Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

glucophage & running help please

Options
  • 06-08-2012 9:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 20

Hi, I'm due to start glucophage soon for pcos (insulin resistance). I have taken up running recently and am really enjoying it. I have heard that there can be some nasty side effects and I'm worried about the effect it might have on my running. Will I be ok once I dont take any glucophage before I run or can i get an attack at any time of the day regardless of when I took the meds/ate?? I'm doing my first 5k in a few weeks so I dont really want to take a break from running as I'm slow enough as it is :D

Any help/advice on when to take meds & eat to avoid an attack would be great as I dont want to be dashing to the bushes when I'm out with the club :o

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,810 ✭✭✭Seren_

Hello! I'm also taking glucophage for PCOS. I haven't found the side-effects really that bad tbh. The first week or two of taking it, I had some nausea, cramps and diarrhea, but nothing too terrible. After that, I only noticed side-effects when I had to increase the dosage. I would take a tablet in the morning and one in the afternoon/evening. The cramps/nausea would appear within an hour or so after taking the tablet if I remember correctly.

Everyone reacts differently to tablets of course though, so what suits me may not suit you. If you're not sure about anything, make sure and let your doctor know.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Red_Apple

Thanks for your reply, hopefully i'll be ok on it like you are. if the effects died down within 1 or 2 hrs that would be great as I can fit that in with training!

Have you found it good- the glucophage I mean? Did it have any noticable effect on your symptoms?

Thanks again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,810 ✭✭✭Seren_

No worries! I've only been taking it for a few months (since May), but so far it has helped regulate my periods a bit and I have lost a little bit of weight without a whole lot of effort, which is good :) My doctor said it can take a while for any effects to be really noticable, so do keep that in mind! Hopefully it works well for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭RUCKING FETARD

Advertisement