Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

diesel engine slight misfire.

Options
  • 04-08-2012 3:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

I have an old diesel car, a 95 lancer 2.0d with a slight misfire in the engine. It starts fine in all weather and has no apparent miss at idle, its when you put the power on that it starts with the misfire, you can feel a shudder back up the steering - the engine uses no oil and is not a high miler. valve clearances checked and ok.

Its a DPA type pump with mechanical injectors [none of this modern common rail and electronic injectors]

I m wondering about injectors or the pump or is there something else I should be looking at - any ideas. thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Squ

I have the same on a 07 deisel civic.. After over run when i give it any throttle, it missfires for about 2 or 3 seconds, then grand again..

I brought it to des darcys who couldn't find anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

Dirt along the lines somewhere methinks. I had a problem with my 98 406 where it was hhesitant on accelerating, I cleaned the sender in the tank, bled it fully and happy days car was idling and accelerating right again.

Also check the injectors, the return pipes might be working loose and letting diesel out on the engine

• Registered Users Posts: 10 ntech

I wouldnt consider it to be dirt anywhere as the filter is regulary changed and has no signs of dirt inside. also the engine is completely dry so no leaks anywhere.

Also the misfire is there most of the time when you put the power on.
    its causing lack of power etc

ntech wrote: »
    I wouldnt consider it to be dirt anywhere as the filter is regulary changed and has no signs of dirt inside. also the engine is completely dry so no leaks anywhere.

Also the misfire is there most of the time when you put the power on.
    its causing lack of power etc

It's what the filter doesn't pick up ;)

This might seem tame but was enough to cause my 406 to run like crap. Fuel level indicator/ sender in the tank. Cleaned out, ran smooth once more :)
    Image254.jpg

Do you have an EGR in your car?

thanks dgt for the info - I will remove and check the level indicator in the next day or so. I hadnt thought about it but seems like a good place to start, thanks for the photo and the tip - will post what I find.

• Advertisement

on the EGR question, there is one in this old car believe it or not.

Glad to be of some help :)

It might be sticking, causing excessive smoke and poor running. Might be also worth a look if it is any way easy to access :)

dgt wrote: »
    Glad to be of some help :)

It might be sticking, causing excessive smoke and poor running. Might be also worth a look if it is any way easy to access :)

I had a look at the tank but my sender unit has only wires on it, no fuel pipes. They must go in somewhere else. I tried to take out the sender to have a look in but the bolts were seized .

So i guess it's back to the drawing board, will probably have to remove the tank to check further.

The egr is working fine.

Advertisement