Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

.iso file not visible on disk drive...

Options
  • 06-08-2012 7:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,664 ✭✭✭

I have written a .iso file to a cd-rom. It shows with the correct size - and as I labeled it on this windows 7 laptop. When I load the disk into another (windows xp) laptop, nothing shows under the cd-rom directory. I had already changed the folder options to 'show hidden files' (although I dont think an .iso should be affected by this in any event - it's not a system file).

Anyone have any ideas as to what the issue is?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

What did you use to burn the .iso

21/25

• Registered Users Posts: 4,664 ✭✭✭makeorbrake

uch wrote: »
    What did you use to burn the .iso
    I'm not even sure of that - I think thats something that's included - incorporated into - with Windows 7?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭homer911

You need to use iso burning software, and you need to close out the recording session...

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,978 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

this free program ticks most of the cd burning boxes
    http://cdburnerxp.se/en/home

how to and overview of other burner programs
    www.petri.co.il/how_to_write_iso_files_to_cd.htm

homer911 wrote: »
    You need to use iso burning software, and you need to close out the recording session...
    Ok, but if i place the disk in my win 7 machine, it recognises it?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,978 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Ok, but if i place the disk in my win 7 machine, it recognises it?
    In teh olden days I'd have said are you sure the XP machine has a CD Writer and ye olde CD rom readers couldn't read rewritable / certain colour media

note some programs can treat an iso as a folder, 7zip etc.

In teh olden days I'd have said are you sure the XP machine has a CD Writer and ye olde CD rom readers couldn't read rewritable / certain colour media

note some programs can treat an iso as a folder, 7zip etc.
    When it had finished, it had filename.iso listed within that disk - nothing else. If I put it back in the win 7 machine, it will show with that filename - and the label that I put on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭OneIdea

Does the "other (windows xp) laptop", read all other cd/dvd disks, some drives over time can still write to disks but they fail to read the same, its just ware and tare.

Are you trying to load windows 7 over the XP laptop?

When it had finished, it had filename.iso listed within that disk - nothing else. If I put it back in the win 7 machine, it will show with that filename - and the label that I put on it.
    that's your problem

copying the file to the disk means you just have a file on a disk,

you need to use a special program to make the entire disk from the 1's and 0's contained within .iso file - if the "boot sector / boot files" aren't in exactly the right spot on the disk it won't be bootable

that's your problem

copying the file to the disk means you just have a file on a disk,
    I thought I 'burned' the file to the disk? It said as much. However, when I went back to check on it, I just saw the total file there - with the correct data size. I then closed down that window. When I checked back on the machine, it asked me to click here to finish. I *think* I had already removed the disk at this stage. Is that relevant here?

Is it' borked then - and therefore, I have to start all over again?

• Advertisement

Advertisement