Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How soon can I get JSA/JSB?

Options
  • 09-08-2012 7:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hi,

I have never claimed any benefits before, so I have a few questions.

My situation is that I'm currently midway through an accountancy training contract. The terms of this contract include passing all of my professional exams, and the firm I work for are very strict about letting trainees go if they fail exams.

My exam results will be released soon, and I don't think I passed all of the exams. Therefore I expect to be given a months notice from the date that the results come out.

I understand that there is a delay in getting JSA/JSB if you leave a job rather than being let go. In my situation, does it count as leaving a job, or as them firing me, for the purposes of getting social welfare payments?

How soon can I expect to start receiving the payments? I have no savings, so I don't know how I'll manage to pay rent/feed myself if there's a delay. I'm 27 and I'm based in the Dublin area (D3), if that makes a difference.

Can I submit my claim when the results come out and I get given my months notice, or do I have to wait until I've actually stopped working? (Obviously I know I don't get paid benefits for that month - I'm just wondering if I could get the ball rolling, to avoid delays in getting the payments.)

Also, almost all of my post gets addressed to my parents' house, which is in another county. Is this likely to cause problems? I obviously have proof that I have been working here in Dublin the past few years.

Thanks for any info!

Comments

Advertisement