Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dole Cohbitation Confusion - please help.

Options
  • 04-08-2012 4:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hi

I'm just about to finish my Master's course and will be applying for jobs almost as soon as I finish (I finish on 30th August). I am planning on applying for jobseeker's while I am looking for jobs.

Up until now I have been living off a college grant and my partner has been helping me out also. We are cohabiting and his annual salary is 30,000. I have no income at all.

Will his income disqualify me from Jobseeker's? I don't understand how the cohabitation means test is calculated.

Any help/advice would really be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

This is only a rough guide!take your partner's weekly income minus €60 this should be near enough your means.If there are only the two of you your max weekly income from the dept would be (188 plus 124.80 = €312.80)if the figure you got earlier is way above the 312.80 you will probably not qualify for a JSA payment

On the other hand if you are near enough to the 312 figure go ahead and apply.If you don't get a payment ask to sign for credits.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭eastbono

mp22 wrote: »
    This is only a rough guide!take your partner's weekly income minus €60 this should be near enough your means.If there are only the two of you your max weekly income from the dept would be (188 plus 124.80 = €312.80)if the figure you got earlier is way above the 312.80 you will probably not qualify for a JSA payment

On the other hand if you are near enough to the 312 figure go ahead and apply.If you don't get a payment ask to sign for credits.

mp22 this calculation of partners earnings as means is incorrect its gross weekly wages less prsi then there is a disregard of up to a maximum of €60 if partner is working 3 days or more. You subtract €60 from gross weekly wages and then 60% of this figure will be means against op for jsa. Lets assume partners earnings of €30000 are gross earnings then op would receive a payment of €2.65 pw from sw. I have not deducted prsi from €30000 as I do not know what prsi is being paid by ops partner.
    Op may not qualify to sign for credits... criteria for signing for credits http://www.welfare.ie/EN/Publications/sw12/Pages/2Whocanqualifyforcredits.aspx

Advertisement