Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can you get the BTEA twice?

Options
  • 05-08-2012 9:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Sorry if this has been posted already. (A sort of) newbie here and couldn't find exactly what I was looking for after a search!

A friend of mine who is in his late 20's mentioned in passing that he's going to college again in September and it'll be funded by the BTEA. The thing is, he was in Sligo IT when he was around 19-21 years old and that education was funded by the Back To Education Allowance also.

I thought you could only get the BTEA once in your life (for a 3 year period)? He said once you reach mature student age (as he is now), with the consideration of being on the BTEA before mature student age, you can get the BTEA again. Can anyone verify this? I've never heard of this before and can't find any information on it.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭donegal11

Not 100% sure but I don't think Mature student status makes any difference but if he is progressing he may get it, did he do a full degree? . I think it's may be just wishful thinking from your friend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

Dept has discretion and if your on the BTEA you're off the 'unemployed list' making the figures look better.

Maybe I'm just cynical :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9 zzziltoid

donegal11 wrote: »
    Not 100% sure but I don't think Mature student status makes any difference but if he is progressing he may get it, did he do a full degree? . I think it's may be just wishful thinking from your friend.

Nope, he got a level 6 in art in and is now going back to a level 5 in multimedia. I asked if he was progressing and said no, that's why I was so confused about it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭donegal11

zzziltoid wrote: »
    Nope, he got a level 6 in art in and is now going back to a level 5 in multimedia. I asked if he was progressing and said no, that's why I was so confused about it!

No harm if your friend applies for it anyway, if your not in you can't win.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,857 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

I don't think you can get it twice

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement
Advertisement