Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Restaurant in Maynooth

Options
  • 09-08-2012 4:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭

Looking for a recommendation for a good restaurant in Maynooth (somewhere that does a bit of everything)

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I love The Stone Haven for dinner and Picaderos is nice too.
    For Lunch I like The Avenue.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,449 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Avenue isn't too bad for dinner either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

I won't be going back to Picadero's again. Slowest service ever. Was waiting over an hour for our meal last time I was there. Manager saw us getting pissed off and deliberately avoided our table rather than speak to us and apologise.

Stonehaven is lovely - great service, great food. Avenue is an overpriced bistro tbh. Carton House is supposed to be excellent too if pricey. If you want a little further afield the Courtyard in Leixlip is excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,449 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Actually, now that you mention Leixlip - Beckett's is great.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭van damme

Avenue Cafe in Maynooth is consistently good for lunch and dinner.

Been to Picadero's twice and wasn't impressed either time. Service was poor both times, and they have about 3 different menus you have to browse through.

Never been to the Stonehaven, but I hear good things about it.

Heroditas mentioned Beckett's in Leixlip - excellent restaurant, and always excellent service. I live in Leixlip myself, and myself and the missus always head up there for a special occasion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭SQ2

Greenes for me :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Picadero's is nice enough but the service is brutal.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭van damme

Forgot to mention Greene's in Maynooth which SQ2 has recommended. Had a fantastic meal there about 2 months ago and the service was excellent.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

The golf club house in Carton House does excellent food,the restaurant is fine it is over priced and portions are small.
    I am not mad about Greenes but it is fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Daidy2011

I love Donatellos, a little pricey for a Trattoria but always excellent food.

Stone Haven is tops marks.

Thumbs up to Beckitts as well. If you are considering Leixlip the Bradaun Restaurant in the Leixlip House Hotel is hard to beat as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

Avenue would be my favourite restaurant in town. I've never had a bad meal there, staff are great and I actually think its reasonably priced. They have their menus online if you want to have a look before you go

• Registered Users Posts: 5,619 ✭✭✭TheBody

I'm gonna add a +1 for the Avenue. Best restaurant in town in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭Schecter01

Greene's i have been to and the manager was very rude, food ok, avenue is very good, i hear alot of good reports about liexlip house hotel, havent been there though

Avenue ... staff are great
    TheBody wrote: »
    I'm gonna add a +1 for the Avenue. Best restaurant in town in my opinion.

Maybe they've improved then. It's been two years since I went there and that time we walked out before ordering. We were shown to a table by a surly brat and after 15 minutes of trying to get attention to get a) a menu and/or b) a drink while waitresses walked by us I finally said screw this, grabbed our jackets and went to Brady's instead.

It's still an overpriced Bistro though imo.

Daidy2011 wrote: »
    I love Donatellos, a little pricey for a Trattoria but always excellent food.

Forgot about Donatellos. Agree on both sentiments - pricey for pasta but very tasty.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,978 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Donatellos main problem for me isn't the price but the size. Its VERY cramped - although its probably closer to a trattoria in that regard.

Didn't have a problem with the service in Picaderos but the sole time I've been there it was very empty - Ireland match was on shortly afterwards and everyone else was in the pub - I just needed food first!

Donatellos would be the place I've eaten most in Maynooth recently anyway - though The Roost was my old haunt.

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭SQ2

I've probably said this before, but Twist is ofen overlooked and really nice evening food too, not just tapas. BYOB also.

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭Cakes and Ale

Greene's seems to be on an upswing again - last meal I had there was very good. Seemed to slip last year and can be slow enough if you're pressed for time.
    Never enjoyed the Avenue much, overpriced and bog-standard food. Wings are good though.
    Picaderos I thought was good, and would go back for lunch. Too confusing a menu though.
    A bit further out, Zest in Clane is nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭Bobsammy

Stonehaven is always good but I always think that it's a place for a special occasion rather than your average meal out!
    I've always found Avenue to be very good and enjoyed the food the one time I was in Picaderos but would echo other posters who have said that the service left a lot to be desired.

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭Kaskade

Thanks very much for all the detailed replies. I need to buy a voucher for a friend. I had been looking at Stonehaven online myself so I think I'll go with that

• Advertisement
Advertisement