Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Books

Options
  • 08-08-2012 10:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭

Guys,

I'd like to read up on Triathlons as i start getting into them.

What are the best books about history and characters, and also the best for beginners to learn about training techniques and plans etc,,?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

most tri history books have a problem saying that hawaii 1978 was the first tri ......
    this is from 1931 in france ........

http://www.britishpathe.com/video/the-walk-run-cycle-crawl-swim-race

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭couerdelion

Most people seem to rate "The Triathletes Training Bible" by Joe Friel to help to plan training.

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭subscriber

Im reading iornfit by don fink at the moment. Its aimed at athletes planning on undertaking the IM distance, although i'm only planning a half iorn, I still find the subject matter interesting and I have adjusted some of his plans to suit the half IM distance.

It gives a great insight on how approach your training in a structured way and that's what I have mostly taken away from it.

I spent all of last year repeating the same workouts and gaining no additional fitness, doing low intensity workouts with no specific goal in mind, and wasting time by doing junk miles.

Since I've started to read this book, I have more of an understanding on how to approach my training in a structured way.

That been said, if you are literally just starting out, someone on here may recommend something more focused towards a beginner.

PS - unless you are particularly interested in the history of the sport, I wouldn't buy a book that is too historical in terms of training plans. I would buy something more recent that has been revised by the legends of the sport, and is more recent and up to date.

Advertisement