Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PC build low budget (€500 inc monitor and OS )

Options
  • 04-08-2012 8:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28

1. What is your budget? [€500]

2. What will be the main purpose of the computer? Gaming (Guild Wars 2 will be the main game)

3. Do you need a copy of Windows? Yes

4. Can you use any parts from an old computer? Maybe a DVD drive but not much

5. Do you need a monitor? Yes

5a. If yes, what size do you need. Doesn't matter really, 19" will do.

5b. If no, what resolution is your current monitor and do you plan to upgrade in the near future? [1920x1080/1440x900/etc.] [Yes/No]

6. Do you need any of these peripherals? I need all except keyboard and mouse.

7. Are you willing to try overclocking? I don't know how but I'll try if it will help.

8. How can you pay? [Credit Card/Laser]

9. When are you purchasing? Around Christmas

10. If you need help building it, where are you based? I don't think I'll need help

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

The market will have changed significantly by Xmas because of the Trinity APU release, windows 8 and nvidia line up changing. Ill do you up a build shortly but to be honest it'll be useless by xmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 MrSevorg

But would it still be able to play Guild Wars 2? I'll post a link to the System Requirements and I wouldn't say they'll change much but if they do I can post a similar thread again in a couple of months. http://http://www.game-debate.com/games/index.php?g_id=684&game=Guild%20Wars%202

What I mean is I'll spec you an i3 based machine with a AMD6870 in it (for arguments sake) and you'll prbably end up buying a different higher spec for less in December :D

Deadly, so if I'm not misinterpreting what you're saying then in December I could get something that would be €500 now for a bit cheaper ?

Its not really that simple - at €500 inc monitor you will probably have to use an integrated GPU. Trinity is AMDs new APU (CPU+GPU combined) and it may be more expensive than something I recommend now but give you better performance.

I'm putting together a build for you now - at least you can ask some questions about it and start to understand the different ways components might be sold.

• Advertisement

Ok and I'll be happy to get 2nd hand parts if I'm able to get it for cheaper as long as they have a warranty.

I thought an integrated GPU would normally not be good for running games

MrSevorg wrote: »
    I thought an integrated GPU would normally not be good for running games

Intel HD4000 does an okayish job - the 7660 (IIRC) integrated into top end Trinity APUs will be similar to the discrete GPU I've spec'd below.

Item|Price
    4GB-Kit G-Skill PC3-10667U CL9|€22.04
    Toshiba DT01ACA Series 500GB, SATA 6Gb/s|€60.71
    BitFenix Merc Beta|€33.20
    ASRock H61M-HVS (B3), Sockel 1155, mATX|€41.57
    Intel Pentium G840 Box, LGA1155|€66.98
    BenQ G2025HDA|€79.00
    HIS HD 7750 iCooler GDDR5 1024MB DP/DVI/HDMI|€96.47
    Antec BasiQ VP350|€34.97
    Shipping|€18.99
    Total|€453.93

Add to this a copy of Windows 7 from software4students.ie

The link you added was broken so I can't really see the specs for GW2 but MMOs are always inclusive when it comes to spec for business reasons. The only one that wasn't was EQ2 and that bit them in the arse - even then the engine could be scaled back.

Thanks a lot :)

Oh yeah and I've checked the requirements again and this should run on high :)

• Advertisement

One more thing, would this come with all the parts to put it together? As in wires thermal paste other things (I'm a computer noob :P )

You'd need to borrow a DVD drive - I didn't include one (€20 if you want to buy one) mine sits in a draw 99% of the time. CPU is boxed so comes with a cooler with preapplied paste.

Ok so I won't need any other parts? Just a DVD drive :)

I don't know how generous Bitfenix are with screws etc - you'll need to youtube an unboxing.

If you order from HWVS (check the links) you'll need a UK Kettle lead (pref 5 amps so not ACTUALLY from a kettle) x 2 (monitor)

Keyboard and mouse

and a screw driver obviously.

I saw another case for around
    the same price, it's got a better rating than th other one. Should I buy it or not?

Link and link to review?

I don't think it will make that much difference so which ever you prefer really. I know the Bitfenix is the one that gets recommended here most.

Is the mobo combatible with the processor? It says on the information that it is compatible with i3,i5,i7. Oh and is the power supply compatible with higher graphics cards (reccomeded 450 watts i think) Sorry for all the questions :S

Yep - I checked the manual a while back - its a good question. I've also a H61 ITX (smaller than mATX) and a G540 on the way so they better work! :D

PSU is grand - if you think you might get a 7970 or 670 in the future (would cost as much as the entire machine!) then maybe go for a 550W but really once you have a decent PSU you're fine. The majority don't put out the power they claim - those ones do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,297 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

4. Can you use any parts from an old computer? Maybe a DVD drive but not much
    Is the DVD an IDE drive? If it is, consider buying a €20 SATA DVD drive - most new mobos don't have IDE ports, so it'll make it easier to get a mobo. Also, get one that can burn DVD's - handy for burning stuff to a disc to give to people that you don't want to have to chase down to get a USB stick back off and make sure the front of it is black so that it fits with your case well.
    Deadly, so if I'm not misinterpreting what you're saying then in December I could get something that would be €500 now for a bit cheaper ?
    El cheapo mobo at xmas may include shiner features, added mini PCI-E slots (handy for sound cards, etc) better graphics card, etc.
    (I'm a computer noob :P )
    For an extra €20 or so, they'll put it together for you, but it'd be a VERY GOOD IDEA to take all the memory and cards out and back in again when you receive the computer, as those sometimes get loose in such journeys. As you say you're a n00b, read this to ensure you don't accidentally fry your computer with static.

In my opinion - Do not use HWVS build service - more and more horror stories.

If you need help building spend €20 on beer and invite someone from here over.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,297 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

In my opinion - Do not use HWVS build service - more and more horror stories.
    Off topic, but do tell. Have been telling n00bs to use the service, but if it's sh|te, I'd want to know, so they don't fcuk up peoples systems.

Well at first we where putting it down to shipping. You dont want 1KG+ of cooler attached to a motherboard shipped anywhere let alone halfway across Europe.

Next it seemed they where getting a bit sloppy with cable management - no worse than most OEMs.

Then this.

I've been looking around on the internet for a while now :P obviously in a year or two I will need to upgrade this to play future games. What should I start with? I'm thinking graphics card but it would have to be compatible with the mobo yes?

You can pop a new GPU is practically any machine - the issue is is it worth it rather than is it compatible.

The answer is almost always yes.

Upgrade cycles are continuous - if you buy the right components you can minimise the cost.

The basics are: A retail OS (not an OEM one) Decent PSU, case and storage - these rarely change - I had HDDs from 8 years ago I only recently got rid of.

Next a CPU, Mobo and RAM - these change every 4 years or so

GPU - probably change this every 2 years

So I go though 2 GPUs to each mobo and 2 mobos to each case and HDD.

very roughly speaking of course.

Well you know the way the ASrock Mobo said LGA 1155? Say on a 1156 CPU or I don't know, a 756 CPU, would they be compatible? Also, I will probably upgrade to an i5 when I get the money and a HD 7790 GPU i think it is?

That is, depending on how things have changed, I might go for the mid-high level CPU or GPU of the time, but I'll probably do GPU first. Also I think I will do 8gb RAM instead of 4gb as it is not much more expensive so it seems worth it for the extra memory power :)

LGA 1156 are i5 First gen. LGA 1155 are 2nd and 3rd gen. You have to get the CPU to match the mobo.

GPU will plug into pretty much anything.

Your cycle will be Build - use the intergrated GPU. Use for a year buy a decent GPU. Use for 2 buy a new Mobo, RAM, CPU - keep GPU for a year - buy a new GPU.

• Advertisement

Well if I had say, and extra 50 or 100 euro, what would you tell me to buy then for the first build?

Advertisement