Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Received statutory redundancy outside a year Do I still qualify for BTEA

Options
  • 06-08-2012 1:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi guys,

I wonder if you can help me.
    I have been awarded a place in UL as a mature student in Psychology.

I am currently receiving illness benefit for 18 months now, but

I received statutory redundancy on August 31 2011.
    I applied to BTEA and was told I didnt not meet the qualifying period of two years, so
    I decided to claim under the statutory redundancy segment as outlined on their website -

"If you have been awarded statutory redundancy and are entitled to a qualifying social welfare payment immediately before you start the course (note that it is not necessary to actually be receiving the payment) you can get immediate access to the BTEA without any waiting period. You must take part in the BTEA scheme within one year of getting statutory redundancy".

I was told that I do not qualify as the course start date is September 2012 and I received statutory redundancy in August 2011, so its not within a year.

Now I have also applied to SUSI but this would be a much better option.

I phoned the deciding officer and he said he would ask his superior and phone me back that he was sure it was within the course start date and not the application date.

He has not.:(

Im asking should I appeal the decision?
    Is there an acception in the exact time frame?

Thanks so much in advance for your replies.

Advertisement