Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Audi A4 losing coolant and power, chugging - need a garage

Options
  • 08-08-2012 9:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Morning all,

I've had a bit of a running problem with my A4 (2003, 1.8T petrol) for a few months now.
    In the beginning it started going through petrol a lot faster than it had been. Engine management light came on at one point, so I brought it to a local mechanic who replaced a dodgy valve, and that seemed to fix it for a while.

Petrol consumptions tarted creeping up again though. Management light back on, brought it back, another valve. Tried it for a few days, warning light was gone but petrol was still up, and coolant consumption started to creep up as well, which I found very weird. I couldn't see any leaks at the time, so wondered if I was imagining things.

A few weeks of trying to ignore the petrol problem, and all of a sudden a warning flashes up for my newly filled coolant. Dodgy sensor I thought. Not so. Had a look at the coolant levels and it was almost completely empty after just filling it a couple of weeks before.

It's now going through coolant at an alarming rate (a fill a week nearly) so it really needs to be sorted. It had been running ok up till today when I started it and it made a horrible chugging noise for the first few minutes. It settled down but I don't like it.

From checking various threads people seem to suggest it could be a dodgy connection, holes in pipes from the coolant tank, coolant getting into petrol or oil, or if it's gone too far it could even be (god forbid..) the gasket.

The first guy I brought it to clearly couldn't do it, so I'm wondering:

Is it better to bring it to a small mechanic with a good reputation for these problems? Or to just bite the bullet and go to an Audi dealer?

I'm willing to pay a reasonable amount to get it fixed, but I do want it actually fixed...

EDIT: I'm looking for somewhere in City Centre if possible..

Any help much appreciated! :)
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,918 ✭✭✭GavMan

I would say try contacting someone like Nissan Doctor or George Dalton on here. Knowledgeable independents who should see you right. Dunno about GD but, Nissan is based in Phibsboro/Drumcondra are if my memory is correct, so just outside city centre really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,223 ✭✭✭Nissan doctor

Which city center?:)

Do you know what parts were changed before or what the fault codes where?

• Registered Users Posts: 9 ManatArms

Fair point :) Dublin.

As far as I remember 2 valves and 1 temperature sensor were changed, so nothing drastic...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭haulagebasher

IF its loosing coolant rapidly, and its not leaking out onto the ground, then at best your head gasket it gone. A dodgy valve obviously will casue poor performance but I fail to see how it (on its own) would result in rapid coolant loss.Is it overheating at all? Check under the coolant filler cap for scummy deposits. Is there scummy/milky residue under the oil cap or on the dipstick?When you say your putting in coolant, is it actual coolant or just water? If it has been running on just water then, worstcase, you could have a pourous block from cavitation.

The coolant loss is only happening quite recently, and does seem to be leaking onto the ground, so I'm hoping it's not a gasket...
    There's no residue on the cap, and nothing dodgy about the oil cap or stick that I can see...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭haulagebasher

ManatArms wrote: »
    The coolant loss is only happening quite recently, and does seem to be leaking onto the ground, so I'm hoping it's not a gasket...
    There's no residue on the cap, and nothing dodgy about the oil cap or stick that I can see...

Water pump gasket/sealing ring or pump itself. Thermostat or its housing then perhaps. Is the motor overheating? Often a leak will only be observable when the engine is hot and the system pressurised, that may help pinpoint the source. If it is the engine I am thinking of, the thermostat has a plastic housing that is notorious for cracking and warping.

It doesn't show as overheating anywhere inside on the dash, but I haven't really got much of a knowledge of cars, so could be overheating under the hood and not telling me...

I'll have another look at the various housings and so on and see if there's anything obvious.

Audi North Dublin are quite close to where I live, would anyone recommend them for taking an expert look at it? Thanks for all the comments and suggestions..

Update: Was just on to Audi North Dublin who quoted me €120 pressure test, diagnostics, general once over. Wouldn't include parts presumably. Does that sound reasonable?

A friend has recommended William O'Brien Motors, http://williamobrienmotors.com, dunno if anyone has any experiences good/bad/indifferent?

Update: Was just on to Audi North Dublin who quoted me €120 pressure test, diagnostics, general once over. Wouldn't include parts presumably. Does that sound reasonable?

A friend has recommended William O'Brien Motors, http://williamobrienmotors.com, dunno if anyone has any experiences good/bad/indifferent?

You can get proper diagnostics done for a good bit less then that in the same area:)

If they didn't mention a sniff test/combustion leak test then they wouldn't have been able to confirm 100% if the head gasket is ok or not.

Thanks for the replies - They didn't mention it, but then I wouldn't have known to ask or listen out for it either :)
    One thing that is swaying me towards them is that the dude on the phone mentioned that there were 2 outstanding part recalls on the car that would be done FOC. Other than that, if I could find somewhere that is definitely reliable then I'd probably go with it..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭pie-man

pm me your chassis and ill check and confirm the parts recall. some dealers say this to get you in the door. the work they quoted should only cost about 60 euros ish .

Thanks for the replies - They didn't mention it, but then I wouldn't have known to ask or listen out for it either :)
    One thing that is swaying me towards them is that the dude on the phone mentioned that there were 2 outstanding part recalls on the car that would be done FOC. Other than that, if I could find somewhere that is definitely reliable then I'd probably go with it..

Part recalls are free of charge anyway.

Advertisement