Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Killarney Lakes

Options
  • 09-08-2012 12:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16

hey guys, long shot, maybe no one here is from Killarney but I've noticed a lack of use of the lakes for swimming or sports. Does anyone know why? I googled it and found some stuff about leeches but doesn't seem that drastic. I also heard something about some type of dangerous eel? might have been complete rubbish.
    I have a windsurfer and was thinking about bringing it down, I would hesitate because the mountains would make some crazy wind but if I did I would be allowed to right?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,147 ✭✭✭okane1

As far as I am aware, motor and none motor boats are not allowed on the lake, except for the ones the tourists and local fishing and rowing clubs use. The rangers are very particular about letting others boats in the lake as it may bring foreign species into the water which could affect the water quality.

I swim in the lake, Muckross lake. Dundag masters were the local master open water swimming club which trained twice a week (Tuesday & Thursday) in Muckross lake. This year, the club which was Swim Ireland reg decided not to formally have a club, insurance etc but still meet up for unofficial swims. Check out their facebook page.

They used to run OW swimming races in August of each year, 6.2km around Muckross lake, 5,4 and 3km all in the same lake.
    Not sure if this is happening this year.

The eels you mention are real. They are lamprey eels are are really only found in Muckross lake, up the top and on the side near Torc. They don't bite but stick to you. In a wetsuit you wouldn't even know if one was attached until you got out and saw it hanging off you! In togs, you know all about it!

If your interested in swimming in the lake, let me know. I go from Dundag beach.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 desk1

Hi,

I know this is an old thread but I am working in Killarney next week and would like to swim in Dundag beach if possible? Is it allowed to swim there and is there any porblem with pollution etc? Generally swim in the sea but would like to get into the lake

thanks for any reply

• Registered Users Posts: 1,147 ✭✭✭okane1

desk1 wrote: »
    Hi,

I know this is an old thread but I am working in Killarney next week and would like to swim in Dundag beach if possible? Is it allowed to swim there and is there any porblem with pollution etc? Generally swim in the sea but would like to get into the lake

thanks for any reply

Swimming is allowed. Lake is very clean. The water will be cold so you need to be careful.
    As with most lakes in Ireland it is dark water. Keep close to the beach area because it gets deep - it is the deepest lake in Ireland.

Just be mindful that the gates close early - I think 7ish. There is a sign driving through them.

Enjoy the swim. It's lovely swimming in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 desk1

Thanks for that. I only want to swim a few hundred meters at most and if it is so cold maybe 5 mins will do me.

Cheers

Advertisement