Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Audi A5 - problem with sump pan

Options
  • 06-08-2012 5:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi

I have an 2009 Audi A5 coupe and after a recent inspection the Audi garage have advised that the sump pan is corroded. The car has only 98,000km and I can't understand how this could be.

Has anyone heard of this happening before, Audi are not being very helpful - they have offered to supply parts FOC but not labour which is the big cost as it will take approx 7 hours labour!

Any guidance or ideas greatly appreciated, thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

Could you not take the parts and get it fitted elsewhere?

Seems a bit of a sham if a 3 year old car is corroded and they will supply but not fit.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭George Dalton

Could you not take the parts and get it fitted elsewhere?

Seems a bit of a sham if a 3 year old car is corroded and they will supply but not fit.

It's probably a goodwill claim that the dealer is putting in. They won't just hand out the parts across the counter. I would imagine the offer of free parts only applies if they are supplying the labour.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

It's probably a goodwill claim that the dealer is putting in. They won't just hand out the parts across the counter. I would imagine the offer of free parts only applies if they are supplying the labour.

Thought new cars were covered against corrosion for X number of years? Sure that would count.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭George Dalton

I am sure the warranty is worded in such a way that makes it clear the corrosion warranty only applies to the bodyshell.

OP, what is the total cost of 7 hours labour to you? It may work out cheaper for you to get an independent garage to supply and fit the parts rather than pay the main dealer labour rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,300 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Jesus I hope mine doesn't have that problem.
    In relation to the goodwill claim, I previously get half knocked off a part that I just bought from the parts counter but certainly more recently, they have been offering a percentage off parts and labour which in many instances makes it cheaper to just pay for the part.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭ljpg

just goes to show what modern cars are made off these days,if its that bad you might want to check around the rest of your cars floorpan for corrosion

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭Greyfoot

Was just about to post in the relevant thread that I just spent the day, approx 9hrs on my car. All four brake lines changed, rear diff and prop shaft dropped, rear coilovers removed and cleaned, refitted, fuel tank dropped, taken out. Cleaned and sanded the tank and the rear under body.

With 7hrs labour they taking their sweet time to change a sump over me thinks.

PS: All the above job done at the driveway with a Lidl trolley and two axle stands without any air tool or mechanic cert..

Advertisement