Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

VTOS or BTEA

Options
  • 09-08-2012 5:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭

Hi all,

I'm attending a FETAC PLC in September. I'm currently on JSA and have been for over a year. I'm just gone 21. So as far as I'm aware I'm eligible for both VTOS and BTEA.

I'm confused as to which I should apply for. Which one would be better ?

At the moment I'm getting a reduced rate of JSA @ €100 p/w due to my age. I think with BTEA that will be increased to the full rate of €188 p/w. Is that the same with VTOS ? With VTOS I get an extra €31.80 which would bring me up to €219.80?

I know there's no additional allowance such as travel on BTEA. I live 6km away from the college. So 12km a day I would be travelling. Monthly bus ticket would be €85. Would I be awarded anything for that ?

Only setback on the VTOS I can see is that you don't get the student grant of €300 that you do on BTEA.

Would be very thankful if someone better in the know could advise on which would I should go for. Or could tell me if I'm right about the above.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭oorrccaa

Another thing is applying for back to school footwear, I think I'm eligible for that.

When should I apply for it. I can't apply for the VTOS or BTEA until I get a letter saying I'm a student.

Do I have to wait until I get awarded VTOS or BTEA before applying for footwear allowance ?

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭oorrccaa

I'm seen a lot of people apply for vtos when applying for the course. Can I still apply at this stage ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭Balagan

VTOS, like BTEA, would up your payment to the maximum but the extra VTOS training bonus payable to those who have been a minimum of 12 months in receipt of social welfare was lowered to €20pw from €31.80 some time ago. http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/education/returning_to_education/vocational_training_opportunities_scheme.html

Meal allowances on VTOS are something like €4 per week. Not sure about travel allowance level. Find that out, factor in the meal allowance and the €20 extra per week if you qualify for it. With BTEA you get the €300 cost of education allowance at the start of the academic year, well, by October, November.

With BTEA (and very possibly with VTOS) you need to apply for it as soon as you know you have a place on the course i.e., you apply before you start. If you get approval for BTEA from the Social Welfare Office you then attend college, register, pay whatever fees you are not exempt from, and you have to get a letter from the college saying you have registered, paid etc., supply that letter to the SW and your BTEA payments will then kick in.

Advertisement