Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying a US sim card in Ireland?

Options
  • 07-08-2012 2:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16

Hi - I was wondering if anyone knows anything about US SIM cards.

I'm preparing to move to US in Oct to start my 12 month work visa and I'll shortly be sending out resumes to perspective employers. I was recommended to put a US number on my resume, and that I could buy a SIM card here and just set the calls to voicemail and check every few days before I fly out. Has anyone done this before? If so where did you buy one?

Thanks
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

What phone have you got? If it is an iPhone your only option is AT&T goPhone and they don't do data.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭lil_lisa

Well the OP wouldn't need data. Just a registered number with voicemail.

I'm not sure of anywhere that might sell them. You might want to look up ATT retailers in Ireland or something? Otherwise, maybe choose a US phone company, send them an email explaining what you're trying to do and maybe they could set up an account for you online or something. If you have a skype account, you can get a US skype number for it so people can call you directly to your skype. That could also be an option?

http://www.skype.com/intl/en-us/features/allfeatures/online-number/

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭avalon68

MadsL wrote: »
    What phone have you got? If it is an iPhone your only option is AT&T goPhone and they don't do data.

Go phone doesn't work in Ireland......for me anyway. No roaming

Why not just rent a voicemail box?

http://www.copycall.com

or similar - $8 a month

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭Aprilmay

Buy one from MAXROAM they are an Irish company my husband did that before we moved, he set his up with a local NC number before we moved here and got calls from companies who thought we were already in the U.S . You can also let to go to voicemail if you like:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭old_aussie

Would the sender know he only can receive voice mail?

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭Aprilmay

If you're talking about the MAXROAM product its like a normal SIM if its powered on it will ring and then go to voicemail, if its powered off it will automatically go to voice mail.

old_aussie wrote: »
    Would the sender know he only can receive voice mail?

I assume that would be on the personal voicemail message, no?

• Registered Users Posts: 16 osullm36

Thanks for all the help guys.
    That's exactly what I want to do, is make an employer think I'm in the country before I arrive otherwise I just lose valuable weeks job searching.

I think Skype or Copycall might work

Thanks

Good luck with your job search.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16 osullm36

Thanks MadsL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭ResearchWill

osullm36 wrote: »
    Thanks for all the help guys.
    That's exactly what I want to do, is make an employer think I'm in the country before I arrive otherwise I just lose valuable weeks job searching.

I think Skype or Copycall might work

Thanks

Skypein number with the Skype world plan, the plan is €9.99 a month I think the number is €25.00 a year. You can also divert all the calls to an Irish land number no extra cost. It's also handy when you are in the states as you can ring Irish land lines for free.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 TimSim

osullm36 wrote: »
    Hi - I was wondering if anyone knows anything about US SIM cards.

I'm preparing to move to US in Oct to start my 12 month work visa and I'll shortly be sending out resumes to perspective employers. I was recommended to put a US number on my resume, and that I could buy a SIM card here and just set the calls to voicemail and check every few days before I fly out. Has anyone done this before? If so where did you buy one?

Thanks

Hi!

We're a new Irish company that sells foreign Sim cards so that you don't have to roam whilst abroad. We sell prepaid Sim plans for the US, similar to how they work in Ireland.-We dont charge for the Sim, you just pay for the bundle or credit package.

It also means that we can post you the Sim card so that you have the phone number in advance of your travels: Allowing you to share it with friends / family or put it on your CV. Our website is www.simlocal.com. but please feel free to contact me directly if I can help!

Advertisement