Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can't install new apps, phone crashing; copy messages, call logs without root

Options
  • 08-08-2012 8:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭

As mentioned in another thread, today processes are crashing on my SGS2 w/ ICS with "Unfortunately XXX has stopped" messages from boot-up. Multiple apps crashing multiple times (as they get respawned, I presume). The phone is unusable.
    Anyway, I've used adb to do a full backup of the phone contents and managed to export the contact list to a file and copy it, but I'm reading that "adb backup" does not copy the call logs nor the SMS/MMS messages, which I'd like to keep.
    I've tried booting to safe mode and installing SMS Backup and restore but the Google Play app either exits with the "unfortunately..." message or the download doesn't get any data so an app-based approach seems to be out.

I can "ls" the database files but they're -rw-rw---- and owned by usr_18 and radio users
    • /data/data/com.android.providers.contacts/databases/contacts2.db
    • /data/data/com.android.providers.telephony/databases/mmssms.db
    • /data/data/com.android.providers.telephony/databases/telephony.db

Is there any way to get these files out?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭akamossie

is the phone log more important than fixing the phone!!

since you are getting "Unfortunately XXX has stopped" i suggest you do a full reset and restore only contacts and nothing else.

as the conflict could be from an app or restoring sms or system data. This happened to me before when restoring using the titanium backup

Clean restore is your best option.

• Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭backboiler

akamossie wrote: »
    is the phone log more important than fixing the phone!!

In short, no, but they're something I would have liked to have around. Some useful bits and pieces in there like addresses, booking information and that. Logs are useful to figure out when one thing happened compared to another. Phone so shagged that I couldn't even read the messages.

Anyway, they would have been useful but not indespensable, so I wiped and reset last night and now have a shiny new toy again, eager to squirrel data away into inaccessible little islands of floating electrons.

It's disappointing though how hard it is to get something as simple as messages and logs out of a phone. I suppose regular backups of this info to a PC is the only way to go. That and getting root on this yoke.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

Just store your contacts with google, then you don't need to worry about backing them up. Are you afraid of doing this for tinfoil/paranoia reasons?

• Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭backboiler

srsly78 wrote: »
    Just store your contacts with google, then you don't need to worry about backing them up. Are you afraid of doing this for tinfoil/paranoia reasons?

Contacts were not the problem in my case. Most of them were with google but for whatever reason some recent additions were not. I may have accidentally disabled Contacts sync at some stage but will never know now. Anyway, I was able to copy these using safe mode and export to built-in SD card via on-screen menu.

My annoyance was with SMS/MMS messages and call/message logs.

EDIT: I'm only an occasional wearer, but it's surprising how comfortable metallic headgear is when correctly tailored :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭Julius Seizure

You can try

Adb backup -f /adbbackup/phone con.android.phone -noapk

This will backup the data of the phone database. It will be a fb though and need to be restored. Not sure what the package name for messaging is. If on sense you can export directly to a bak file.

• Advertisement

As for the problem in the first place can you connect your phone to adb and do
    adb lolcat

Open some apps then go back to the cmd and hit control c. Click on the top of the window and do select all, copy, or mark, select, copy. If you paste it here in code tags we can see why they are crashing.

By the way if you have a custom recovery on it you can wipe the dalvik cache which often fixes force closes.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

Err that might be logcat, not lolcat :pac:

:rolleyes: So you would think... But never take google developers too seriously... Go and try it (adb only, no shell).

On another note you probably need root but did you try a dd if=/data/data/com.android.providers.contacts/databases/contacts2.db of=/sdcard/contacts2.db

Or else try getting the apk for SMS backup on your computer and side load it with adb. If you turn off "show all ANR dialogs" in developer options in settings you shouldn't get as many pop ups.

Advertisement