Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

rent supplement

Options
  • 07-08-2012 9:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭

Hi everyone, hoping to get some advice here.
    I'll try keep it short, myself and my daughters father were renting a house together. His name on the lease as it was him paying rent from his monthly wages and me paying bills/food etc. weekly from my jsa casual and wages.
    We broke up and I had to move back to my parents.
    I'm still on the same income as before as I can't find full time work, I cannot afford to move out again on my own but I can't stay here long term. No places will house share with a child, which I guess is fair enough but leaves us stuck.
    I won't qualify for rent supplement under the 6month rule as I have no proof of living in private rented acc. as his name was on everything as he paid rent. And Im no longer renting either. I am in the process of applying for social housing but I am unsure if I will be accepted and if I am accepted onto the list will this mean I will qualify for the supplement as I have been assessed as having a housing need? I'm worried they will refuse me as having a need as I am at my parents but this can only be temporary.
    My daughter starts school soon and I am pretty worried about having her back in a stable home as soon as I can so would like to know where I stand even if it is negative. Thank you.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭amtw

When you apply for Social housing your local council will send out an Environmental Health Inspector to see what your housing situation is. If this person recommends that you are in need of housing then you will get on the list and be able to apply for Rent Supplement. What your home circumstances are is the important criteria, is there overcrowding, do you and your child have to share a room. Are your parents very elderly. These are the things the Environmental Health Inspector will be looking at.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭branbee

amtw wrote: »
    When you apply for Social housing your local council will send out an Environmental Health Inspector to see what your housing situation is. If this person recommends that you are in need of housing then you will get on the list and be able to apply for Rent Supplement. What your home circumstances are is the important criteria, is there overcrowding, do you and your child have to share a room. Are your parents very elderly. These are the things the Environmental Health Inspector will be looking at.

So we r currently sharing a room but the parents have an office, which isn't really ours to use as a room, will they just force them to allow us to use this as a room even though my parents thought they were rid of us, in the nicest possible way!
    Like I know the house we're in now would appear to be suitable but at the end of the day its not ours to be in if you get me, they're just welcoming us in til we find our feet.
    And thank you for your reply!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Have a read of the citizens info page on it anyway:
    http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/social_welfare/social_welfare_payments/supplementary_welfare_schemes/rent_supplement.html

Except for the time, you've nothing to lose by having them come out and assess you. So ya might as well find out what they think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭hollster2

branbee wrote: »
    Hi everyone, hoping to get some advice here.
    I'll try keep it short, myself and my daughters father were renting a house together. His name on the lease as it was him paying rent from his monthly wages and me paying bills/food etc. weekly from my jsa casual and wages.
    We broke up and I had to move back to my parents.
    I'm still on the same income as before as I can't find full time work, I cannot afford to move out again on my own but I can't stay here long term. No places will house share with a child, which I guess is fair enough but leaves us stuck.
    I won't qualify for rent supplement under the 6month rule as I have no proof of living in private rented acc. as his name was on everything as he paid rent. And Im no longer renting either. I am in the process of applying for social housing but I am unsure if I will be accepted and if I am accepted onto the list will this mean I will qualify for the supplement as I have been assessed as having a housing need? I'm worried they will refuse me as having a need as I am at my parents but this can only be temporary.
    My daughter starts school soon and I am pretty worried about having her back in a stable home as soon as I can so would like to know where I stand even if it is negative. Thank you.

hi i was living with my parents n id never rented i got rent supplement i just said id no proof of renting cause i hadnt

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭branbee

Thanks for all the replies. I called the council and the man said living with my parents shouldn't impact on how I am assessed for the housing list anyway.

holster2, how long have you been getting the supplement? The council assessment or 6 month renting rule is fairly new afaik.

• Advertisement
Advertisement