Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Part-time Job

Options
  • 09-08-2012 1:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭

Hi all,

I was wondering if you would still get help on dole if you were working part-time. Also, I ve been told different things in regards to this matter. Someone told me if you were working 5 days a week, regardless of the hours, you wont be entitled to any dole because you are not available for work. So the most days you can work is 2.5 - 3 days a week. Then I was told that if you work under 20 hrs/week, you may still be entitled to some help on dole.

One woman is working 5 mornings, has adult and teenage kids, single parent I think, she still gets some help on dole.

Advice pls
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭upinthesky

you cant get the dole if you work more than 3 days a week.

The girl that works 5 mornings is more than likely claiming family income supplement.

You have to be working more than 19 hours to claim this and have at least one child.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭oorrccaa

I think its under 20 hours a week. You can also work Sundays and this does not count. So for example you could work 28 hours if 8 of them are on Sunday.

This is due to change in January 2013 I think. Sunday hours will count.

Again I'm not 100 percent on that though, it may have changed already.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭upinthesky

Part-time or casual work
    If you get part-time or casual work (up to and including 3 days per week), you may still be paid a proportion of your Jobseeker's Allowance. However, you must show that you are trying to get full-time employment. If you have been getting long-term Jobseeker's Allowance (15 months or more) and you take up part-time work for less than 24 hours a week you may be eligible for the Part-time Job Incentive Scheme (PTJI). This scheme allows you to take up part-time work and get a special weekly allowance instead of your jobseeker’s payment.

taking from
    http://www.welfare.ie/en/schemes/jobseekersupports/jobseekersallowance/Pages/ja.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭marrakechheat

Thanks for all replies.

I wonder if Id be eligible for that Part Time Job Incentive Scheme. In total, I have been claiming JSA (as an adult dependent) for 15 months or more but was claiming BTEA in between.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭Fly High

Can anyone confirm about Sundays? Do they still not count?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭eastbono

Thanks for all replies.

I wonder if Id be eligible for that Part Time Job Incentive Scheme. In total, I have been claiming JSA (as an adult dependent) for 15 months or more but was claiming BTEA in between.

You were not the claimant you were an ada on partners/spouses claim and were not on the live register therefore you would not qualify for this scheme.

http://www.welfare.ie/EN/Publications/SW69/Pages/2Whoiseligible.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 40,816 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Louise~ wrote: »
    Can anyone confirm about Sundays? Do they still not count?

They count since Feb http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/social_welfare/social_welfare_payments/social_welfare_payments_and_work/jobseekers_benefit_and_work.html
    Sunday work and jobseeker's payments
    From 21 February 2013 Sunday working is taken into account for Jobseeker's Benefit. You must be unemployed for 4 out of 7 consecutive days (including Sunday). If you work on Sunday you are considered to be employed for 1 day and 1/5th of your normal rate of Jobseeker's Benefit will be deducted from your weekly payment.

Even though the social welfare employment week now takes Sunday into account you are not considered unemployed for 7 days. You are considered to be unemployed for 6 days out of the 7-day social welfare employment week. This means that for each week that you are fully unemployed 6 days are deducted from the days remaining on your Jobseeker's Benefit claim.

For example a person who works 2 days a week would have 4 days deducted from the days remaining on their Jobseeker's Benefit claim.

Before 21 February Sunday was not counted as a day of employment (or of unemployment). If you worked only on Sundays you were regarded as fully unemployed and you could qualify for the full rate of Jobseeker's Benefit. Sunday was also disregarded in computing any period of consecutive days of unemployment (you had to be unemployed for 3 out of 6 consecutive days to qualify for a jobseeker's payment).

Although Sunday was not treated as a day of unemployment, employment on a Sunday was counted in establishing the normal level of employment. A loss of employment on a Sunday could therefore satisfy the "substantial loss" test for claiming Jobseeker's Benefit.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Advertisement