Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Asthma medication

Options
  • 06-08-2012 10:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭

I know asthma is not officially classified as a long-term illness but we all know different ;)

Just wanted to post this up here to save anyone else a similar situation.

My boyfriend got my prescription for me in an independently owned chemist in Waterford City nearly 2 weeks ago. He arrived home to tell me that my prescription had cost €130 (thereabouts). He got me 2 inhalers, Seretide 250 evohaler and Salamol 100mg inhaler. I knew that the Salamol should only have been €10 max. so I rang the chemist to query the prices as the last time I got the inhaler it was about €85. I was told over the phone that the price was correct and it was the price being charged by all chemists. I rang 3 other chemists in the area and was told the same price or thereabouts, €1/€2 in the difference either way.

I happened to be in Boots last Thursday getting antibiotics and I asked the chemist what price they were charging for Seretide. She was nowhere near as offended that I would query the price as the other chemist was over the phone - she demanded to know why I wanted to know the price. So the chemist in Boots went off to check the price. Seretide 250 evohaler €74.78. I couldn't believe it! The chemist in Boots told me that Sam McCauleys have also reduced their prices recently.

So just to warn anybody else, I'm sure you don't want to pay nearly €50 more in one chemist so beware of where you are shopping.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭bob50

I know asthma is not officially classified as a long-term illness but we all know different ;)

Just wanted to post this up here to save anyone else a similar situation.

My boyfriend got my prescription for me in an independently owned chemist in Waterford City nearly 2 weeks ago. He arrived home to tell me that my prescription had cost €130 (thereabouts). He got me 2 inhalers, Seretide 250 evohaler and Salamol 100mg inhaler. I knew that the Salamol should only have been €10 max. so I rang the chemist to query the prices as the last time I got the inhaler it was about €85. I was told over the phone that the price was correct and it was the price being charged by all chemists. I rang 3 other chemists in the area and was told the same price or thereabouts, €1/€2 in the difference either way.

I happened to be in Boots last Thursday getting antibiotics and I asked the chemist what price they were charging for Seretide. She was nowhere near as offended that I would query the price as the other chemist was over the phone - she demanded to know why I wanted to know the price. So the chemist in Boots went off to check the price. Seretide 250 evohaler €74.78. I couldn't believe it! The chemist in Boots told me that Sam McCauleys have also reduced their prices recently.

So just to warn anybody else, I'm sure you don't want to pay nearly €50 more in one chemist so beware of where you are shopping.

Hi Pixibean as you paid 130€ your close to the 132€ monthly that you would pay to get all your drugs for any given month if your drugs cost say 300 500 or higher you would still only pay the 132 i know the 132 is a ridiculosy high amount to get your meds i pay this every month and i have freinds who have the medical card who pay 0.50 per line with a cap of 10 euro Like yourself i have Asthma and cant understand why its not included in long term illness

My best option is give up work go on the dole and get a medical card

Advertisement