Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Butchery Courses (mod warning, graphic images)

Options
  • 09-08-2012 3:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭

Anyone done one? I imagine it would be an essential skill to have in an extended collapse in society.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,617 ✭✭✭kildare.17hmr

A few pics from my most recent attempt, have to say it turned out very well considering id only ever completley butchered a sheep when i was 12 with my da but a load of good videos on youtube helped and countless rabbits which id practiced on!! Cant recomend youtube enough for helping with stuff like this

ed14b0f7.jpg
    62b50065.jpg
    f6d216c8.jpg
    e47a30e2.jpg
    1bcf6b90.jpg

Sharp knives a must have!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,437 ✭✭✭touts

I know James Whelans Butchers in Clonmel do them from time to time. Now Whelans is kind of a celeb butcher so I presume they have the fame to hold classes like this (sort of like a celeb chef holding cookery classes) but I would imagine where there is one butcher doing it others around the country have probably followed their example.

I certainly wouldnt pay to learn this stuff practice a few times on smaller animals like chickens, turkeys, rabbits or even buy a lamb or pig for a spit roast and get your hands dirty

• Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Doc Ruby

A fine feed there, I haven't had roast mutton in a while. That would cost a few bob down the butchers! Definetely practise on smaller animals first, topping, tailing and gutting fish is also a painless way to get used to the barest basics. Are you doing anything with the hides? They use them to make bodhrans among other things, like water containers.

The one in the pics was certainly no muttan doc! It was prime goat kid, mouth watering stuff! Liver and heart was fried up tht night and all i can say is you had to be there :)!!

Didnt use the hide this time, the pointer actually had most of it along with the head and other iff cuts! The meat was all used, bbq'ed some myself, friends and family had some and cooked it and the dog had some.

Talking shtf survival situation that goat could have contributed to 50+ meals easy

• Advertisement

Talking shtf survival situation that goat could have contributed to 50+ meals easy
    Oh yeah, the bones could have been rendered down for stock and the whole lot. Looks delicious!

It was! I had a load of mates over for a puss up and sutck a himd leg on the bbq, it went down a treat even with a few who did not agree with hunting! All gone now but rhe few deer k ickin around my hinting ground have been targeted for next month and my 2 freezers need filling :)

BTW Any regulars here fancie a bit of hunting to learn something or just to try it out just ask, mote than Happy to share

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭M three

It was! I had a load of mates over for a puss up and sutck a himd leg on the bbq, it went down a treat even with a few who did not agree with hunting! All gone now but rhe few deer k ickin around my hinting ground have been targeted for next month and my 2 freezers need filling :)

BTW Any regulars here fancie a bit of hunting to learn something or just to try it out just ask, mote than Happy to share

Some great pics there, thanks for sharing those, nothing better than hunting, butchering, cooking and eating your own food I'd imagine.
    Well done.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Deerhound

I'm glad to see the art of home butchering is still being practised. With people getting most of their meat in packets from supermarket fridges even watching a butcher at work these days is a rare thing.
    I have to admit it has been a long time since I havekilled and butchered anything bigger then a rabbit or chicken myself, so kudos to you kildare.17hmr. I'd have given you a "thanks" if I could figure out how to do it.

I wonder what lamb jerky tastes like... ah now I won't rest till I find out. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭St. Leibowitz

Saw in interesting program on RTE ... I think it's a repeat of a BBC 3 program. Kill It, Cook It, Eat It.

The one I saw was on lamb. It followed lamb from birth on the farm to an abattoir where it's killed and butchered and then out front to chefs who cook it, with an audience who eat it. Last one (I missed it) was on pork. It's on late Wednesday/early Thursday as far as I remember, on RTE2. Really interesting to watch, and helps reconnect with the idea that meat is actually from a once living animal, which most of the audience know, but didn't fully appreciate until they saw the animal being slaughtered and butchered, and then arriving on a plate. Some committed meat eaters couldn't eat it, while committed vegetarians were confidant they had made the right choice.

The butchering (or more correctly the skinning and evisceration) of the carcass was interesting to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Deise Musashi

Sharp knives a must have!
    I agree!

I do a good bit of meat prep at home.

Last time my sister in law's chickens stopped laying, my son wanted to watch me kill and skin them. After two he got bored and headed in home :rolleyes:

He has seen animals killed and prepped for dinner. He's just back from Tory Island and he's well upset that they used mixy rather than hunting to control rabbits up there.

My wife tells me he could not understand why they wouldn't shoot rabbit and have meat for all, rather than poison, and have nothing but dead rabbits.

I must let them know that myself and the wee man will control the bunnies up there if needed, but surprised that it needs to be said!

Also, they found a Gyrfalcon cross up there and returned it to the owner, my kids like birds of prey!

Gyrfalcon.jpg

photo.php?fbid=10151176380731800&set=a.10150348182886800.401439.761216799&type=1&ref=nf

• Registered Users Posts: 8,431 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Sharp knife , a cleaver and maybe a bonesaw or just a hack saw and a good stout table ...presume there are butchery guides online ... It usually involves cutting in to quarters and breaking down from there...

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

Jaysis when did Kil close his account. Between this, eth0 getting unjustly banned elsewhere and various other incidents the attrition rate round here is chronic.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭BENDERS LINKS

Doc Ruby wrote: »
    Jaysis when did Kil close his account. Between this, eth0 getting unjustly banned elsewhere and various other incidents the attrition rate round here is chronic.
    Who was etho a rereg of?

Who was etho a rereg of?
    No idea, he was banned for linking to a torrent many years ago, there's a thread in prison. Stupid waste of expertise and a nice guy too.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭BENDERS LINKS

Doc Ruby wrote: »
    No idea, he was banned for linking to a torrent many years ago, there's a thread in prison. Stupid waste of expertise and a nice guy too.
    Good poster alright, here's prison Thread.

14 reregs apparently, to avoid Forum Bans. I suppose a line has to be drawn somewhere.

I suppose a line has to be drawn somewhere.
    That's no business of mine. He did right and gave a lot of good advice around here, and is missed.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,695 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

[mod] lads, some posts just sound better in your head than on the screen, back on topic please folks! [/mod]

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Murt10

Markcheese wrote: »
    Sharp knife , a cleaver and maybe a bonesaw or just a hack saw and a good stout table ...presume there are butchery guides online ... It usually involves cutting in to quarters and breaking down from there...

True as God and speaking from personal experience, I can confirm that using a large angle grinder on the draining board in the kitchen to cut through a thick piece of bone, that I couldn't access with a hack saw is a definite NO NO.

The blade cooks the the meat, as its spins. Worse still his that it coats the window and ceiling with a mixture of blood, grissle, bones and meat.

It seemed like a very good idea at the time but the boss was very unhappy. It also made a mess of the angle grinder.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭M three

Murt10 wrote: »
    True as God and speaking from personal experience, I can confirm that using a large angle grinder on the draining board in the kitchen to cut through a thick piece of bone, that I couldn't access with a hack saw is a definite NO NO.

The blade cooks the the meat, as its spins. Worse still his that it coats the window and ceiling with a mixture of blood, grissle, bones and meat.

It seemed like a very good idea at the time but the boss was very unhappy. It also made a mess of the angle grinder.

Jesus thats hilarious, I have an image in my head of a texas chainsaw massacre style set up. What in gods name were you thinking?!

Thanks for posting it though.

Gutted for you over the angle grinder, hope it pulled through!

• Site Banned Posts: 4 eth1

Good poster alright, here's prison Thread.

14 reregs apparently, to avoid Forum Bans. I suppose a line has to be drawn somewhere.

The number of re reg accounts is because I was (and still am) convinced that there is no point in talking to these lads, at the time. Why would I waste my time going into the prison forum just so some jumped up lad with two smidgens of authority can call me a 'sad loner' on a site that is supposedly against personal abuse?
    Tabnabs wrote: »
    [mod] lads, some posts just sound better in your head than on the screen, back on topic please folks! [/mod]

Just keep brushing it under the carpet, lad. Fact is the place is crawling with 're-regs' and what have you. All this 'don't speak about banned people' only serves to prop up the facade that everything is grand and that this site is a fine establishment

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,695 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

eth1 wrote: »
    The number of re reg accounts is because I was (and still am) convinced that there is no point in talking to these lads, at the time. Why would I waste my time going into the prison forum just so some jumped up lad with two smidgens of authority can call me a 'sad loner' on a site that is supposedly against personal abuse?
    25550351.jpg
    Just keep brushing it under the carpet, lad. Fact is the place is crawling with 're-regs' and what have you. All this 'don't speak about banned people' only serves to prop up the facade that everything is grand and that this site is a fine establishment

Shock,+horror!+Arafat+%28gasp%29+encouraged+terrorist+attacks!!.jpg

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 37,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Jeez....I'm a forgive and forget kind of guy. I'd be inclined to look at your case, but you make it really hard on me to not keep banning you with your incessant bollox spouting and dragging threads off topic. :/

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭nuub

Does anyone know if kildare.17hmr has a new user name and account ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭aaakev

nuub wrote: »
    Does anyone know if kildare.17hmr has a new user name and account ?
    I know him from another forum and afaik he is gone still. What were you after?

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭nuub

aaakev wrote: »
    I know him from another forum and afaik he is gone still. What were you after?

I live near him and he pops alot in similar threads I follow and I seen here he extended the hand to go out hunting with him. I hunt myself and wanted to pair up for the day share some knowledge and have a laugh if he was game. But tried to pm him but it said his account was closed? Just wondered if he was still floating around on here tho.:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 506 ✭✭✭moby30

First time posting on this forum but just wanted to say that I recently had a qualified butcher come and do a few deer for myself and a friend. Im shooting a long time now and thought I was handy at butchering but **** me when you see a qualifed lad doing it you realise just how beneficial it is to get a few lessons. I suggested it to him that he should give a few classes but I reacon he thinks I was takin the piss:D Just wondering if anyone would be interested?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,437 ✭✭✭touts

Your man Pat Whelan (the celeb butcher from Clonmel) does demonstrations in Clonmel and in a new shop he opened in Avoca. They are a bit expensive at €99 but apparently they are very popular and they keep putting on extra ones so they must be getting good feedback. I'd say there is a market there for the classes.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 506 ✭✭✭moby30

99 euro per man:eek: Holy ****. Still worth doing though.

Advertisement