Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Macbook Pro Retina Insurance

Options
  • 09-08-2012 3:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,755 ✭✭✭

Was wondering if people here could give me a few pointers on the best way to insurance my laptop, I've a few things coming up in the next while and will also need to bring it out of the country so to have some piece of mind on it would be fantastic, pricey piece of kit I wouldn't be able to fork off that kind of money again anytime soon.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 951 ✭✭✭MiniNukinfuts

How bout applecare on it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,020 ✭✭✭Colonel Panic

There are sites that deal with gadget insurance, but I just have mine listed along with a bike under my apartment's content insurance.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

How bout applecare on it?

AppleCare isn't insurance. It only covers faults, not damage.

• Registered Users Posts: 951 ✭✭✭MiniNukinfuts

There are sites that deal with gadget insurance, but I just have mine listed along with a bike under my apartment's content insurance.

Nearly all gadget insurance sites will cover up to a maximum of €2000. You'll have to go with house insurance if you want to fully cover the retina. I settled with applecare for mine.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,020 ✭✭✭Colonel Panic

You settled with Applecare which doesn't include accidental damage/theft. I have Applecare and my (non retina) MBP on contents insurance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,755 ✭✭✭tylerdurden94

I had somebody recommend AppleCare to me but I just thought that was for faults & parts and not loss/theft, I am correct in that?

Looked at gadgetinsurance.ie but have heard a few dodgy things about them so wary of them for the meantime, also have a camera I would like to get insured so I see you can insure multiple items on that coverage with GI.

Would of bought a Kensington lock but that not's a possibility, does anybody know if there has been a way around this to secure it?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭conor.hogan.2

Would of bought a Kensington lock but that not's a possibility, does anybody know if there has been a way around this to secure it?

It is a laptop it is never really 100% secure unless it is right in front of you, if there is any confidential stuff or stuff you do not want to lose you better encrypt and/or back it up as it could die or be stolen at any time.

It is a laptop it is never really 100% secure unless it is right in front of you, if there is any confidential stuff or stuff you do not want to lose you better encrypt and/or back it up as it could die or be stolen at any time.

I'm not too worried about the content, there really is nothing that couldn't be replaced easily enough. More so the monetary cost & head wreck of having it stolen.

Have seen this which looks semi interesting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭DylanII

Did you find insurance for it. The insurance that I have seen only covers it for up to €2000.

DylanII wrote: »
    Did you find insurance for it. The insurance that I have seen only covers it for up to €2000.

No I haven't seen anything yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭Doylers

Getting mine on monday, called aviva who we have the house insurance with. They will insure it for the full value for like €50 for the year. That includes theft and stuff outside the house. Seems like a good deal to me

Doylers wrote: »
    Getting mine on monday, called aviva who we have the house insurance with. They will insure it for the full value for like €50 for the year. That includes theft and stuff outside the house. Seems like a good deal to me

Details on this please, will they insure it on it's own?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭Doylers

Details on this please, will they insure it on it's own?

No idea I never asked would they just insure it. It would be alot more anyway, like if you got insurance from say PC world it would cost €500+ because its a valuable laptop, that would cover theft and damage plus as many repairs as you like

Advertisement