Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

nice photo spots and book shops ?

Options
  • 06-08-2012 12:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭

Hi all, 2 questions in one post, and thanks in advance :)

I'm toying with the idea of taking a break in Limerick for 2 days.

Primary target is Craggaunowen, but I'll be staying in the city.

Q1 : any nice photo spots/drives near Craggaunowen, driving is not a problem, and I love small country roads and villages, but it's nice to have a goal, like a lake or a canal. Any nice spots in city too ?

Q2 : shopping : not much into clothes/chain shops, but I love smaller bookshops and gift/gadget shops, quirky things, any tips as to where to head in town ?
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭The Snipe

Down by the Canal, Clare St. have some nice shots, as does a lot of the old town, around King Johns Castle/NIcholas St. area, but be weary with your gear around here.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,822 ✭✭✭✭phog

A few options for the photography are:

When you're out by Craggaowen you could take a visit to Bunratty Folk Park.

The Clare Glens (On the Tipperary/Limerick border) is worth a visit for cascades. Close by is Glenstal Abbey. Annacotty and the Mulcair river and the salmon leap.

Around town you have the river, the various boat clubs, King John's Castle, St. Mary's Cathedral and the Hunt Museum, there's a river walk out along the Shannon, takes in Barrington's Pier with a reasonable view of the estuary, you can then cross the road to Westfields wetlands & Kilrush Church (ruin)and as Snipe mentioned you have the canal and then you can head out to UL to Plassey and the Living Bridge, best when lit up.

Curraghchase woods, Lough Gur & sun rise or sun set at the stone circle.

Askeaton Abbey, Foynes flying boat museum and Adare - the manor, the castle, abbey and the tatched cottages.

Take a drive up Gallows Hill for a view over the city and the river right down towards Tarbert.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

Thanks The Snipe, was thinking that, but didn't want to ask the question... I'll probably take a walk around there and not take out camera if it doesn't feel right.

Thanks The Snipe, was thinking that, but didn't want to ask the question... I'll probably take a walk around there and not take out camera if it doesn't feel right.

There really shouldn't be a problem if you take account of your surroundings, alternatively if you want to try and arrange a "photo walk" post here or on the photography forum and maybe have some safety in numbers.

Brilliant info there Phog, will do my homework with google later.
    Lough Gur and Clare Glens sound good, folk park too, I was there recently but no time for pics, depending on time of day and crowds...

What about Barley harbour just below the runway at Shannon ? is that accessible and nice ? could be a bit of thrill :p

• Advertisement

What about Barley harbour just below the runway at Shannon ? is that accessible and nice ? could be a bit of thrill :p

If it's the one I'm thinking off (a ramp of the road as you approch the car rentals and main car parks?) then I think it's out of bounds, it's access to their docking port.

Edit: Googled it, not the one I was talking about, never been down that far, the Honk bar was the furthest I went on that road.

Tried Google streetview, but that won't take me as far as the shore, it just stops up the road from it. I see the one you were saying, pity.

Advertisement