Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Miniature Schnauzer

Options
  • 04-08-2012 12:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭

Hi there, I am looking for a miniature schnauzer pup or young dog, salt and pepper male in the Dublin area but willing to travel the country. Does anyone know of a reputable breeder or someone they can recommend who has bred mini schnauzers? Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

Did you check the breeder section on the IKC website? They should be able to point you in the right direction.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭BubbleBuddy

Did you check the breeder section on the IKC website? They should be able to point you in the right direction.

I did AB thanks, I checked online and phoned the IKC but apparently they've no breeder information that's up to date and I've got no response to the old data online. I've no idea why this has been so difficult! They did suggest go to the next few dog shows and speak to any breeders there, which may have to be my next move. I'm not looking for a show dog just a family pet, but have been interested in the mini schnauzers for years.

That's a shame. I would check the KC site then. Might be able to put you in touch with breeders over the border.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

I'd think that going to a show or two would be a good way to go, but do arm yourself with as much research as you can do into this breed. I have never lived with a Mini Schnau (they are damn cute though :D) but it seems to me that they are one of the unhealthiest breeds around, in terms of congenital and hereditary medical conditions. So, whilst with other breeds, you might get away with chancing it with a dodgy breeder, this particular breed is not one you can take chances with in that regard. Anyone I know who owns an ethical Mini Schnau had to go to the UK to buy :(
    However, it might be worth having a look at breeders in Northern Ireland. Again, I have no personal experience with Miniature Scnauzers, but it seems that if you do your research, it is easier to find good, ethical breeders in the north than the south for some breeds.
    Good luck with your search, they are fab lil dogs!

Edited to add: I just noticed that Abajanincork mentioned trying up north before me! The UK KC is trying a lot harder than the IKC to improve things, and so the NI breeders are subject to these efforts. Besides which, there just seems to be a generally more professional, ethical approach in the UK and NI when it comes to matters dog.

They are super cute and real little characters! I do hope you find your new friend soon.

• Advertisement

Many thanks for help DBB and ABajaninCork, maybe I'll look further afield and into N Ireland. I didn't think of N Ireland actually and worth checking out. As regard the health, I knew there were health issues but will dig deeper into conditions I need to look out for.

I agree, they are damn cute! :D (and not bad with children, hence first choice)

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭spatchco

Well having had 2 Miniature Schnauzers which took over after the owners had to give up i will say with out fear of contradiction that they were the best dogs i have ever owner,and i never had any major problems with there health and they both lived till they were 13-14 years, i could go on writing about them ,but it to long a story,just to say good luck and dont be put off by people saying dont touch any dog in Buy and Sell,if you were very very lucky our present miniature schnauzer came to us through the site she was 6 years old and a recession dog,but she is perfect we love her and yes they are perfect with children

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭Jennypops

Hi OP,

Agree they are fab dogs, great temperament and very cute!
    There are health issues that you really need to be aware of and I'd steer clear of any breeders who fail to carry out the relevant checks on their lines. I'm not going to try and explain they congenital eye condition as I wouldnt do a very good job, if you have a look on Facebook there is a great page called miniature schnauzer Ireland and there is lots of info on there as well as advice on breeders etc. Id pop a question up on there and I'm sure you old get lots of help relevant to the breed.
    And donedeal, buy and sell etc...not worth the risk, puppy farmers, no proper health tests for breed specific issues.

Don't forget to show us piccies when you get your new mate! :D

Just want to say thanks for help from users above with advice in getting miniature schnauzer, we've had him nearly 7 weeks now, loving every minute of his cheeky, cheeky (very cheeky!) personality.

Still working on the housetraining and nipping but getting there. We ended up driving up North to get him so he's registered and a happy boy.

Photo: http://flic.kr/p/dhTg8G

• Advertisement

Awww - he's so CUTE!!! Can I have him? :P:P

Congrats on your new friend, and hope you have many happy years together. As a matter of interest, did you get him here or over the border?

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭aisher

Lovely dog - congrats!!

Awww - he's so CUTE!!! Can I have him? :P:P

Congrats on your new friend, and hope you have many happy years together. As a matter of interest, did you get him here or over the border?

Couldn't part with him! Got him over the border - difficult to find! Met the parents (!) and liked the breeders attitude and her interest in him even since he's left her. Well worth the drive up.

Advertisement