Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice for incoming first years

Options
  • 08-08-2012 11:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 31

Hey everyone,

Do you have a tip for incoming UL first years? Thomond Student Times are building a page that will collate all those nice tips you get from older students when you come into UL.

Be it something as simple as where to find a 24 hour printer, or how to print from your laptop in the library. Comment here and we'll get them all up on a page in the next week for the new first years!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,548 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

If it's coming out before they arrive, I would say to come up and stay for the whole of Orientation Week. It's much easier to make friends that week and anyone I know who was only there for the day and left until Freshers, found it harder as many people had already kinda clicked together by then.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭OhMSGlive

Get involved with a club or society. One of each if possible. (*cough* Music Soc *cough*) Seriously, some of the best friends that I have up here are people that I met through the societies that I'm a part of. Don't get involved with more than two though, you will not have the time for it. I found out the hard way.

Also, try and get to know your roommates, if you're on student accommodation. They were the first friends that I made.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

Take time each week to try out something you'd normally never go for, even something small. It will feel stupid and a little daunting at first but you'll end up meeting some amazing people and have memorable experiences. No regrets.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Go to Class!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Jester252

have fun but get the grades

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

1. Go to lectures, tutorials and labs as much as possible. It's far too easy to get in to the habit of skipping that 9:00am lecture every week, and before you know it it's exam week and you're trying to learn new information at 4 in the morning in Red Raisins.

2. If possible, on one of your first nights in your house, go out with your housemates, helps immensely in letting everyone get to know each other.

3. Ask for help if you need it. Lecturers are generally friendly and easy to approach, so if you don't understand something, ask. Don't expect them to read your mind.

4. Organise your notes ASAP. Try to avoid having one A4 pad filled with 5 modules worth of notes.

5. Don't feed the trolls.

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭CJKeane

Make use of the learning centers, they'll make the world of difference if you're having any problems learning the material.

Maths Learning Centre

ICT Learning Centre

Science Learning Centre

Writing Centre

• Registered Users Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭freyners

get involved with a club or soc if one interests you. Its a great way to get to know people

Desks in the library are pretty plentiful for the first 10 weeks and extremely hard to get in the last 4/5.

1st few weeks you shoudl concentrate on getting to know people and having fun, its college!:D

Advertisement