 pistols recoil harder so require more maintanance and usually have faster ware down on parts.

so there are a few points for and against each of them, but personally I only use CO2 pistols the cost factor compared to the reliabilty factor is worth it. I'd rather spend the extra bit of money on the CO2 bulbs that having to use my gas pistol and it not firing as the cold weather has gotten to it.

on a side note: TM pistols are pretty well known to work pretty well in cold weather especially the Five Seven model :)

hope it helps

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

If you going to skirmish then don't worry too much, as the only time you will pull your pistol is in desperation. Co2 non blowback is the best option as all the gas goes to fire the bb and not make noise so its more economical if your into the ultimate cold weather skirmish pistol.

As said above anything tokyo marui will be quality regardless of gas or Co2.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭Stonewolf

Carbon Dioxide is a gas. The word you are looking for is Propane.

If your pistol isn't used much you're probably better off with cheaper Propane. If you want to be absolutely sure (as well as one can be with airsoft) it'll work use CO2.

CO2 in general sounds better, has a better kick to it and offers better performance (significantly in cold* weather).

Don't get an NBB, you'll feel cheated. GBBs are lovely wonderful things to shoot, this is by far the best aspect of pistols, if you get an NBB because you don't use a pistol much then you may as well not buy one.

Speaking personally I do use my pistol in skirmish, at close quarters my rifle is awkward so I drop it (no sling as it gets in the way) and pull my (CO2 full auto) pistol. It's effective, smart and fun.

* by the standards of tropical Asia where most of these guns are made.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Tm 4.3 wins hands down ,
    I've 4 tm hi capa's have to say never had a problem with cool down when shooting on green gas ,c02 nbb are economic and quite but are totally boring ,the 4.3 had an abs slide very sturdy considering its light weight plenty of replacements available in aluminum,excellent kick from it too ,brilliant accuracy out of the box too

• Registered Users Posts: 13,438 ✭✭✭✭thermo

of the guns listed i would go with the TM hi cappa. reliable, cheap to run and great performance.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭Kashkai

I bought the TM P226 E2 as it was the most comfortable to hold imo. Excellent range, great punching power (blows a hole in a coke can at 15 metres) and appears very well built to my admittedly noobie eyes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭kev-Oakridge

thermo wrote: »
    of the guns listed i would go with the TM hi cappa. reliable, cheap to run and great performance.

Gotta agree here, picked one up from hobby recently, fantastic gun and cheap for mags aswell

• Registered Users Posts: 3,901 ✭✭✭T4RGET

I bought the TM P226 E2 as it was the most comfortable to hold imo. Excellent range, great punching power (blows a hole in a coke can at 15 metres) and appears very well built to my admittedly noobie eyes.

TM? nice choice, the build quality of TM far surpasses other brands, although I could never get the money to buy a pistol made by them :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭Kashkai

T4RGET wrote: »
    TM? nice choice, the build quality of TM far surpasses other brands, although I could never get the money to buy a pistol made by them :(

Oh I dont have the money either but to hell with it, you'll be a long time dead! Might as well live a little every now and then.

Advertisement