Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The state of the organisation called R.L.I.

Options
  • 06-08-2012 9:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 1

I'd like to open a debate about the state of the governing body for Rugby League in Ireland. The organisation is funded by "the RFL", based in the UK. It has a full time general manager and two full time development officers, one based in Munster to cover Munster and Connacht, the other based in Ulster to cover Leinster and Ulster. it is a private company and has a board of directors who govern the employees.

Please keep all comments non personal and do not mention names please, use titles (if you have to). Do not let this be a bitching session or a back slapping congratulations session.
    let it be constructive and sensible.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

I don't know enough about them, not making any inroads in the promotion of the game in main stream media here that I have seen, but maybe they are grass roots level?

RFL will find it difficult to expand in the UK, let alone outside it. Hope I am wrong on both counts!

• Registered Users Posts: 20 NDeagles_man

I think the organisation is struggling and one of the big problems is finance. At a corporate level the RLI have [to date] struggled to bring in sponsorship of any worth but hopefully with the World Cup coming that will change. I'd be suprised if a big sponsor is not found who will grab the chance for the massive exposure with the games v England and Australia.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭MerryWhistleblo

A governing body funded by the RFL with an annual grant of £100,000. This grant was established to pay the salaries of three staff members and their ancillory costs -vehicle lease and fuel, phone, mobile broadband. These employees are a general manager and two regional managers who manage an open age all island competition between clubs based in four provinces playing in three provincial competitions.The employees are also responsible for the development of further levels of competition which has thus far extended to third level education with the innauguration of an Inter-Provincial competition played in Belfast in the Spring of this year. As of this month all representative rugby league teams wearing an RLI badge have recorded 8 wins in 37 competitive fixtures since the RLWC in 2008, in 2009 Ireland Students recorded victories over England and Scotland during the Student 4 Nations, victories over Wales and Scotland in the Amateur 4 Nations (prior to the establishment of a full time staff) and a victory over Serbia in the 2009 European Cup. 2010 saw no win recorded by an Irish team in competitive fixtures. 2011 brought a victory in the Donnybrook Cup versus America and a victory v England in the Amateur 4 Nations. 2012 has brought a win v Scotland in the European Cup. In comparison to Wales ,who in November 2008 were in a similar position to Ireland with regard to playing numbers at all levels, open age clubs and grant allocated by the RFL, where could RLI evaluate the state of their organisation? To contrast - 2 semi-pro clubs, universities competing in the BUCS Super Six, South Wales Hornets, 100 schoolboy teams, an international senior squad consisting of 75%+ Welsh born players...........

Advertisement