Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Shows on the Irish Dial

Options
  • 05-08-2012 4:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭

Hey guys,

I'm an American coming to Cork in September to study at UCC, and I'm a huge radio fan. I was on the radio all four years of undergrad as a DJ and sportscaster, and I love listening to A Prairie Home Companion, This American Life, Radiolab, and other great American shows.

I was wondering what I should check out either on podcasts or live on the air. Who's doing the best and most creative stuff on radio in Ireland?

-Tyler

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 353 ✭✭EchoO

The best current affairs show would be Today with Pat Kenny on RTE Radio 1

http://www.rte.ie/radio1/todaywithpatkenny/

Doc-on-one is an archive of radio documentaries made by the national broadcaster, RTE.

http://www.rte.ie/radio1/doconone/documentary-podcast-message-in-a-bottle-frank-hayostek-breda-osullivan.html

Most creative for me would be Sean Moncrieff on Newstalk

http://www.newstalk.ie/programmes/all/moncrieff/

And Newstalk's sport show - Off the Ball

http://www.newstalk.ie/programmes/all/moncrieff/

• Registered Users Posts: 9,316 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

News at 1 on Radio 1. Still has the edge on Lunchtime on Newstalk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

Newstalk sports show Off the Ball - It's not your 'normal' sports show and will provide you with some insight as to the Irish sense of humour. It can be silly, cerebral and surreal, all in the space of a few minutes - best listened to live or on playback to get the full effect.

They Podcast their chats with Brian Murphy (of San Francisco's KNBR) on US sports & that may be of particular interest.

http://www.newstalk.ie/programmes/all/offtheball/podcasts/

• Registered Users Posts: 19 coltay

Honestly Sean moncrieff & Off The Ball on newstalk are exceptional quality. I clock up the full 6 hours a day wit them.

Off the ball at 7 - 10 is the best sport show in the world, perhaps too Irish/ Europe based for u. Give it a few weeks,doesnt matter the subject it will be interesting. No one likes all sports. I love all this show. Even murp's Country Pages/ Administrator Of The Week & silly horse racing. They make it sound exotic and exciting.

Sean Moncrieff is funny, touching and very varied. Completely weird followed by excellent political book reviews, quick break followed by a 15 minute chat on scrotums, finished with movies and booze at end of week.

Honourable mentions pat kenny on rte, ray darcy on today fm

• Registered Users Posts: 6,510 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

TAlderson wrote: »
    Hey guys,

I'm an American coming to Cork in September to study at UCC, and I'm a huge radio fan. I was on the radio all four years of undergrad as a DJ and sportscaster, and I love listening to A Prairie Home Companion, This American Life, Radiolab, and other great American shows.

I was wondering what I should check out either on podcasts or live on the air. Who's doing the best and most creative stuff on radio in Ireland?

-Tyler

IMHO you are coming to a good place for radio.

Best station in my view is RTE Radio 1.

I dont use podcast.

My favourite music shows would be John Creedon, RTE R1 at 8.30pm Mon - Fri, Pearl on Phantom FM Sunday mornings, Blue of the Night after 10pm on Lyric FM and Philip King, RTE R1 at 9pm on Sundays.

Other: History show on Newstalk Sunday evenings is probably the best single show on Irish radio in my view.
    Also, the Newstalk sports show every evening is brilliant.

Other than these, I generally wouldnt listen to any talk shows.

as mentioned, RTE Radio 1 documentaries are excellent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭win2one

Judging by the shows you mention I would recommend my fave station Dublin City F.M. though you'd have to listen via the net on www.dublincityfm.ie .

Little Stevens Underground Garage plus all sorts of Real music shows.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,927 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

I'd recommend Newstalks glibal village as well

http://www.newstalk.ie/presenters/dil-wickremasinghe/

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 4,425 ✭✭✭telekon

Ryan Tubridy and John Murray are the two most creative, informative and entertaining presenters currently on Irish radio.

However, they both occupy the same time slot. :(

But don't worry op, you can listen to Tubridy live, between 9 and 11am on 2fm, and then listen to the Murray podcast straight after. Three hours of radio bliss...

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

These are my favourites in no particular order:

The Ray Foley Show (Today FM [100-102 FM] @ 12:00-2:30pm, Monday-Friday):
    A great mix of music and general chat. Music is mostly Top-40 stuff, with other random stuff thrown in there. The presenters are fun to listen to IMO and they have a laugh on air. I'd also recommend that if you like the show you should start getting the podcast, as they do a bit of extra stuff each day.

Off The Ball (Newstalk [106-108 FM] @ 7:00-10:00pm, Monday-Friday):
    Best sports discussion show on Irish radio. The lads talk about every sport - golf, soccer, rugby, GAA, American Football - and also have some excellent interviews. They generally have a light-hearted approach to subjects, and nearly always ramble off on a tangent about something like women's shoes or pandas or something like that at least once a night.

Moncrief (Newstalk @ 1:30-4:30pm, Monday-Friday):
    Great light entertainment show. Talks about everything really, has some interesting guests and has people on every day talking about weird stuff. Fun to listen to and Seán is not afraid of taking the piss out of texters who text in rubbish.

KC at Night (Today FM @ 7:00-9:00pm, Monday-Thursday):
    One of the best shows out there at the moment. Mostly music from both the Top-40 and outside, some decent interviews with bands and general funny segments.

The RED Rooster (REDFM [104-106 FM in Cork] @ 6:00-9:00am, Monday-Friday):
    Since you'll be in Cork, you can listen to this, which despite not being at its former heights under KC(above), is still one of, if not THE, best breakfast show on Irish radio. Typical breakfast show format, just a good laugh.

Those are the ones that jump to mind anyway. Most of them have podcasts if you wanted to check them out ahead of time.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

I'd recommend Newstalks global village as well

It has its moments but veers into political correctness overdrive far too often, and the presenter's opening rants often border on creating a them v us atmosphere that doesn't really exist.

I stopped listening to it a while back, as I got fed up of being made to feel like an outsider in my own country, simply because I disagree with some of her views.

Agree with comments above re - Moncrieff, Off the Ball and The News at One.

Avoid - Mooney and Liveline. Like Global Village, these programmes are driven by the vested interests and agendas of their presenters, rather than than any consideration for what their listeners often demand.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,715 ✭✭✭DB21

I'd recommend Newstalks glibal village as well

http://www.newstalk.ie/presenters/dil-wickremasinghe/

I wouldn't. Unresearched dross of the highest order.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭win2one

Liveline to be avoided it used to be ok a hell of a long time ago, but when you hear the "caller" say " Joe when your researcher rang me this morning and asked me about......" you know who's setting the agenda.

Advertisement