Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

back to education

Options
  • 09-08-2012 3:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hi , I have been an adult dependent for a while, and got accepted to third level course. i went to apply for BTEA and was told i am 2 weeks short of the 9 months and cant apply. would it still be ok if i went to college any way? i don't want to waste a whole year because am 2 weeks short on some list. what would happen to my existing status? I am currently living with my wife and daughter and receiving rent allowance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭eastbono

tomyb wrote: »
    Hi , I have been an adult dependent for a while, and got accepted to third level course. i went to apply for BTEA and was told i am 2 weeks short of the 9 months and cant apply. would it still be ok if i went to college any way? i don't want to waste a whole year because am 2 weeks short on some list. what would happen to my existing status? I am currently living with my wife and daughter and receiving rent allowance.

AFAIK the only advantage of doing a spousal swop for btea which you would have been doing is that you would have received the book allowance. As you are an ada on your partners claim you can go to college as you do not have to be available and looking for work.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,198 ✭✭✭PopTarts

eastbono wrote: »
    AFAIK the only advantage of doing a spousal swop for btea which you would have been doing is that you would have received the book allowance.

Not true.

If you have an entitlement as a spousal swop you are entitled to the €188 on your own claim.
    Other people who can qualify for BTEA

If you are the qualified adult of a person who can claim BTEA, you can qualify for BTEA in your own right. Your spouse, civil partner or cohabitant must have an entitlement to BTEA and must also be getting an Increase for a Qualified Adult in his/her social welfare payment for you for the required period - see 'Qualifying for BTEA' above.

If you qualify for BTEA because you are an adult dependant, your allowance is equivalent to the maximum standard personal rate of the social welfare payment your spouse, civil partner or cohabitant is getting. You also qualify for the annual Cost of Education Allowance. Your spouse or partner keeps his or her entitlement to his or her personal rate of payment.

OP - What date were they looking at in order to establish your entitlement to BTE.

Was it the current date or the date your course starts? It should be the latter.

So if you are 2 weeks short now, you'll have the days for when the course starts next month.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭eastbono

Not true.

If you have an entitlement as a spousal swop you are entitled to the €188 on your own claim.

I did wonder if this was the case. Thank you for clarifying this.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

thanks for the help, we calculated using the first day of college, and i was still short. if the case is like eastbono said, then i will go to college. would i be qualified for BTEA next year if i start the course this year?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,198 ✭✭✭PopTarts

tomyb wrote: »
    thanks for the help, we calculated using the first day of college, and i was still short. if the case is like eastbono said, then i will go to college. would i be qualified for BTEA next year if i start the course this year?

Nope, you have to be starting your first year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 918 ✭✭✭Agent_99

You can remain a QA on your OH claim and then apply for the grant Maintenance and Fees. This means that you have continuous payments and do not have to resign on over the summer months.
    This worked out better for us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 fennellryan

Are you allowed to work part time whilst in receipt of the Back to Education Allowance?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭Balagan

Are you allowed to work part time whilst in receipt of the Back to Education Allowance?

Secondary benefits
    You may keep any secondary benefits you already have such as Fuel Allowance, Diet Supplement, Rent Supplement or Mortgage Interest Supplement (Any increase in income may affect your Rent or Mortgage Interest Supplement), under the Supplementary Welfare Allowance Scheme.

Earnings from part-time employment do not affect the basic BTEA payment. However, any income which you or your spouse or partner get, is assessable for Rent or Mortgage Interest Supplement.

http://www.welfare.ie/en/publications/sw70/pages/abacktoeducationallowancebtea.aspx

Advertisement