Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where do babies sleep during the day?

Options
  • 08-08-2012 10:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭

Hi all,
    I'm a bit confused about sleeping arrangements for babies!This is my first pregnancy and I'm clueless!
    We live in a two storey house, so we are thinking we will get a crib for our own bedroom, where baby will sleep until they're 6 months old and then move him to his own room, where we will have a cot or cot bed.(does this sound correct?!)
    Problem is re napping downstairs- we don't really have room for cots and moses baskets downstairs, but will move things around obviously if needs be- can they sleep during the day in the carrycot bit of the pram(ours isn't one approved for overnight sleeping), should we get a moses basket for sleeping during the day(have heard they can grow out of them very quickly?), or should the baby sleep in the crib (upstairs) during the day?Really hoping someone can shed some light on this as I'm totally confused- I want to do what is right for baby

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 663 ✭✭✭FairytaleGirl

Hi all,
    I'm a bit confused about sleeping arrangements for babies!This is my first pregnancy and I'm clueless!
    We live in a two storey house, so we are thinking we will get a crib for our own bedroom, where baby will sleep until they're 6 months old and then move him to his own room, where we will have a cot or cot bed.(does this sound correct?!)
    Problem is re napping downstairs- we don't really have room for cots and moses baskets downstairs, but will move things around obviously if needs be- can they sleep during the day in the carrycot bit of the pram(ours isn't one approved for overnight sleeping), should we get a moses basket for sleeping during the day(have heard they can grow out of them very quickly?), or should the baby sleep in the crib (upstairs) during the day?Really hoping someone can shed some light on this as I'm totally confused- I want to do what is right for baby

Youll want to wait till about a year before puttin them in their own room.

As for day sleeps a moses basket is best untill they are no longer newborns, then when you are comfirtable letting them nap for a wile without numerous checks the cot should be grand - using baby monitors of course!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Squiggler

Babies will pretty much sleep anywhere. My sis kept hers in whatever room she was in, on a sofa or armchair with cushions placed so they don't roll off. She had a moses basket but her girls were too tall for it very quickly and she didn't like that she couldn't see them in it.

My SIL had one of those baby sleep positioners (like a portable mattress with attached side cushions) and put her little guy in that on the table or whatever (again, wherever she was).

A friend of mine's baby does most of his daytime sleeping attached to her in a mei tai on her back.

Basically, I think it is going to be whatever you're comfortable with and works for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Acoshla

Why do you say that?

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Acoshla wrote: »
    Why do you say that?

It is to keep the risk of sudden infant death at it's lowest, which is obviously what is best for baby.

[snip]

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Xdancer

Our place is tiny so I didn't have many options of where to put her to sleep. She used to take her naps downstairs in her pram, and slept at night in her cot in our room.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Our bedroom and front door are downstairs and sitting room is upstairs, so we climb the stairs a few times a day, not just at night.

We've arranged a lend of two baskets - one for the bedroom, one for the sitting room - so we only have to carry baby up and down the stairs. Plan is to move the baby into its own room after six months. A year would be far too long.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Jem123

As for day sleeps a moses basket is best untill they are no longer newborns, then when you are comfirtable letting them nap for a wile without numerous checks the cot should be grand - using baby monitors of course!!

Absolutely no need to keep a baby in your room for a year. I moved my son into his room at 6 months and he loves it. He actually sleeps much better in there away from the noise in our room.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭Thumby

Hi all,

I've kept all my children sleeping in Moses baskets in the living room with me when they were born, and at night then i'd just bring the basket upstairs with me until they were about six weeks old. After that i'd have them sleeping in a cot in my room until they were a year old and durning the day they napped in the baskets until they 1) either grew out of the basket or 2) hit six months and after that they went up to their cot for their naps, using monitors of course.
    It's entirely up to you as to when you put your babs in a room of their own but the general guideline is about a year old, from the various health professionals i've dealt with over the last 13 years. Not to mention they fact that there will be other factors to consider when you are moving the child, how many feeds the child is on a night, how they sleep, your own comfort levels etc when considering a room of his/her own.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭ariana`

Most parents i know who went to the expense of buying a carrycot/pram used this for day time naps downstairs until the baby grew too big for the carrycot. I didn't have one so i had a moses basket downstairs initially but i wouldn't splash out on this if you already have a carrycot because you will probably only use it on Baby No. 1. I'm due 2nd baby now and i intend to use the travel cot downstairs because i don't trust my wonderful toddler not to knock over the basket :rolleyes:

When baby gets too big for whatever you're using downstairs then just let them nap upstairs in the cot/crib.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭Lantus

For first 6 months a moses basket in the living room and our bedroom worked for us. V young babies sleep on and off in chunks of hours. It takes a while before they get into what some people like to refer to as a routine....

At around 6 months we transferred our baby to his own room. At this age they can be more inquisitive and the noise of you moving and just sleeping can wake them up to see whats going on. Naps are taken either in the pram, car or travel cot depending where I am and what I am doing. He's nice and flexible which is the way you want it.

I would also say get your baby used to noise and sounds during the day and then make it quiet..er at night. Helps them distinguish betwen day and night and also if they do sleep during the day gets them used to noise so the slightest thing doesn't wake them later on.

I remember getting home from the hospital and thinking how quiet the house was. Radio on, put some washing on and talk normally. I used to rock baby to sleep with Faithless tracks (dancy), worked a treat. Now he's 1 and we can make noises and talk when he's in bed and dont have to worry about him waking up to see whats going on. He wasn't starved of noise....bit of a tangent but was on my mind....

• Advertisement

Lantus wrote: »
    I used to rock baby to sleep with Faithless tracks (dancy), worked a treat. Now he's 1 and we can make noises and talk when he's in bed and dont have to worry about him waking up to see whats going on. He wasn't starved of noise....bit of a tangent but was on my mind....

My little one used to drift off to sleep to the sound of the hoover and Metallica's "Enter Sandman". Now she's terrified of the hoover lol.
    You are bang on about getting them used to having noise around them constantly(ish).
    OP when you do start putting babs upstairs for naps/into their own room it might be an idea to have a radio playing low, in the background for him/her as well. The mobiles for cots/cribs i found no good after about six months as mine used to get to fascinated with them and would try to play with them instead of sleep. The lullabies were lovely and soothing etc, but mine just wanted to play with the toys, so they quickly went bye bye and were replaced with a low radio in the room.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭dublinlady

Mine was in pram downstairs and a not very light Moses basket upstairs! When she grew out of pram at 4 months she napped downstairs with me on couch (with pillows around etc and supervision) . We moved the Moses basket from our room to her own at 4 months as she made so much noise in her sleep neither of us could sleep! Plus my husbands snoring would wake her!! We all were much happier and slept much better from then on with monitors!
    We only moved her into cotbed at about 21 weeks and she has her naps in here now too. She has 2 long naps a day - one from 9.30 -11.30 and one from 1.30 -3.30 In the cot. She snoozes for half an hr between 5-6 while in the buggy out for a walk and then bed between half 7 and 8! She's 25 weeks.
    For first 23 weeks she didn't follow such a routine and just napped half hr to hr- here and there when she needed it (every hr &half for newborn at least!) but now I'm going back to work I wanted to have her routine more set. Sge seems very happy in the cot now!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

Mine will sleep in the pram in the livingroom/kitchen. Part of the reason I like the idea of that is so I can easily wheel them into whatever room I want them in even if they are asleep. As well as that rolling the pram back and forth often makes a restless baby fall asleep and it also means that I can go for a walk during nap time if I want some air or need to take the dogs out.

Once he outgrows the pram I'll get a travel cot for the livingroom, which can double up as a playpen as he gets older.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 779 ✭✭✭homeOwner

My twins slept in our room in a travel cot for the first 2 weeks then I moved a second travel cot downstairs to the sitting room and I slept upstairs till 12 midnight and I slept downstairs till 6am to let husband get some sleep for going to work. He did the late night and early morning feeds, I did the over night ones. We rotatated sleeping upstairs or downstairs for 6 weeks then moved them into their own cots in their own room with these monitors mounted on the wall
    http://www.luvion.com/baby_monitors/platinum/platinum_37/
    and went back to sleeping together in our own bed.

During the day the travel cot was in the sitting room for their naps which was really handy, lots of room for 2 babies.

It worked for us.
    Every family is different. Travel cots are great for downstairs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Where do they sleep during the day? Anywhere and everywhere if you're lucky!

Out for a walk in the buggy (flat reclining one). This was the one we used most, walks are great for recovery after the birth.
    In the carseat
    In the sling
    In the bouncy chair.
    On your chest on the sofa in front of a bit of early morning Fraiser!
    In a moses basket on the floor.

Some babies are noisy little creatures when they sleep by the way. grunting and farting like mad, and shuffling about. Ours was in her own room from 4 weeks old with a monitor. We were getting no sleep otherwise.

Bouncy chair was handy for us as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

AVBo wrote: »
    It is to keep the risk of sudden infant death at it's lowest, which is obviously what is best for baby.

Baby should come first for at least the first year of his/her life.

The position the baby is in is much more important than the location. Evidence for this assertion is sparse and even then the recommendation is 6 months not 12.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,695 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

pwurple wrote: »
    Where do they sleep during the day? Anywhere and everywhere if you're lucky!

Out for a walk in the buggy (flat reclining one). This was the one we used most, walks are great for recovery after the birth.
    In the carseat
    In the sling
    In the bouncy chair.
    On your chest on the sofa in front of a bit of early morning Fraiser!
    In a moses basket on the floor.

Just to state for anyone who is new to parenting (and not aimed at pwurple at all, just using their example) the car seat should only be used in very strictly controlled circumstances for newborns and young babies.
    No. 3: Using the car seat as a replacement crib

A car seat is designed to protect your child during travel. It's not for use as a replacement crib in your home. A 2009 study showed that sitting upright in a car seat might compress a newborn's chest and lead to lower levels of oxygen. Even mild airway obstruction can impair a child's development. Sitting in a car seat for lengthy periods can also contribute to the development of a flat spot on the back of your baby's head and worsen gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD) — a chronic digestive disease. In addition, a child can easily be injured by falling out of an improperly used car seat or while sitting in a car seat that falls from an elevated surface, such as a table or counter. Although it's essential to buckle your child into a car seat during travel, don't let your child sleep or relax in the car seat for long periods of time out of the car.
    http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/car-seat-safety/MY00824

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Where ever they fall asleep really :-)
    In the sling or the pram for the 1st few weeks, then up in their basket from then on.
    I kept them in my room for the 1st year because I slept better no other reason :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭liliq

Orion wrote: »
    The position the baby is in is much more important than the location. Evidence for this assertion is sparse and even then the recommendation is 6 months not 12.

Off topic, but location has proven to be very important as well. In the parents room/ co sleeping (although the term isn't adequately defined when it comes to the stats, and provided neither parents smokes, has had a few drinks, uses recreational drugs etc) has be shown to significantly reduce the risk of SIDS also. Sleeping on their back is of course the biggest factor in reducing the risk.
    Moonbeam wrote: »
    Where ever they fall asleep really :-)
    In the sling or the pram for the 1st few weeks, then up in their basket from then on.
    I kept them in my room for the 1st year because I slept better no other reason :)

Same as! Wherever he fell asleep, we left him sleep. Definitely don't panic about it, and dont go buying a load of stuff that you may not need. You'll figure out what works for you as you go along.
    For the first 4 weeks we were living with my mam, so it was either in his moses basket beside our bed, in our bed, or in the carry cot downstairs.
    Once we moved, he usually nodded off in the travel cot downstairs or in the bed upstairs for naps.
    During the night he was in the moses basket/ bed until 9 weeks, and then he outgrew the Moses basket so we got a co sleeping cot... I can't recommend one of these enough, OP, esp if you're going to breastfeed. They make night feeds so simple.
    I had planned on having him in his own room at 6 months, now he's nearly 11 months and his room is currently being used as a study, and will be for at least the next 2 months. And he wakes a couple of times anyway, so it makes sense for him to stay in our room for the moment. :D

liliq wrote: »
    And he wakes a couple of times anyway, so it makes sense for him to stay in our room for the moment. :D

Doesn't sound like ya mind that too much though. :D But when you do decide to move your little man if it helps to know, the first night i put my little woman into her own room she slept right through, 14 hours. I got some shock when i woke up the next morning and of course panicked as well, i was so used to her waking me up 3 times a night. She is still doing it to this day, unless of course she's sick/teething etc...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

It depends on the child mine slept through the night from about 6 weeks and 10 weeks in the room with me and when I moved them out they barely noticed!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hannibal Smith

The pram during the day and the moses basket at night for the very early stages. In the cot naps and night when they're a bit older.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭liliq

Thumby wrote: »
    Doesn't sound like ya mind that too much though. :D

Nah, it's grand to be honest. We half wake up, he latches on, I fall back asleep!

A nice wrap is another option, OP. Especially if you want to get things done but keep your baby close at the same time. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭highly1111

You'll put the baby in its own room when you and it are good & ready. My first boy was 6 weeks & my second 5 weeks when they went into their own rooms. The risk of cot death is greatly reduced after 4 months anyway. My boys slept far far better in their cots in their rooms. They love the space.

My boys slept in a doomoo (google!) which is a special baby beanbag during the day - and it was amazing. Once they were about a month I would put them into their cots for naps. It meant that I could get so much more done.

Also don't underestimate the benefit of a good mattress - babies are just like us, the better the cot mattress the better they'll sleep!

And congrats by the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭SarahC11

i used a moses basket in the sitting room for about 3weeks then she got too tall! so i bought a travel cot for the sitting room for a few months, if u have room for one they are great for sleeping and if ur babys anything like mine once she started to move she never sit still! so its handy if your cleaning or whatever just put a few toys in for them and you can go about the house knowing there not gonna fall out of it! i got a bouncer but never used it much but i got a swing an its great she's one now an i still put her in it (mind you she's nearly out of it now but due in april so her new sis or bro will use it) but its handy cos you can strap them in! and it lies back so i let her nap in that aswell

Advertisement