Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Paying for College fees on credit card as "purchase"

Options
  • 09-08-2012 10:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 43

My girlfriend has been told by AIB that paying college fees does not constitute a "purchase" on a credit card. Is this correct?

There does not appear to be a strict definition of "purchase" in the terms and conditions. My understanding would be that purchasing a college course by using ones credit card (ie. authorised direct transaction for good/services) would be a purchase but maybe I'm wrong?

(FYI; student credit cards have 0-3.8% APR on purchases for 9-12 months; comapred with loan rates of >10.8% if college will accept per semester payments huge savings on interest can be made by delaying loans until semester 2)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,113 ✭✭✭homer911

Whats the context?

Has she been told she cannot use her credit card to pay the fees?

• Registered Users Posts: 43 RockyTwoArms

Essentially the student credit card has 0% on "purchases" for the first 9 months. The bank have told her that paying the college fees would not constitute a "purchase"

She has been told by the college that she can use her card to pay the fees.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,113 ✭✭✭homer911

Sounds like she should..
    (a) read the credit card terms and conditions small print - I've just had a scan of them and cant see anything odd
    (b) take it to the AIB Complaints department
    (c) escalate to the Financial Ombudsman if not happy

It sounds like AIB are being unreasonable and could get slapped over the wrist...

Advertisement