Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to get started with creative writing?

Options
  • 07-08-2012 12:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭

Hey folks,

I'm kind of looking for hobbies at the moment, and if I'm honest it's the recent death of Maeve Binchy that put into my head the idea of giving writing a shot! I've never really done any fiction or creative writing to be honest, and I'm not even a big reader :o However it's something I'm interested in trying.

I play guitar/piano, and have struggled to try and write a song recently, so I guess that's the closest I've come in that regard.

I'm just looking for some tips or advice on how to start putting pen to paper, and where to begin... Some things I've thought of just now:
    1. Read more fiction!
    2. Pick a scene, object, person, etc., and write as much as I can about it
    3. Go to a beginners' writing class*
    4. Start with a short story

* Incidentally does anyone know a good class in Dublin for beginners? Ideally with a youngish group, so that I might meet people close to my own age (24).

Thanks for any help or advice! :D

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

• Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭--Kaiser--

The three steps to being a writer

1. Write stuff
    2. ???????
    3. Profit

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,232 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Still on step 2...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Nice one, have entered that thing... Wasn't expecting to just start writing the same day I post this, but there ya have it!

Any other suggestions guys?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭--Kaiser--

In the words of Stephen King
    “If you want to be a writer, you must do two things above all others: read a lot and write a lot.”

(and one thing he does is write a lot)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

--Kaiser-- wrote: »
    In the words of Stephen King

(and one thing he does is write a lot)

hey guys im going to interrupt this book to ask you personally not to send angry letters when you read the ending okay thanks now back to the book

• Registered Users Posts: 12,431 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

Why don't you join the Write Club.
    You can work on your own stuff and post it up for critique when you like. It may also help motivate you knowing that you have a forum of people waiting on you to submit something! :)
    I think you need to pm Pickarooney for access.

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭Agent Weebley

Hi Dave,

If you are not a big reader, then hanging out in this forum is a good start. If you are trying to write a song, then reading the poetry threads would be a good start.

Like Dean09 said above, Write Club would be a good start, I assume, for someone who hasn't written much and feels a little icky about their work being seen by others, outside of Write Club.

Having said that, since you are a Moderator, and read a lot of postings, as well, you have written over 26,000 posts, which is quite an accomplishment, I personally think that the 66% to 90% of people that do not have access to posting but view quite a lot of threads on this site are also waiting for you to submit something.

It is obvious to me that you can string words together, so how about you write something parallel to the current ARENA feat of mental strength, but keep them to yourself, if you are not happy with them.

One time, I read Stephen King's book, called On Writing, and to paraphrase something he said: I went to a petrol station one time, and I needed to go to the bog, which was around the back. On the edge of the path leading to the bog, there was this big hill sloping down to a river. I thought to myself, what if I slipped down that big fecking hill? That would be the beginning of a story, right? What if I tailored the vernacular to Irish people? They might write a story based On Writing . . .

All you need is a desired end point of what subject you want to explore. The entry point can be anywhere, anytime, or anyone. The joy of writing it is that you are possibly not going to reach that end point "quest," or the end point will look entirely different once you reach it.

I hope I'm not being too forward in mentioning this, but you are welcome to join in on dogmax and my thread: Mound Of Hostages, where you can lead the storyline and follow it at the same time, depending on your agenda and what you perceive to be happening. I'm poised to begin Chapter 2 tonight. I'm going to call it "A Myriad Of Hostages," as a thank you to bluewolf.

oh my god a legible post

*claps*

also you're welcome :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Hi Dave,

If you are not a big reader, then hanging out in this forum is a good start. If you are trying to write a song, then reading the poetry threads would be a good start.

Like Dean09 said above, Write Club would be a good start, I assume, for someone who hasn't written much and feels a little icky about their work being seen by others, outside of Write Club.

Having said that, since you are a Moderator, and read a lot of postings, as well, you have written over 26,000 posts, which is quite an accomplishment, I personally think that the 66% to 90% of people that do not have access to posting but view quite a lot of threads on this site are also waiting for you to submit something.

It is obvious to me that you can string words together, so how about you write something parallel to the current ARENA feat of mental strength, but keep them to yourself, if you are not happy with them.

One time, I read Stephen King's book, called On Writing, and to paraphrase something he said: I went to a petrol station one time, and I needed to go to the bog, which was around the back. On the edge of the path leading to the bog, there was this big hill sloping down to a river. I thought to myself, what if I slipped down that big fecking hill? That would be the beginning of a story, right? What if I tailored the vernacular to Irish people? They might write a story based On Writing . . .

All you need is a desired end point of what subject you want to explore. The entry point can be anywhere, anytime, or anyone. The joy of writing it is that you are possibly not going to reach that end point "quest," or the end point will look entirely different once you reach it.

I hope I'm not being too forward in mentioning this, but you are welcome to join in on dogmax and my thread: Mound Of Hostages, where you can lead the storyline and follow it at the same time, depending on your agenda and what you perceive to be happening. I'm poised to begin Chapter 2 tonight. I'm going to call it "A Myriad Of Hostages," as a thank you to bluewolf.

Thanks for the great post! In particular the bit in bold is giving me pause for thought :) My mate read that book also, and recommends it. But I should really be reading fiction if that's what I'm going to be writing! :D I suppose since it's written by a fiction writer, it's not likely to be as sober as the stuff I normally read

Thanks again

• Advertisement

bluewolf wrote: »
    oh my god a legible post

*claps*

also you're welcome :D

No probs. I love this forum and you guys . . . or gals, but you are a tough crowd! I actually choose to write in Ogham tree language (code) . . . it keeps my head on . . .

You should read Gulliver's Postscript. , as RichardAnd did a jolly good job writing that little piece . . . his head is still firmly attached too!

Dave! wrote: »
    Thanks for the great post! In particular the bit in bold is giving me pause for thought :) My mate read that book also, and recommends it. But I should really be reading fiction if that's what I'm going to be writing! :D I suppose since it's written by a fiction writer, it's not likely to be as sober as the stuff I normally read

Thanks again

You're welcome, but my moment of seemingly lucid speech will be short lived, methinks! Chapter 2 awaits . . .

Between you, me and the gatepost, I have never actually read a Stephen King book, as I find him too dark . . . but his On Writing book is AbFab, as it delves into his writing style, such as: devoting the morning to writing, then living his life for the rest of the day.

I am paraphasing Stephen King once again . . .

"I am a big proponent of saying he said or she said, as I find it cliche to add descriptors after a speech, rather than inside the body of the speech, or as a narrative set apart from the speech" he said, with a monied smile upon his face, probably due to the big thick books he sells by the container load.

He also listens to his wife's critiques and takes note.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭echo beach

He also listens to his wife's critiques and takes note.

If all men, including those who aren't writers, did that there would be so much more marital harmony.:)

No surprise that King has managed to stay married to the same woman since they were in college. If he ever runs out of ideas for bestsellers he could write a guide for husbands.

Advertisement